Builds 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Manifold-Turbo Gasket:

816.jpg

Cool to see the writing on the gasket itself:

817.jpg

And then a few photos of the exhaust/Turbo assembly on the engine:

818.jpg

819.jpg

820.jpg

Pretty happy how the water lines turned out, granted it is all Factory items, but Toyota knew how to make them look nice.

I should have added this before, but Onur sent me this when I was putting together the exhaust manifold. There are Two (2) O-rings that go on the smaller section of the manifold (Cylinders 5 and 6), two (2) rings that go over the O-rings, and then the collar pictured above:

821.png

And a photo of the engine gasket kit part number:

822.JPG

I will be installing a Boost Compensator (which will probably need input from those who have done it already @Delancy @sbechtold @ForealBoreal), and I will be using the stock port on the Cross-Over Charge Pipe for the Boost Compensator so went ahead and drilled/tapped an extra port to use my existing ISSPRO Boost Gauge.

823.JPG

824.JPG

825.JPG

826.JPG

I also had an auxiliary ISSPRO coolant temperature gauge on the 3B, and I want to retain the same gauges for the 1HZ. I've read a bit on how people configure the stock temperature sender and auxiliary temperature sender on the 1HZ. It seems that some 1HZ's came with the temperature sender on the outlet elbow of the engine, and some others are directly mounted on the LEFT side of the engine, right under the cylinder 5 intake pipe (both locations seem to be from Factory). And I have even seen some 1HZ's that don't have a port for a sender on the outlet elbow of the engine, which normally have the temperature sender on the cylinder block. The two typical locations are indicated with the yellow and red arrow of the photo below:

827.jpg

Mine, as shown on the photo above, had the temperature sender on the cylinder block (red arrow) and a plug on the outlet elbow of the engine (yellow arrow).

I decided to use the port location on the outlet elbow of the engine to install the factory temperature sender and use the location on the cylinder block to install the auxiliary temperature sender. That way the wiring from the auxiliary gauge would be mostly hidden under the engine. The photo below shows the new outlet elbow with the factory temperature sender already installed:

828.jpg

When I bought my ISSPRO gauges, the coolant temperature sender came with 3 or 4 adapters. The original ISSPRO sender is 1/8" National Pipe Thread (NPT), and ISSPRO provides on their kit adapters from the 1/8" NPT to 1/4" NPT, 3/8" NPT, and 1/2" NPT. None of these adapters threaded on the factory temperature sender locations, so I started doing some reading and it seems that the Factory temperature sender is 3/8" British Standard Pipe Thread (BSPT) (experts, please correct me if I am wrong). I had a VERY hard time finding a 1/8" NPT to 3/8" BSPT. In some Toyota Supra forum (I couldn't find more information about this on IH8MUD), a guy mentioned that he was able to use an M16x1.5 adapter to solve the same issue. I went ahead and bought an M16x1.5 adapter from ISSPRO to see if it would work on the stock sender locations and found out that it doesn't work...

Then I noticed that the plug that was on the outlet elbow of my 1HZ seemed to be a solid plug, so I decided to use that as an adapter and drilled it and tap it on the center with the 1/8" NPT that I needed:

829.jpg

830.jpg

831.jpg

832.jpg

I bought a BSPT tee and BSPT/NPT adapter from McMaster. Added much unwanted lengths of pipe.

I bought a BSPT tee and BSPT/NPT adapter from McMaster. Added much unwanted lengths of pipe.

Thanks for sharing this, it is always good to know McMaster-Carr carries these things. Though it seems that I always have a hard time finding anything on McMaster. They carry such a wide range of things that I don't doubt that they might have had it, just couldn't find it easy enough :). I got lucky that the plug on the outlet of my 1HZ was a solid plug and I could drill it to make an adapter for this.

Thanks again for sharing this about McMaster!

The McMaster-Carr app for ipad lets you "drill down" as you choose from all possible attributes.

I needed to provide a npt connection for my future mchanical oil press gauge as well as the oem electric type.

Your solution is cleaner.

I will be installing a Boost Compensator (which will probably need input from those who have done it already @Delancy @sbechtold @ForealBoreal), and I will be using the stock port on the Cross-Over Charge Pipe for the Boost Compensator so went ahead and drilled/tapped an extra port to use my existing ISSPRO Boost Gauge.

@ForealBoreal has the most experience. I've been reading the tuning thread, but have yet to do much beyond installing the boost comp and setting the fuel screw so she runs good EGT's. Planning to tackle the fuel pin mods shortly. I'll be watching you put us all to shame based on the quality of work you do. :D

@ForealBoreal has the most experience. I've been reading the tuning thread, but have yet to do much beyond installing the boost comp and setting the fuel screw so she runs good EGT's. Planning to tackle the fuel pin mods shortly. I'll be watching you put us all to shame based on the quality of work you do. :D

I am not doing much of quality other than bolting a bunch of Toyota parts :confused:. I will probably still pick your brain on how to even get the Boost Compensator bolted to the injection pump if you don't mind :).

For the Turbo Feed/Drain adapter flange, I bought a nice machined piece from Arizona (AZ) Performance. The supply side is AN-4 and the drain side is AN-10 sized fittings. I got the adapter flange from a place called Driftmotion, which seems to cater mostly to the MR2/Supra community:

AZ Performance CT26 Oil Drain/Feed Flange

833.jpg

834.jpg

Also, got the hose and clamps for the Waste Gate Actuator:

835.jpg

The part number for the outlet elbow of the Turbo:

836.jpg

And the gasket from the Turbo to the outlet elbow:

837.jpg

Build is coming along nicely! I need to get down for another visit!

Installed new Terrain Tamer glow plugs I got from Georg and Ward @orangefj45 @wardharris. They are nice glow plugs made by SANKEI in Japan. Thanks for sending these, Georg!

838.jpg

839.jpg

For some reason the torque on FSM for glow plusg seems to be awfully low

840.jpg

As for boost comp, still jacking with mine, since it's now running to hot at lower RPMs.

Hope to have time next week, and will note the settings more specifically, once dialed in.

Last week was semi-productive. I dropped the oil pan in preparation to weld the bung for the turbo oil drain/return. The sump was sent to Rob Smith at Odd-Iron Off-Road to weld a AN-10 bung and Rob will also be procuring the supply/return hose and fittings for my install. Rob has been SUPER SUPER responsive and very nice to work with.

Over view of Odd Iron Off Road and offerings for Land Cruisers and off road vehicles

I will post photos of when the sump is back from Rob's, but he already sent me a few photos and I am really happy with the way it turned out.

841.jpg

842.jpg

JimC @FJ40Jim came over yesterday and we replaced all connecting rod bearings while the sump was out. Two of the rod bearings looked slightly worn, but the other four looked very very good. JimC was really happy with the internal condition of the engine, which gave me a peace of mind knowing that the engine will hopefully run for a long time.

For some reason, I couldn't find a Standard set of Toyota bearings. I called Onur and he referred me to Radd Cruisers who sell Japanese made connecting rod bearings for the 1HZ and 1HDT in standard size. The bearings are Japanese TAIHO brand.

Home

843.jpg

844.jpg

I got a full set of twelve (12) connecting rod bolts from Onur at Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting:

Welcome to LCPC

845.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom