Builds 1985 BJ70 Story and Modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The CT26 didn't have any of the attachments, as Brian had to retain those for his new Turbo, so I had to source the supply and return pipes that go bolted to the Turbocharger itself.

782.jpg

A couple of the hoses that complete the lines:

783.jpg

784.jpg

And finally, the Bracket for the Turbocharger support (Turbocharger Stay)

785.jpg

786.jpg

Now to get busy putting all these things together.

One thing that I couldn't find factory (or aftermarket for that matter), was the Turbocharger water-block plate. On the 1HDT turbo-coolant configuration, the supply and return ports are both installed on the same side of the turbocharger (using the 16027-17010 part shown on the post above), needing a block plate for the other side.

This block plate can be seen on these two photos I found on the forum (not my photos but can't remember from what posts I saved them from).

Yellow arrow on this photo indicates the preferred Pre-Turbo EGT probe location, and not the water-block plate. Water-block plate is the oval shaped one mounted on the turbo itself. Photo already had the yellow arrow on it :hillbilly:

1HD-FT EXHAUST MANIFOLD.jpg

Another photo of the plate from another MUD member:

CT26-07.jpg

Since I couldn't find it anywhere, I went ahead and made one (well, made two, one in aluminum and one in Stainless Steel, ended up using the Stainless Steel one as the aluminum one was too thick for the application). The gasket for these plates I could find from Toyota, I will add the part number later.

787.jpg
788.jpg
789.jpg
790.jpg
791.jpg

Not the prettiest, but it will do the job.

One funny thing is that the Timing Belt that came out of the engine had a part number stamped on the belt itself:

792.JPG

The Timing Belt I got didn't match the same part number on the label, however, the timing belt inside the bag did have the same matching numbers. I wonder why that is?

793.jpg

794.jpg

I got the timing belt components from Onur at Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting: Welcome to LCPC

Then I removed the exhaust manifold to install the Water By-Pass Pipe. I also bought the correct 1HDT exhaust manifold, so the 1HZ manifold had to come out anyways. Removing the exhaust manifold and the exhaust manifold studs gives unobstructed access to the Water By-Pass Pipe. This pipe is press-fitted on the block and supported by a P-clip. Once you undo the P-clip you can carefully pry the Water By-Pass Pipe using the thermostat housing as support. The New By-Pass Pipe is installed the same way.

Here are some photos comparing the 1HZ and 1HDT flavors of the Water By-Pass Pipe:

795.jpg

And an extra photo (for reference purposes) that I found on the forum that shows the difference better than the photo I took:

IMG_4628.jpg

Also bought new exhaust manifold studs from Onur at Welcome to LCPC

799.jpg

I like how the Factory exhaust manifold studs come pre-coated for assembly:

800.jpg

And finally installed the new Water-Pump (with Toyota Gasket) and Turbo Pipe that goes bolted with the Water Pump:

801.jpg

And a side view of the engine with some of the goodies installed: (Note that I had to drill the block to attach the Turbocharger-Stay Bracket to the engine, I didn't take any photos of this, but all the references that I found said to drill not to exceed 20 mm). Turbocharger-Stay is shown loosely fitted to the block on the photo below:

802.jpg

So much OEM part goodness to drool over! Great work so far!

Did some work on the intake side of the engine. Since I will be adding a turbocharger to the 1HZ, I wanted to replace the intake manifold gaskets with new Toyota ones. Once again, I read the FSM, threads here on the forum, and found another YouTube service video that Louis @lshobie put together for this:

The ones coming out of my engine were still soft and pliable, but still replacing them with new ones. I got the new gaskets from Onur. I took a bunch of photos and notes to see how the injection lines go back, so I can use as reference when putting it back together.

803.JPG

804.JPG

Since the intake manifold came off, it gave me clear access to replace the Water (coolant) outlet from the engine. Went ahead and did that and connected the two water portions with the new L-shaped OEM hose listed in the previous posts.

805.jpg

The intake manifold had a light coat of oil, results of the positive crank ventilation system. I will be installing a catch can on this engine so I wanted to get the manifold as clean as possible.

806.jpg

Finally, I painted the exhaust manifold with some High-Temp Ceramic exhaust/header paint. I have already drilled the exhaust manifold for the EGT probe, will post a photo of that a little later.

807.jpg

great work....especially impressive that you do all of this in the dark o_O

Hahaha, I do really need better lights in the garage. With cold weather and not being able to open the garage door, it gets pretty dark in there. A PETZL headlamp has been my best friend when working in the garage.

So much OEM part goodness to drool over! Great work so far!

Thanks!

Impressive work Alberto!

Thanks!

Solid meticulous work as usual Alberto.

:clap:

Thanks, Onur!

This is your project as much as it is mine :cheers:

I then installed a new cam seal on the timing belt backing plate, installed the timing belt backing plate on the engine using Toyota Formed-in-Place Gasket (FIPG), installed and torqued the Cam pulley, and the new timing belt with new idler. All the torque specs and how to apply the Toyota FIPG is well described on the FSM.

808.jpg

809.jpg

810.jpg

I will leave the timing belt cover off until the injection lines go back in. I want to turn the engine a couple of times and make sure the timing marks are still aligned after a full turn, or two.

Great to see some updates on the 1HZ! As usual making everyone else's (especially mine) builds look half assed! That must have been fun drilling in to the block for the turbo stay!

Greatly appreciated!

Just finished reading the whole thread. Beautiful 70 and very nice work done on it over time.

Glad you enjoyed the long read :D

Just for reference and documenting purposes. Studs used on the Manifold-Turbo Connection:

811.jpg

Nuts used on the Manifold-Turbo Connection:

812.jpg

Collar as part of the exhaust manifold:

813.jpg

Location of the EGT Probe on the Exhaust Manifold (Pre-Turbo):

814.jpg

And new exhaust manifold gaskets (will add part number later):

815.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom