What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (80 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

might not be able to make it to the dealership tonight to pick up a parts order I need

grumble grumble stupid log4j crap
log4j has been a PITA! And if you're using version 3.x??? lol

Where did you find those replacement “Toyota” key blanks? I’d like to purchase a few.

They are not key blanks, they are part of a full lock & key set. The last available for the 80-series as a set.

Cheers

The fun continues,
Decided to replace the oil cap with the cool TEQ one.

Pulled the old one off and was greeted with this:

Looks like paint? IDK what the PO did with this, I have a mittyvac brake bleeder that has a little vacuum attachment, maybe that will be enough to pull all of that out.

IMG-2207.jpg

The snow and salt came, truck went to bed☹️.

Maritime weather shift up in the teens and 120mm of rain to wash it all away 😃.

80 came out to do work for wife’s business. Moved 35 full banker boxes and 15 broken down boxes with room still available.

Surprised it did not sag that much with all that weight!

Sure is nice to have a capable machine!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Replaced the failed brake booster with a new Cityracer unit. The original was a Bendix brand, not sure if it was original from factory. I was able to move the master cylinder back enough to create just enough space to wrestle the old one out and the new one in. Once installed I took it for a short test run, the brakes were scrubbing just a bit and I had to loosen the MC enough to do an adjustment. Now it works fine. Good to have brakes again.
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG
IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2289.JPG

Look like metal flakes to me. Hopefully not bearing material.
when I wiped up the little shelf on the bottom, there seemed to be some paint that came up with it, there was / is hints of metallics in it, so I am hoping that is just the paint only 😓

mittyvac brake bleeder worked just right on it though, sucked up a good amount of schmoo when I vacuumed that shelf

@roflbox

Paint probably makes more sense in that quantity at that location and I'm not sure that the oil system would deposit that many metal flakes there if they were floating around in the oil system. The paint likely is breaking down and delaminating in the presence of oil and heat cycling and you can see it happening on that shelf in the picture. They should have masked off the inside of the oil fill hole when spray painting the VC.

I'd see about cleaning that fill hole further (shop vac plus scraper/pic perhaps?) to keep the debris out of your oiling system and I'd bump the next oil change up on the priority list a bit. You want to minimize the risk of that crap getting lodged in an oil passage.

Once you get the oil system cleaned up and then run it for a while you can send off an oil sample to Blackstone to get insight into any metal wear issues, etc. the engine may have, should you want to know :)

What transmissions are people using with these? Is it possible to put a newer 10-speed transmission in?
Both the 8L90e and 10L90E fit with no (or very limited) firewall modification depending on where you set your engine mounts. I have a LT1/ 8l90E connect and cruise package in mine.

Using the 6L80E on this and looks like there may be an adapter for the 8L
Torfab has engineered an 8L/ 10L adapter. Not sure he's released it for general sale yet - still using it for his in house conversions.

Trans shop said early next week. Just waiting on clutches and steels for overdrive.
If you get it back this coming week I'm pretty determined to hit the snow on the 26th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom