Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've probably put more time and thought into these floor mats than I have on a lot of things in my life which of course is sad. I blame this on my father. As a kid I remember floor mats in cars because my dad was always looking for perfect ones. We'd go to auto parts stores and go thru all of them. None of them were ever a perfect fit....he'd trim them a little bit and make them better but they were never perfect.

I remember he brought a set home from the Price Club(Costco now) and he was overwhelmed by how good they were. The man had found what he had been searching for. They were the first of the really good heavy rubber all weather mats that are so common now. I wish I could remember the name of them but I can't. He loved those mats. We'd always go back to the Price Club to look for them but once they'd run out of an item back then....that was sometimes it. There would be other mats that would come and go but none were as good as those. We'd talk about them. We'd look for them. I'm sure there is still a set floating around their house somewhere. They never got traded in with cars...they would always go into a different car.

Well now it's my turn to obsess(correction....obsessing is my middle name). I hated the Weathertechs I bought and I don't want to run tan carpet Land Cruiser OEM mats in this truck(there are no grey OEM carpet mats even though there are grey interiors). Finding rubber LHD OEM 79 series mats has been challenging and fruitless(I have spent hours chasing these things around.....if you know where to get some.....don't tell me.....I'm trying to move on :) )

I've used this setup in my other trucks...I like this Lloyds pattern...Northridge is what they call it. So I wanted to use it for the 79 but since they like to slide around on the vinyl floors, I needed to figure out how to anchor them. And since Toyota changed the way they are scored in the newer trucks(16 and up maybe) and I'm using a newer vinyl floor with these twist lock deals...I found a way to make them work. I can't believe I've rambled this much about mats. It's very obvious we're running out of things to do on this truck.

I buy cargo area material.....I think this was for a Suburban.
20200603_134319.jpg

This is the new style twist lock for the mats....it's super secure compared to the older hooks. Again....I shouldn't know this much about floor mats. I had no idea these twist guys existed until I got that later model vinyl floor cover which had them. And by chance I had a set of mats that had the new style twist lock grommets in them. When I installed them into the truck.....they were rock solid. No movement.
20200603_180527.jpg

Template for the mat....this is a 2017 mat for what it's worth.

20200603_134934.jpg

Toyota sells SOME of the parts.....the twist lock part. And since we all love buying OEM parts.....I bought OEM parts. There's the top piece and the backer. The receiver part on the mat however is not available from Toyota...obvioulsy they would come on new mats. I was able to source some of those....
20200603_134805.jpg

Last edited:
Trace, cut, punch, insert. Easy.

20200603_140612.jpg
20200603_140657.jpg

20200603_141135.jpg

Done

20200603_141129.jpg

A great tool to have that everyone always remembers they need when they need it but usually never has it.....a gasket punch kit...in this case....a floor mat hole punch. Bought a cheap one and I'm shocked with how much use it's getting. Neat tool and I'm bummed I never got around to buying one many many years ago.

20200603_144105.jpg

Passenger side didn't have any twist locks....so I added those. Was not overly excited about putting holes in my vinyl mat....there was a lot of work to make this mat fit in this truck.
20200603_151700.jpg
20200603_152228.jpg

And here we go.....floor mats that stay put and don't move around like loose socks. My pops would be proud.
20200603_141254 2.jpg
20200603_152345.jpg

Got a link to that hole punch kit? I was looking for one a few weeks back.

I can't remember but Amazon most likely....it's all China junk but I've gotten more than a few uses out of it so we're doing pretty good.

It's all about little details that make a great finished product. I really LOVE stuff that looks OEM but isn't. It speaks volumes to the dedication of the builder. :cheers:

It's all about little details that make a great finished product. I really LOVE stuff that looks OEM but isn't. It speaks volumes to the dedication of the builder. :cheers:

The detail stuff is what makes it fun. For me of course. I doubt it's fun for the guys who work on this stuff. :)

Last edited:
these look similar.

Amazon product ASIN B0002T87E0

All the same stuff just different packaging. China at its finest.

So thanks to @Gun Runner 5 suggesting I sell these mats, I think I'm going to do a run of them. I'll be able to do them for LHDs....Troopy(and 75 pickups if I would assume), 79 series trucks and 73s......since I can verify those fitments with my trucks here.

Grey only. Going to do them in this design....nice quality rubber. And of course they'll have the twist lock fasteners.

51ej+uV1J4L._SX466_.jpg

Any interest? Good idea? Did @Gun Runner 5 steer me down a dead end street ? :)

So thanks to @Gun Runner 5 suggesting I sell these mats, I think I'm going to do a run of them. I'll be able to do them for LHDs....Troopy(and 75 pickups if I would assume), 79 series trucks and 73s......since I can verify those fitments with my trucks here.

Grey only. Going to do them in this design....nice quality rubber. And of course they'll have the twist lock fasteners.

View attachment 2329369

Any interest? Good idea? Did @Gun Runner 5 steer me down a dead end street ? :)
I might be in for a set. Would this come with the parts for the locking feature?

I might be in for a set. Would this come with the parts for the locking feature?

Yeah.....I'll try to keep it really simple....everything will be there for the passenger side and drivers side. We'll install the receiver part in the mat....you'll install the supplied twit lock in your floor covering.

They look great! I might be interested in a set for a troopy.

Kind of wrapping up the last of the last this week......I wanted a couple of heat shields for the brake line that runs near the downpipe as well as where the exhaust exits over the frame. Going to powder coat them chrome I think.....I'd like them to match the ceramic coating of the exhaust. We'll see how we do. I might be pushing my skill set with chrome powder coat.

This is what we came up with(grey one is for the rear exhaust area).....

20200604_172658.jpeg
20200604_174413.jpeg
20200604_174428.jpeg
20200604_174449.jpeg

I am in for a set of floor mats.

Awesome as always.

I am in for a set of floor mats.

Awesome as always.

Cool....I'm going to order in materials this week....maybe 5 sets for this first batch. I'll keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom