Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you want to get rid of a set of the tan carpeted floor mats along with the twist locks to install in my floor mat? =)

Those are for another truck......not sure I want to get rid of them. The passenger side carpet mat doesn't fit so well....it's too wide. They were from a 79 series...so they have a dead pedal cutout too.

I'm going to make a set for the Troopy....maybe you'll like the rubber ones better than the carpet ones. We'll do them without a dead pedal too.

Last edited:
Decided to splurge on some Dobinsons MRR shocks for #2......really nice units. The instructions show a different bracket for the reservoir mount(from a Patrol) but they come with a generic mount. We'll mod the generic one to make the reservoirs fit a little bit better. Hard to see in the pics but it's a little too far into the wheel well. I'd like it a little bit more on top of the spring mount. Easy fix. Might just bring in the right brackets on the next order(they're in Australia).

Huge amount of adjustability on these....high speed, low speed compression settings with adjustable rebound.

We'll get some rear ones going once we measure our suspension travel back there.

20200608_132702.jpg
20200608_132807.jpg
20200610_145157_1.jpg
20200610_145205_1.jpg
20200610_151320.jpg

They won't be this clean for long unfortunately.
20200610_161923.jpg
20200610_173542.jpg

Kind of a big day in the evolution of this build......drove it home for the first time :)

Uneventful 6 miles.......tomorrow I will get it over to the alignment guys, do a caster sweep so those super cool @Delta VS arms can get ordered and then some real miles get put on it.

Rear mounted spare wheel/tire got put in too....need to come up with a mount solution. Like on the other truck, it's a 6 lug deal so we can't use the OEM parts.

20200623_190042.jpg

Snapped this after returning from TN with the #1 truck.....which is going to get a makeover in the not too distant future.
20200615_174101_2.jpg

very nice

Kind of a big day in the evolution of this build......drove it home for the first time :)

Uneventful 6 miles.......tomorrow I will get it over to the alignment guys, do a caster sweep so those super cool @Delta VS arms can get ordered and then some real miles get put on it.

Rear mounted spare wheel/tire got put in too....need to come up with a mount solution. Like on the other truck, it's a 6 lug deal so we can't use the OEM parts.

View attachment 2349509

That is the one and only real modification I want to make to mine. My spare is under the truck as it didn't come with an aux tank. I have looked into adding the bracket and hardware to put the spare (or a second) in the bed. It doesn't look that difficult but some of the parts are NLA. My bedliner is set up for it so I might try to source the parts and bring them back with me regardless.

That is the one and only real modification I want to make to mine. My spare is under the truck as it didn't come with an aux tank. I have looked into adding the bracket and hardware to put the spare (or a second) in the bed. It doesn't look that difficult but some of the parts are NLA. My bedliner is set up for it so I might try to source the parts and bring them back with me regardless.
Which parts are NLA? I have half the parts I need(came with this truck) but not the other half(the threaded pin and the handle assembly). I have another set on another truck that I will steal to make this one work. We'll have to build a holder since I have 6 lug wheels and not 5 lug. No big deal.

Pretty sure I can find all the other parts as take-offs....I was going to source them today. Want me to see if I can find what you need?

Which parts are NLA? I have half the parts I need(came with this truck) but not the other half(the threaded pin and the handle assembly). I have another set on another truck that I will steal to make this one work. We'll have to build a holder since I have 6 lug wheels and not 5 lug. No big deal.

Pretty sure I can find all the other parts as take-offs....I was going to source them today. Want me to see if I can find what you need?

If you can find them as take offs then yes please. The wheel chocks that need be welded into the bed and the bracket is still available new. I think it was the threaded pin and handle assembly that wasn't.

We were able to get the truck on the alignment rack today....order for the @Delta VS arms already placed. Going with the 4" arms...they'll add 8* of caster....so that should put me right around 4* positive. Should be nice.
20200624_141300.jpeg
20200624_144852.jpeg
20200624_144626.jpeg

Before we took it to alignment we re-keyed the gas cap locks to fit my ignition key. Couldn't quite figure out which lock set I needed....so I only bought the set for the doors and ignition. Had a few extra tumblers which we used for making mine work.
20200624_094154.jpeg
20200624_094212.jpeg
20200624_094250.jpeg

Before we took it to alignment we re-keyed the gas cap locks to fit my ignition key. Couldn't quite figure out which lock set I needed....so I only bought the set for the doors and ignition. Had a few extra tumblers which we used for making mine work.
View attachment 2350657View attachment 2350658View attachment 2350659
Hmm. My key set has matching keys for ignition, doors, glove box, rear door, and fuel door. Obviously I only have ignition and doors. I wonder if I could rig up something like your doing with the locking fuel cap?

Random pics because who doesn't like pics.
20200624_065237.jpg
20200624_065345.jpg
20200624_065509.jpg
20200624_065535.jpg
20200624_065605.jpg

Even more because who doesn't like even more pics
20200624_065117.jpg
20200624_065105.jpg
20200624_215409_1.jpg

Hmm. My key set has matching keys for ignition, doors, glove box, rear door, and fuel door. Obviously I only have ignition and doors. I wonder if I could rig up something like your doing with the locking fuel cap?

I didn't get to watch how my guy did it but I don't think it was all that hard. The later model dash uses different keys than the steel dash trucks....that's what tripped me up on the new lock set. When I bought them for the other truck, it was easy....got them all.....like what you probably got.

Now the real trick will be is if my guy can make the ignition key work for the spare wheel lock.....

You have more buttons on your steering wheel than I have in my whole truck. :lol:

Pretty much my goal of the build.....more buttons than any other 79. :)

Super cool. Congrats on the 2nd one. I might have to copy you on the cruise control. That is the only thing we never finished.
Thanks man. Cruise control was nice stuff and tied in to the speed sensor off the trans....so no sensors or pickups. Wanted to go more factory but it wasn't meant to be. On this one at least.

Rostra makes some pretty cool setup for buttons on the dash or column...just make sure you plan out how far in your column goes in before you put the stalk in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom