Builds 1997 FZJ80 to HDJ80 1HD-FTE + H152F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EPIC.

First start. Excuse the f-bombs, we were pretty excited. 🤗

Next, yes we got a janky engine bay going right now, it’s fully rigged. This is simply because we don’t have every piece in hand to finish the build but with receiving the harness a few days ago it was time to fire this up, find any issues to deal with and move forward. What a glorious end of the day it was. 😍

Cheers

Here is air flow through our cooling pack at idle. 😁

Also happening...

36524702-B1AF-43E1-A8BD-12133B14456C.jpeg
B7A1B5E3-061D-4B8D-8718-F53BFEE4971F.jpeg
8222E8DB-F5DC-4E5C-A46C-5F11184C6197.jpeg

Cheers

So after the tests tonight, zero leaks anywhere. Super cool for an NOS long block that sat in a warehouse in the Middle East for 20yrs. 😎

Boost seems to be coming on in the 1300-1400rpm rage, probably a touch early but not sure at this time. I have a feeling this FTE is going to put out some impressive numbers. We have a 4-wheel dyno right next to my shop we can run it up on to get numbers. Obviously that is end of build.

Obviously we got some “dummy” lights on that we need to deal with. Temp gauge and oil pressure as well. All this will get worked out and dialed in before we go finalizing our wiring harnesses and wrapping them. We have multiple mounting brackets to Fab up in the engine bay for fuel filters, Spill Tube ECU, catch can and so forth. We are deleting the factory intake and installing an flange like @Jorgito posted above. Snorkel & air box is 4” to turbo, intercooler and rest of intake plumbing will be 3”.

I can’t wait to test drive this Cruiser! 😁

Cheers

The videos in post #885 showing the intake hose (#22068) appears to be kinked at the top bend making a restriction in the intake.

Great achievement, really happy how this truck is getting together.

Boost seems to be coming on in the 1300-1400rpm rage, probably a touch early but not sure at this time. I have a feeling this FTE is going to put out some impressive numbers. We have a 4-wheel dyno right next to my shop we can run it up on to get numbers. Obviously that is end of build.
Is the MAP sensor properly hooked up? There is VSV for the MAP sensor if I am not mistaken, when the car starts it takes the pressure without the turbo as a reference to calculate properly the values from the MAP sensor afterward. I don't see that VSV there. That IP seems quiet if I compare it to mine 100 series 1hd-fte IP which screams too loud.

vacuum.png

EDIT: there is nothing wrong to run without VSV and many people do that, it results in running higher PSI ( 2-3).

Last edited:
The videos in post #885 showing the intake hose (#22068) appears to be kinked at the top bend making a restriction in the intake.
That’s just a temporary connection so it will crank. You cannot seriously think that would be the final product on this truck. This truck was originally going to be set up as an FT so the PDI kit we have is going to need a few modifications. It was decided to wait and see how everything was situated in the engine bay before going further.

This engine is about as close as you can make it to being what it would have been like in 2006 or so when these were rolling off the line at Yoshiwara.

Everything, I mean everything-- down to nuts, bolts and washers-- is a Toyota factory part number. There were no hardware store parts on this, no BBQ fittings, no nothing that would have not been like it was from the factory.

Kudos to this team: @SNLC and his team, Thrashlux in Oz, @Indestructible 47 (thanks for the parts support brother), and @jmlockwood for having the vision to have this setup in his 80 series. A great group of expertise and an awesome group of true professionals.

There are a lot of little things now to square away but having this engine running and purring as smoothly as it does was huge. We all sighed a collective sigh of relief it all came together so perfectly.

I'm proud to be a part of this design and build team. Very satisfying professionally and personally.

It is called improvising. I knew somebody would comment on it and I almost wasn’t going to post these videos because people like to make assumptions.

We set goals for ourselves in my shop. Two days ago when we got the engine harness that was to fire this FTE up. I was not going to wait simply because I didn’t have the right hose. I also wasn’t going to waste hours driving all over town for a hose. The goal here was to fire it up, check everything, outline what we need to do and that is it.

This is a “build” folks, it is in the build stages. When it is done and if you think it is janky then, by all means say so but it is far from done at this stage.

Cheers

@SNLC were you bypassing the inter cooler for the test run? That is what I assumed from the video, I don’t know much about the intricacies of these diesels. By the way I enjoyed the videos so thanks for posting them, that engine seems to run quieter and smoother than a gas engine. This is a very impressive build and it’s cool to see it come together.

@SNLC were you bypassing the inter cooler for the test run? That is what I assumed from the video, I don’t know much about the intricacies of these diesels. By the way I enjoyed the videos so thanks for posting them, that engine seems to run quieter and smoother than a gas engine. This is a very impressive build and it’s cool to see it come together.

Yes bypassed the IC. It was just rigged up to run.

Cheers

It is called improvising. I knew somebody would comment on it and I almost wasn’t going to post these videos because people like to make assumptions.

We set goals for ourselves in my shop. Two days ago when we got the engine harness that was to fire this FTE up. I was not going to wait simply because I didn’t have the right hose. I also wasn’t going to waste hours driving all over town for a hose. The goal here was to fire it up, check everything, outline what we need to do and that is it.

This is a “build” folks, it is in the build stages. When it is done and if you think it is janky then, by all means say so but it is far from done at this stage.

Cheers
Hell, I was impressed. I said "Damnnnnn, @SNLC even specs Gates hose for temporary jerryrigging!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom