8x Series V8 Swaps (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

View attachment 3117305
Marks adapter arrived this week but I just realized I didn’t get the instructions emailed to me. Anybody know the measurement to cut the 4l60e tail shaft by? I measured the current length with it all bolted up vs the length of a spare Toyota transmission and ended up with 31/32” difference. I’m thinking a 1” cut should work but I wanted to double check.
They want you to pull the manual off the site iirc. I’ll try and see if i saved the pdf.

I found a screenshot of the instructions on another post, it was 211mm from the back of the transmission. About an 1-1/32” from the end of the shaft.

I found a screenshot of the instructions on another post, it was 211mm from the back of the transmission. About an 1-1/32” from the end of the shaft.
I believe you need to be logged in to access the instructions.

I believe these are it for 4l60 and auto transfer case on an 80: mfk1195a Instructions
It does say 211mm from end of transmission.

1663599359843.png

Radiator and fan help. Looking for anyone who kept the original radiator, but used an electric fan set up. Saw some use a Derale fan kit. Wasn't able to see if they used the original radiator, and what size Derale kit did they go with. Im putting in a LQ4, and would like to keep the original radiator to keep it as simple as possible. If anyone has another no mod bolt in radiator kit, Id be interested in knowing that as well. Thanks!

Can anyone share their actual fuel pressure readings with the stock fuel pump?

I'm getting:
55psi Static
48psi Running with idle vacuum
58psi Zero vacuum

I've replaced the filter and FPR. I have yet to do a voltage drop test on the fuel pump connections.

Radiator and fan help. Looking for anyone who kept the original radiator, but used an electric fan set up. Saw some use a Derale fan kit. Wasn't able to see if they used the original radiator, and what size Derale kit did they go with. Im putting in a LQ4, and would like to keep the original radiator to keep it as simple as possible. If anyone has another no mod bolt in radiator kit, Id be interested in knowing that as well. Thanks!
Not sure how little fabrication you're trying to do, but I was able to use a dual fan and shroud from a chevy equinox with some very minor trimming to the plastic shroud. I used wiring harness 7L5533A226T to use the factory computer to turn on the relays.

Not sure how little fabrication you're trying to do, but I was able to use a dual fan and shroud from a chevy equinox with some very minor trimming to the plastic shroud. I used wiring harness 7L5533A226T to use the factory computer to turn on the relays.
i can do minor! What year? how's it been working?

See my post #2938 on this thread

Hey, sorry to be that guy...I want to see if or how a 5.3L Vortec can mate up with a A440F from a 1991 FJ80. Can any of you guys help me out? I'm having a hard time finding the info in the forum search.
Please help guide me to the way, you Knower of Cruisers.

Hey, sorry to be that guy...I want to see if or how a 5.3L Vortec can mate up with a A440F from a 1991 FJ80. Can any of you guys help me out? I'm having a hard time finding the info in the forum search.
Please help guide me to the way, you Knower of Cruisers.

Marks4WD might be of assistance transmission adapters

How are you guys handling 4LO
When I shift my transfer case into 4Lo the transmission (4L60) shifts through the gears to fast and stays in the higher gears all the time.

So I found the "4WD Low" wire on the PCM (Pin 16, green plug) and added a pin. My understanding is that it should be grounded when in 4LO, and I intended to connect it to the 4LO switch on the transfer case. In the mean time, I manually grounded it when shifting to 4LO - and the truck ran like crap! Very rough, sometimes stalling at low RPM. Ran ok when you got past that, shifting was maybe better - not sure. After a bit, it set code P2771 4WD Low Switch Circuit. At that point it must ignore pin 16 because the rough engine went away and the shifting was crap again.

The wiring diagram I have isn't very useful - it just shows Pin 16 on the PCM connecting to Pin B5 4WD Lo Sig on the "Transfer Case Shift Control Module"

View attachment 2856867

Any idea what signal pin 16 is supposed to get? Maybe a momentary ground instead of constant ground? Any other way to convince the PCM to shift right in 4LO?

So I've made some improvements in the 4LO shifting. The fundamental problem is that the GM computer was getting the VSS signal from the transmission tail shaft, so in 4LO, it thinks it is going much faster then it is, and so shifts immediately. My solution was to get a Dakota Digital SGI-100BT Universal Tach & Speedometer Interface. I used this to translate the 4000 PPM Toyota VSS signal from the transfer case output shaft to the 128K PPM expected by the GM PCM (Pin 21 Green). I then connected the Toyota speedometer to the 4000 PPM output from the PCM (Pin 50 Green). I also used the Dakota Digital unit to handle the tachometer and correct the speedometer.

I had it out on some very steep stuff today (Metberry & Longwater Gulches), and it shifted well. I'd like it to hold 1st a little longer, but overall i'm happy with it. I still need to adjust my linkage so I manually shift to 1st.

I also added a relay to ground Pin 16 based on the transfer case 4LO switch, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I talked to support at HP Tuners and got a beta version of their software that exposes the 4LO shift tables, but nothing I do there makes any difference. So I wonder if something failed in the PCM with that P2771 code. That code hasn't come back.

Finally, I got the Toyota stock ECT switch to control the Tow/Haul mode (aka Performance Shift) on the GM PCM. The GM PCM needs a momentary ground on Pin 71 Blue to engage/disengage tow/haul mode. However, the Toyota ECT button is a latching switch providing a constant 12V when engaged.

To convert this to a momentary ground on change, I went here: https://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-Timers_c_15.html and got a programmable relay: “Multi-Functional 3V-18V Time Delay Relay (Timer) V7” which can be programmed to provide a momentary + signal on change of the input trigger (Function 25 Output on Trigger Change, Trigger Configuration 2).

To change the output + signal to a ground signal, I also got their sink module: “Sink Adapter - Positive To Sink”

This is working great. It also works properly to engage tow/haul on vehicle start, if the button was left engaged when you shut it off. I was concerned that maybe the signal would be to soon, before the PCM was ready, but HP Tuners shows it engaging correctly every time.

So I've made some improvements in the 4LO shifting. The fundamental problem is that the GM computer was getting the VSS signal from the transmission tail shaft, so in 4LO, it thinks it is going much faster then it is, and so shifts immediately. My solution was to get a Dakota Digital SGI-100BT Universal Tach & Speedometer Interface. I used this to translate the 4000 PPM Toyota VSS signal from the transfer case output shaft to the 128K PPM expected by the GM PCM (Pin 21 Green). I then connected the Toyota speedometer to the 4000 PPM output from the PCM (Pin 50 Green). I also used the Dakota Digital unit to handle the tachometer and correct the speedometer.

I had it out on some very steep stuff today (Metberry & Longwater Gulches), and it shifted well. I'd like it to hold 1st a little longer, but overall i'm happy with it. I still need to adjust my linkage so I manually shift to 1st.

I also added a relay to ground Pin 16 based on the transfer case 4LO switch, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. I talked to support at HP Tuners and got a beta version of their software that exposes the 4LO shift tables, but nothing I do there makes any difference. So I wonder if something failed in the PCM with that P2771 code. That code hasn't come back.

Finally, I got the Toyota stock ECT switch to control the Tow/Haul mode (aka Performance Shift) on the GM PCM. The GM PCM needs a momentary ground on Pin 71 Blue to engage/disengage tow/haul mode. However, the Toyota ECT button is a latching switch providing a constant 12V when engaged.

To convert this to a momentary ground on change, I went here: https://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-Timers_c_15.html and got a programmable relay: “Multi-Functional 3V-18V Time Delay Relay (Timer) V7” which can be programmed to provide a momentary + signal on change of the input trigger (Function 25 Output on Trigger Change, Trigger Configuration 2).

To change the output + signal to a ground signal, I also got their sink module: “Sink Adapter - Positive To Sink”

This is working great. It also works properly to engage tow/haul on vehicle start, if the button was left engaged when you shut it off. I was concerned that maybe the signal would be to soon, before the PCM was ready, but HP Tuners shows it engaging correctly every time.
What trans are you using?

Hmmm. While yes, the ecm thinks it going faster than it really is (indicated on ultra gauge) if I shift the lever to 1st gear it stays there.

Yea, I have two problems. Converting the Toyota VSS signal from the transfer case largely fixes the automatic shifting problem.

My other problem is mechanical - while my shift lever feels like it's reaching that last detente, it's not quite there and the transmission doesn't actually go to first. Looking at the linkage, I need to rework things a bit to get that last bit of throw.

I am curious how many that have done some type of LS conversion into their Land Cruiser has used the PSI Conversion harnesses? I have tried the search feature using PSI, PSI Conversions, PSI Conversion as key words but no luck as far as people referring to their experience. PSI conversion makes a Toyota specific harness, but I am looking at their PSI Conversion harness and retaining the drive by cable.

If you are using the PSI conversion harness I would love to hear about your experience be it good or bad.

Those that have used the PSI harness, did you still have to use the Dakota Digital box for signal interface?

Those that have used the PSI harness, did you still have to use the Dakota Digital box for signal interface?
Happy LS Gen IV PSI stand alone harness customer here. Couldn't have been an easier experience and installation. The guys at PSI were very helpful, super experienced on swap questions, and provide a great product with excellent follow up support. No affiliation, but I'd definitely buy from them again in the future. Top notch outfit in my opinion.

Used the Dakota tach signal generator only, but my swap was on a 91 FJ80.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Happy LS Gen IV PSI stand alone harness customer here. Couldn't have been an easier experience and installation. The guys at PSI were very helpful, super experienced on swap questions, and provide a great product with excellent follow up support. No affiliation, but I'd definitely buy from them again in the future. Top notch outfit in my opinion.

Used the Dakota tach signal generator only, but my swap was on a 91 FJ80.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Good to hear. I work for the local Interstate Batteries distributor and in the shop they did an LS swap into a 55 Chevy truck. I watched them use the PSI conversion harness on that swap and it sold me, but wanted to get people's first hand experience using it on a Land Cruiser.

@Stoshu do you have pictures of your build, mainly the engine bay?

Does it have the harness for the multi position switch for the transmission park and neutral safety switch and for reverse lights gear position. The ones I've used didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom