The Wall of Shame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:rofl: I was hoping you would post that pic!
This has every example of how NOT to wire a truck:
Wire nuts
No firewall grommet
Butt splices
Black electrical tape
Same color wire for many circuits
Wrong gauge wire
Cheap terminals

Then we have teflon tape on the clutch master cylinder fittings...

Wire nuts
No firewall grommet
Butt splices
Black electrical tape
Wrong gauge wire
Cheap terminals

See post #233 Mark.

Mark, I've never really looked at this thread before, this s*** is hurting my eyes.

Well, it’s a darn good thing you have a pacemaker to deal with it! Some of this stuff gives me palpitations!

Wire nuts
No firewall grommet
Butt splices
Black electrical tape
Wrong gauge wire
Cheap terminals

Everything about that master cylinder plumbing looks sketchy. The port plug looks like it's cross threaded and the outlet brake line can't be held by more than a thread or two.

Replace truck with more functional, less deadly unit, will save you time and possibly a life. Some of that is scary stuff thinking it was on the road.

Wire nuts
No firewall grommet
Butt splices
Black electrical tape
Wrong gauge wire
Cheap terminals

just missing the wraps of duct tape.

Mark, I've never really looked at this thread before, this s*** is hurting my eyes.

Jim,
I saw your post and realized I totally forgot I saved a head scratching PO "home made" part from years ago. You came to mind because as soon as we discovered this in my 75, I ordered your "correct" 350 adapter parts and did the job right.
Saved it on my garage wall to remind myself, never be surprised at the lengths people will go to save a dollar - priceless!

IMG_20150126_191953 - 1.jpg

IMG_20150128_113832 - 2.jpg

^^^ That adapter plate had no way to align the tranny to the engine, just bolt pattern alignment, which is at least .016 out of alignment.

Well, it’s a darn good thing you have a pacemaker to deal with it! Some of this stuff gives me palpitations!
You should have palpitations considering I've got both knees replaced, an arthritic back, gosh darn dentures, a pace maker- - -AND YOU ARE NOT THAT FAR BEHIND ME GRANDPA.

Unwrapped chassis harness off my ‘63 45. Lots of hard work to retain the proper colored wires at the connection points (including original plugs) but still utilize whatever scrap extra wire that’s on hand. Just wrap it all in good sticky tape, no one will know. Interesting splice in the original fuel sender and ground wire section, has to be original because there are two original string ties in that section (the robin’s egg color on the plastic connector on the fuel sender end is from PO overspray). @Coolerman this answers why my FD indicator light wires are LW vice GY, splice in a splice!
IMG_2549.jpg

Today’s entrants are domestic, out of a ‘66 front end I just picked up from @Dynosoar. @wngrog informed me many years ago these are to be referred to as ‘work-hardened.’ :rolleyes:View attachment 2214144
Wow! I had no idea that these were bad. Sorry about that. At least the price was right. I hope you were/are able to use some of the other parts.

Wow! I had no idea that these were bad. Sorry about that. At least the price was right. I hope you were/are able to use some of the other parts.
No worries Peter. The axle was obviously subjected to some blunt force trauma; probably went airborne. The housing was bent too. But it was low mileage. The knuckle balls were mint. They are going into the spare parts box for my blue 45, which spends enough time in 4wd to wear those out.

And the spider gears are already in another 3rd member...in another state. ;)

Found this old pic while searching for something completely different.

I‘did a knuckle overhaul for a customer about 8 years ago who had a front end old enough to have brass knuckle shims instead of steel.

But in addition to the brass shims, there were remnants of a few made out of ...PAPER!

87325F4F-3BDB-4317-84BD-101292F16495.jpeg

Interesting that I should find this pic today. I just finished rebuilding @thorslc1977 steering box. He had a paper gasket on the upper worm gear cover! Usually I just reuse whatever shims came with the box and it works ok. But this time I had to dig into my big box o shims and set shims from scratch.

557106D1-80AF-40E0-9F88-5458045F2066.jpeg

Bought a 1970 FST that I’m taking apart to hopefully rebuild. There was some play in the rear diff between the pinion flange and the rear axles.

I learned why yesterday
A7B1199B-5393-4BC9-854A-DCA6A38FE232.jpeg

There was a centimeter of metal filings on the drain plug and the diff oil sparkled when it dribbled out.

Bought a 1970 FST that I’m taking apart to hopefully rebuild. There was some play in the rear diff between the pinion flange and the rear axles.

I learned why yesterday
View attachment 2232706

There was a centimeter of metal filings on the drain plug and the diff oil sparkled when it dribbled out.

wowser, judging by the chips in the ring gear, there are some other issues going on.

Ripping wiring out of a Eric’s FJ40 :D
I really don’t get what it is about wiring that’s so difficult for people.

@FJ40Jim

D9C2C0E2-D09C-41A0-AB9C-F116CC440960.jpeg
F38F2516-1B8F-4312-BDFF-1DCEA5782EE9.jpeg
7C6A21B7-A1ED-48C1-9467-FDC9405A7F17.jpeg

Sometimes even the ordinary can be shame-worthy.

A few weeks back I did a carb rebuild and install on a survivor ‘68 FJ40 with in all likelihood under 100k original. Real clean looking truck. Gave it a cursory glance over and told the customer that IMO his tie rod ends were original. As in 52 years old. He did not want to believe me. I came back to it two or three more times over the course of the stay, and he agreed to let me change them.

As soon as I pulled the first one off, I chuckled.
AC6F840B-7698-462C-8495-E6B952DB25E3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom