20 years in the making. 72-fj55 (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't got dad back into the FJ55 for another try for that cheeseburger. One of the main reasons for getting this back on the road was to share it with dad while I still can. Anywho, that's neither here nor there. I've been driving it more, Working on it less, and generally having a great time with it, which should be the entire point of owning it. Saturday I drove it to Sacramento to check out some ultra beefcake tube audio amplifiers ~250 miles round trip. It ran great, no problems at all. I've had one issue begin to develop which Is a clunk in the steering.
I lifted the front end and shook it down with a pry bar, torqued my trunion caps, checked my wheel bearings, shocks, spring and shackle bushings and everything seems copesetic. It should be, I just went through it all. So last night after a trip to the park to watch the sunset, I lifted the hood to check the shaft between the box and column. Sure enough both u joints are shedding red dust, which explains the extra steering effort, and the front one is developing play, which is for certain the clunk that I'm hearing. They don't have zerk fittings so they can be assumed to still be running on 52 year old fish renderings. That's a good thing. During the inspection I noted that after several 4x4 runs through the woods and a few deep puddles, the steering balls are dry, so are the brake backing plates. There's no grease/gear oil/ brake fluid whatsoever.
That's a good thing.
My issue getting it started in the cold has been fixed by removing the top of the carb and replacing the brand new and perforated accelerator pump seal with a 50 year old original (made of alcohol resistant leather).
Glad I saved that.
I also went through the ignition with new points, and condenser and i timed it ~12° advanced from tdc and plugged the line to the vacuum retard mechanism.
Now it climbs hills at 50 in 3rd gear instead of 25 in second. These days I'm driving it quite a bit more than I'm working on it. That's another good thing.
It doesn't seem to turn heads the way it did when I first brought it out, or maybe I'm just getting used to it. Yesterday I guy in a Nissan patrol troppie (I think thatscwhat it was) rubber necked me pretty good, but I rubber necked him pretty good back. Whatever he was driving is not usdm, not often seen in this country.

20240315_172139.jpg
20240315_171942.jpg

So glad to see you using you pig as intended. Hoping the brake cylinders I sent you are working out. Nice pictures.
I used a few of yours a few of my originals, and a few off the parts truck to end up with a full set of TEQ castings in the correct position with the correct rotation to tighten/loosen. All of them run through a vibratory parts washer, cleaned, dried, honed, painted and then re-sealed.
Big thanks to everyone who sent me stuff.
A full set of original cylinders is getting hard to come by...

Last edited:
Over the past week or so I've buttoned up a number of small issues that have been nagging at me when I drive it. I had a few coolant leaks from my new radiator hoses, nipped them up, and installed a radiator overflow tube to the overflow tank. Now i no longer have coolant dripping.

While I was there I found a missing bolt on my fan shroud and another that was getting loose. Replace and tightened, and no more issue there. (Probably accounts for at least one intermittent rattle/noise)

I had a u joint start to develop play in my rear driveline. A brand new u joint, somehow isn't working right. I replaced that a few days back, pumped it full of chassis grease.
I began rummaging through my parts stash and found an original dome lamp bulb, installed that and cycled the switch until the contacts cleaned up and now we have a dome light. I'm excited that I don't actually need to remove the headliner to run a wire for that. I had assumed that it was removed sometime about 20 years ago... ahh, that's a good thing.

I had a noise from the clutch throwout, determined it was misadjusted, and missing a spring. Much quieter going down the road now...

last night I cleaned the ground on my left front marker light, followed by the right rear marker light. Now I've got a full set of working original markers. a good thing!

I've noticed when driving that my right turn signal doesn't click. I got into checking that out yesterday and determined that a bulb wasn't quite seated in the housing. Now all my blinkies work!
I found the rear heater from my parts truck power's right up I'm not sure what I'll do with it, but at some point soon I should determine what's necessary to get my rear heater to run. I imagine I just need to run a wire to it, to provide electromotive force...
Little detail items like these haven't cost me even $100 to fix. They take time, patience and a fair amount of skill, but not a lot of money.
Maybe today I'll paint my jack tools and crank arm. I've been needing to do that...
Also, there's a splash guard that needs to be cleaned up and replaced to help keep water out of the engine compartment.
Simple low cost detail items that feel real good to have fixed.
Check out that original sheet metal.
No tin worm here! That's why I feel that this little piggy deserves to be preserved. I just need to keep busy at it...

20240324_134238.jpg

I ordered 4x u joints about a year ago from one of my main suppliers and I got a brand I've never used before SKF.
Skf usually makes bearings I think, but I've only ever seen skf u joints this one time.
If this one won't hold up, I'll try a Spicer, or maybe go with factory toyota... Since I've got a stock F engine, I'm going to step out on a limb and say it was probably installer error that caused that joint to fail early. Probably can rile out horsepower as the cause of failure... I put in another SKF, because that's what I had sitting on the shelf. Only time will tell.

Slip joint has some play but it's miniscule compared to that u joint. The hand dial indicator says .005" or less. I'm calling that within tolerance.
I've worked a number of years in the transmission industry and I don't honestly think I've seen a 4x4 slip joint that didn't have any play...

I had the exact same thing happen with Spicer U-joints.
Kurt @cruiseroutfit had me try his Matsuba - Japanese U-Joints and they solved all my issues.

UJ36030.jpg
Nice! I'll use up my stock of what I've got and if problems still persist, I'll give the matsubas a try.
One thing I need to source soon is u joints for my steering shaft maybe Matsuba will have them, I'll check them first... Thanks for the heads up!

Nice! I'll use up my stock of what I've got and if problems still persist, I'll give the matsubas a try.
One thing I need to source soon is u joints for my steering shaft maybe Matsuba will have them, I'll check them first... Thanks for the heads up!

The Matsuba's rock. Made in Japan, great applications for Land Cruisers and they are robust. We've got customer racing on them, customers driving around the world on them and thousands and thousand of daily drivers. Zero complaints!

Just read through your build thread, what a cool story. Glad you got this thing buttoned up and back on the road!

It's a work in progress, but I've decided against doing any kind of work that would have it down for more than a weekend or require major engineering.
I prefer to keep driving it and tackling the small issues, while saving and planning to tackle a few of the big ones.
Mainly, what am I going to do with the interior.
There's a few dents to fix.
I think the transmission/t-case could use bearings, but then again maybe they all howl like that...
For now, I can live with these problems...

"C" pillar mount looks new compared to most 😉. We need more pics of this Pig 😉
OK.
Today was my birthday and I had made plans with my friend Alan, to hang out, without a real plan. So we got together after coffee and decided it would be a good day to go bass fishing in one of the private ponds on his family ranch. We stopped by a dispensary for supplies then headed out. There was a little bit of minor 4x4 low range required to get to the spot, but I caught about 5 large mouth bass and Alan caught at least ten. Got some good photos of the iron pig in some beautiful scenery. Enjoy.
20240326_160215.jpg
20240326_133025.jpg
20240326_155908.jpg
20240326_160212.jpg
20240326_151058.jpg
20240326_160215.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom