Mounting crap on an FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
As I'm driving around in Zeke, it sounds like a freaking one man band in here, with jack, spare tire, fuel can and compressor rolling around in back.

Plus, all that crap takes up valuable room, while providing lots of potentially lethal projectiles should I get in a wreck.

I'm interested in looking at ways to mount that stuff that a) doesn't look like garbage, b) doesn't take up as much space and c) won't break the piggy bank.

It'd also be cool to retain access to the tail gate, with relatively minor ease.

Thanks for advice!

As I'm driving around in Zeke, it sounds like a freaking one man band in here, with jack, spare tire, fuel can and compressor rolling around in back.

Plus, all that crap takes up valuable room, while providing lots of potentially lethal projectiles should I get in a wreck.

I'm interested in looking at ways to mount that stuff that a) doesn't look like garbage, b) doesn't take up as much space and c) won't break the piggy bank.

It'd also be cool to retain access to the tail gate, with relatively minor ease.

Thanks for advice!
Search Cargo Storage Project posted January 13 2018.
I store more crap back there than necessary but the flexibility of removing one of those long plastic totes and putting my shotgun and/or bow in it's place is what works for me...

Search Cargo Storage Project posted January 13 2018.
I store more crap back there than necessary but the flexibility of removing one of those long plastic totes and putting my shotgun and/or bow in it's place is what works for me...
Yeah, nah, search doesn't result in anything.

I'm looking for a way to mainly move the tire and jack out of the way so I can do more stuff with the interior. All the good stuff is either in the four figures in cost and is designed for 40s or 80s.

The easy button appears to be a hitch mounted tire mount, but those are problematic if you want to use the tailgate.

Roof? Yuck. My spare tire has got to weigh 100 pounds. Wrestling it onto and off of the roof would be a nightmare. And I'm tippy enough as is, want to keep the weight low as possible.
I've had my spare in just about every possible mounting location. Underneath, inside, on top and finally out back on the bumper. Swing out bumper mount is the best for me. Wish it rode a little lower and closer in toward the tailgate, wish it had a jack mount. Maybe I'll fix that one of these days.
I got the Iron Pig bumper, probably one of the first. Made just for a Pig.
Hi-lift just lies on the floor behind front seats.

20211227_133804.jpg

So I had my tire on a bulky swing out. I cut it off because it was really heavy and I hate to cover up the pig ass. It just looks so good bare. I have been investigating a spare donut option that would mount inside but take a lot less room.

Coker has vintage bias ply tires that have a diameter of 35 inches and you can get 34, 33 and a smaller of course. The idea is to get a tire that is 35in diameter and only 5 inches wide, versus the 12.5 that my regular tires. I just need to have a custom rim made to fit the tire and tube stem and the lug pattern. The idea is to have an option to get you off the trail or back home. Not to look good, or to run it for a few months till you finally get around to fixing your tire.

This is an option for people running 33s

Those running a 37"

Yeah, roof is a "no-go."

My Cooper STTs are heavy as crap. I don't see myself getting it off of there by myself.

I may end up fabricating a simple hitch mount that pivots where it makes the 90 degree turn with a simple pin keeping it up. To get in the back, you simply push on the tire to take off the stress, pull the pin, and then hold onto the tire for dear life and lower it. The 35x12.5" tire could also substitute as a step up into the tailgate, if I spaced it out cleverly.

This also solves my rusted out license plate light issue, as I'd have to relocate the plate to the bumper on either side of the spare. One of those el cheapo lighted license plate frames would do the trick.

my 8.25r16s are a big 34. i guess it depends how close to 35s your 35s are too.

I just measured my "35s" and they are more like "33s"

The spare it came with is also a "33" on an OEM wheel and it has a mount in the rear inside the cabin. I'm probably going to put that thing back in there and just run with that as a spare.

I just measured my "35s" and they are more like "33s"

The spare it came with is also a "33" on an OEM wheel and it has a mount in the rear inside the cabin. I'm probably going to put that thing back in there and just run with that as a spare.
I found it to be out of the way enough to use the rest of the floor space. Spare tires are a pain no matter where you hang one, but for me, I wouldn't leave home without it.

I got one of these ages ago for my 55:

Too bad they are not in stock. Maybe a call to Specter to see if they will carry them again.

A little bit of head scratching and flipping the tire around allowed me to modify the lag bolts enough to mount a full size spare inside.

IMG_20220110_123355445.jpg

IMG_20220110_123400130.jpg

Farmer jack fits "perfect" bungeed to the back of the front seats, and even allows for people to sit back there. Gotta clean everything up once the weather warms a bit.

IMG_20220110_124326896.jpg

Even, I thought you had 37s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom