8x Series V8 Swaps (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My swap had a 6L80 which uses the canbus for the trans position signal. I did not bother figuring out how to send those signals to the stock Toyota dash transmission indicator lights , but incorporated a relay off the canbus to power the reverse lights.

@OffRoadScott here's a link to the page that documents most of the build:

@OffRoadScott here's a link to the page that documents most of the build:
Great write up, seriously thinking about doing this swap but with an LM7 with a 4L80E.

I am curious how many that have done some type of LS conversion into their Land Cruiser has used the PSI Conversion harnesses? I have tried the search feature using PSI, PSI Conversions, PSI Conversion as key words but no luck as far as people referring to their experience. PSI conversion makes a Toyota specific harness, but I am looking at their PSI Conversion harness and retaining the drive by cable.

If you are using the PSI conversion harness I would love to hear about your experience be it good or bad.

Those that have used the PSI harness, did you still have to use the Dakota Digital box for signal interface?
I used the PSI harness. It's well put together, and decent documentation. My one call to support was handled well. My only complaint is that it doesn't have have wires for the downstream O2 sensors and and evap system components - if you want to approach emissions compliance, you'll have to add them yourself. Which isn't to hard (keep your original harness!) - but it would be nice if there was an option to have them already there.

I used the PSI harness. It's well put together, and decent documentation. My one call to support was handled well. My only complaint is that it doesn't have have wires for the downstream O2 sensors and and evap system components - if you want to approach emissions compliance, you'll have to add them yourself. Which isn't to hard (keep your original harness!) - but it would be nice if there was an option to have them already there.
This x2

When you say downstream are you referring to a second O2 per bank or just O2 sensors in general? The harness my employer used on a 55 Chevy had the wiring for the O2 sensors.

When you say downstream are you referring to a second O2 per bank or just O2 sensors in general? The harness my employer used on a 55 Chevy had the wiring for the O2 sensors.
Newer LS vehicles (not sure when it started, mine is 07 gen3) come with 4 O2 sensors - one before the catalytic converter, and one after the catalytic converter, on each bank. As I understand it, only the ones before the cats (upstream) are required to run. The ones after the cats (downstream) are just there to assess the health of the cats. But they're required for emissions - my exhaust shop wouldn't work on it without them. They can get in trouble for stuff like that.

The PSI harness comes with the wiring for the upstream O2 sensors. It didn't come with the connections for the downstream sensors.

But that was 2+ years ago. Haven't looked at their stuff lately.

Another option is to do all the swap yourself except for the wiring. Than take it to Proffitts or something and have it wired. If you can integrate as much of the LS as possible it will be a nicer driving experience overall. Retaining emissions will increase the overall value of the truck a lot. A nice 80 with a bare bones no emissions LS will be worth like 15k. A nice 80 with a well integrated LS with emissions can sell for 50k-70k. Plus the LS emissions have a rather large impact on some of the ignition timing tables in the ecu.

Another option is to do all the swap yourself except for the wiring. Than take it to Proffitts or something and have it wired. If you can integrate as much of the LS as possible it will be a nicer driving experience overall. Retaining emissions will increase the overall value of the truck a lot. A nice 80 with a bare bones no emissions LS will be worth like 15k. A nice 80 with a well integrated LS with emissions can sell for 50k-70k. Plus the LS emissions have a rather large impact on some of the ignition timing tables in the ecu.
I have an email out to PSI conversion asking a few questions about the AC recognition, 4wd recognition and will ask about the questions about emissions when I hear back.

Plus the idea of having an OBD2 port to trouble shot issues will be nice as well.

Newer LS vehicles (not sure when it started, mine is 07 gen3) come with 4 O2 sensors - one before the catalytic converter, and one after the catalytic converter, on each bank. As I understand it, only the ones before the cats (upstream) are required to run. The ones after the cats (downstream) are just there to assess the health of the cats. But they're required for emissions - my exhaust shop wouldn't work on it without them. They can get in trouble for stuff like that.

The PSI harness comes with the wiring for the upstream O2 sensors. It didn't come with the connections for the downstream sensors.

But that was 2+ years ago. Haven't looked at their stuff lately.

Ah okay. I will ask how adding the 3rd and 4th O2 sensors will effect price of the harness and if it is possible.

I have an email out to PSI conversion asking a few questions about the AC recognition, 4wd recognition and will ask about the questions about emissions when I hear back.

Plus the idea of having an OBD2 port to trouble shot issues will be nice as well.
Yea, you have to have the OBD2 port, no question about that. I didn't connect the AC system to the GM computer at all - stumbles a bit when the compressor kicks on at idle, but otherwise no big deal. And you'll have to manually turn it off for high temp situations, or WOT and such.

4WD - see my post from last week. There are some pins you'll want to add there also.

Yea, you have to have the OBD2 port, no question about that. I didn't connect the AC system to the GM computer at all - stumbles a bit when the compressor kicks on at idle, but otherwise no big deal. And you'll have to manually turn it off for high temp situations, or WOT and such.

4WD - see my post from last week. There are some pins you'll want to add there also.
Oh, and if you're doing electric fans. You'll want to do the pressure switch hack to turn one of the fans on for high AC pressure. Look for the auxiliary fan threads - same thing folks use to trigger that.

My swap had a 6L80 which uses the canbus for the trans position signal. I did not bother figuring out how to send those signals to the stock Toyota dash transmission indicator lights , but incorporated a relay off the canbus to power the reverse lights.
Can you please elaborate on how you did this? It’d be VERY handy info to know. Thanks.

Gauge cluster for my wife's 80

310746114_453142030131734_3256036028422597599_n.jpg

309953804_453142063465064_798942317590568433_n.jpg

Can you please elaborate on how you did this? It’d be VERY handy info to know. Thanks.

Several harness companies offer in-line CANbus modules with reverse light and position signal outputs.

How much engine mounting modification is required for a Toyota v8 ? I dont want to modifiy the frame if I decide to swap engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom