Builds 1991 FJ75 moving to America (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Cruiserheads! May your hearts be full of the joy of our Savior, your bellies full of good food, and your garages full of Land Cruisers.

(dropping this pic in my build thread for posterity)
800christmastree.jpg
Merry Christmas to you all Joel!

:cheers: Demetrios

Front Door Rebuild
It's been awhile since I've had any time to tinker with my cruisers. But the doors are in need of work... and I've got nearly all the parts.

So the panels came off.
801doorstripped.jpg

And I've got the passenger side completely stripped down. Thoroughly cleaning it inside and out...
802doorcleaned.jpg

The condition of the hardware after all the fesh-fesh is cleaned off just amazes me.
803hardware.jpg

The window channel had a lot of rust down inside.
804windowchannel.jpg

Spectrum was painted over Damplifier inside the door.
805spectrum.jpg

806spectrum.jpg

807spectrum.jpg

And the window channel has been painted up with Mastercoat. Struggling to get the window back into the channel with the new rubber filler.
808channelpainted.jpg

809channelfiller.jpg

Rekeying
"While I'm in here..."

I'd snagged a complete new lockset while overseas and hoarded it for the appropriate time. This seemed like the best time to swap over.
810lockset.jpg

Love the new keys.
811keys.jpg

I swapped out the ignition and painted the clamshell to the match the rest of my dash.
812ignition.jpg

The lockset came with everything... ignition, front doors, back door, two fuel doors, glovebox, and even a spare tire lug nut lock. Incidentally, I'll have a spare set if someone's interested. Still works but is old and dirty.
813lockset.jpg

I like to have extra keys... so I reached out to @ToyotaMatt for some OEM cut keys. That guy does not disappoint and his goodie bags always include some extra treats! I just sent him a photo of the original keys and their 5-digit code... and he took care of the rest. Thanks a bunch sir!
814toyotamatt.jpg

"While I'm in here..."

I'd snagged a complete new lockset while overseas and hoarded it for the appropriate time. This seemed like the best time to swap over.
810lockset.jpg

Love the new keys.
811keys.jpg

I swapped out the ignition and painted the clamshell to the match the rest of my dash.
812ignition.jpg

The lockset came with everything... ignition, front doors, back door, two fuel doors, glovebox, and even a spare tire lug nut lock. Incidentally, I'll have a spare set if someone's interested. Still works but is old and dirty.
813lockset.jpg

I like to have extra keys... so I reached out to @ToyotaMatt for some OEM cut keys. That guy does not disappoint and his goodie bags always include some extra treats! I just sent him a photo of the original keys and their 5-digit code... and he took care of the rest. Thanks a bunch sir!
814toyotamatt.jpg
Diesel in your future?

I might hit you up for the "old" lock set. New one seem very hard to find... at least by me. Mostly I'm after the locking glove box latch.

Nice to see you posting up goody upgrades.

Best thing I ever did to my FZJ75 was to install a new lock set all around. I'm sure you know this but one of the keys that come with that set is a valet key. It won't open the glove box lock.

Edit: Nice job on the clamshell. It matches really well.

Last edited:
Diesel in your future?

I might hit you up for the "old" lock set. New one seem very hard to find... at least by me. Mostly I'm after the locking glove box latch.

Nice to see you posting up goody upgrades.

No diesel in my future... the 3F is running just fine. The glow keychain was just a nice treat from Matt.

Best thing I ever did to my FZJ75 was to install a new lock set all around. I'm sure you know this but one of the keys that come with that set is a valet key. It won't open the glove box lock.

Edit: Nice job on the clamshell. It matches really well.

Yes, the smaller headed one is the valet key. Pretty cool feature... not sure where'd I'd valet park a Troopy. :rofl:
I've unified the dash quite a bit now... the steering wheel is in need of a color change now somehow.

Question for you all...

I've got the door mechanism linkage "silencer" as one of the parts for the door rebuild. I'm unsure how it is supposed to be installed. Any suggestions? @OGBeno or @SNLC or @c2dfj45 maybe... you guys get into the weeds on these types of parts too.

815moreparts.jpg

816linkagesilencer.jpg

This is what I've come up with but I don't think it's right. It's getting pinched by the linkage which contacts the door housing.
817tight.jpg

It goes on the other end by the handle. Original location, more or less.

Edit: I think I did push those a little further to the right when I put the new ones in but before the first door card clip hole.

1708950011604.png

Last edited:
It goes on the other end by the handle. Original location, more or less.

Edit: I think I did push those a little further to the right when I put the new ones in but before the first door card clip hole.

View attachment 3567479
Thanks for this, much appreciated! So the rod does just pass inside the split portion of the foam.

Quick question... on your doors did you find the connecting rod there in contact with the door itself? See the circle below... my rod contacts the metal there and I was thinking I may need to shape/form the rod a bit to eliminate that.
1708958534467.png

Based on my photo Joel, I'm pretty sure it doesn't as there isn't any paint missing. I would honestly have to pull my door card to verify. Are those new rods? Can't remember if I replaced mine or not.

Now you have me second guessing my foam placement but on the other hand, if the rod is rubbing the door and you used the foam to prevent that, I'm pretty sure the foam wouldn't last very long. My theory on the foam is that it's to prevent the rod from rattling and not as a stand-off to prevent the rod from rubbing against the door.

Joel, when I pulled my door cards off my foam was right where @WarDamnEagle mentioned. I too have paint missing from where you've circled.

I ended up using very thin packing foam and some double sided tape and putting it in both locations. The foam should stop the rattling of the rod. So far so good, but obviously not OEM.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, much appreciated! So the rod does just pass inside the split portion of the foam.

Quick question... on your doors did you find the connecting rod there in contact with the door itself? See the circle below... my rod contacts the metal there and I was thinking I may need to shape/form the rod a bit to eliminate that.
View attachment 3567510

Sorry I'm a little late to the door party, had to dig out some photos to make sure. I have a set of pristine 2014 GR79 new take off doors that show the "silencer" in a different position. It's closer to where the connecting rod might rub, and seems to keep it from rubbing if it stays in place. It was in the same position on both doors.

grj79 new takeoff.jpg

Sorry I'm a little late to the door party, had to dig out some photos to make sure. I have a set of pristine 2014 GR79 new take off doors that show the "silencer" in a different position. It's closer to where the connecting rod might rub, and seems to keep it from rubbing if it stays in place. It was in the same position on both doors.

View attachment 3570090

That is a super-helpful image. Wow, thanks!
Out of curiosity, it's hard to tell in the photo, but where does the door handle rod pass through the plastic barrier? Is it immediately to the left of the silencer foam?

Looking good! When I am browsing Partsouq for this thing it is so easy to just keep on adding to cart-- how do you know when to end?
Well... I find there are about 5 stages to parts shopping for a project like this.

1. Research the parts needed on the EPC and assemble a detailed list by part type, quantity, and part number.
  2. Go look at your truck, determine there are a few more parts missing that you didn't see just from the EPC, so you go back and revise your list.

(It's at this point you feel cocky... you start thinking to yourself "Dang, I'm a freakin' parts wizard right up there with @OGBeno !")

3. You order your parts from your chosen vendor. You're now getting pretty giddy about the upcoming project and all the fresh new parts bags you're gonna get to open.
  4. You post up some pics on MUD and someone makes note of a part they don't see... and you realize you don't have that part... but it's clear now you need it. This stage can also be accompanied by a wisecrack about how one of your parts is wrong... and they're right. (in my case it was @orikawa dropping by to take a look at my Troopy doors and take measurements... and he noted how I was missing the outer window felt/seals!... which led me into Step 5)
  5. Dejected you now scramble for that final rush order of parts to finish your job. This can often become a scramble for multiple final rush orders of parts.

Job done!

Last edited:
That is a super-helpful image. Wow, thanks!
Out of curiosity, it's hard to tell in the photo, but where does the door handle rod pass through the plastic barrier? Is it immediately to the left of the silencer foam?
More or less in the middle of the large hole.

1DBCA94F-836F-470D-9C9D-DBB3FD7AA738.jpeg

More or less in the middle of the large hole.

View attachment 3570610

I thought it was immediately to the left of the silencer foam too, then saw the area @WarDamnEagle circled and now I'm unsure :hmm: I don't have a better photo showing it more clearly, but in the interest of uncovering this exciting door detail, I can dig one out and pop the panel off. Any other details you might be intersted in while I'm in there?

If you had @orikawa over does that mean he's going to make panels for Troopies, and offer really cool access for the rear panels like he has for 60's? Man he makes neat stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom