Need a double check of the city racer alternator for 11/77 FJ55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
The alternator for my 11/77’ FJ55 gave up the ghost last week. I’m 99.9% sure this bad boy from city racer is the correct replacement but looking for confirmation before I install and turn the key. City racer site says this one is good from 9/77’-9/83’
1. What is the thingy that I’m pointing to on the city racer alternator that doesn’t exist on the original?
2. What post do I hook the wire up to on the back of this bad boy?
Thanks everyone.
IMG_9907.jpeg

IMG_9905.jpeg
IMG_9906.jpeg

Upon closer inspection it looks like the wire attached to the “B” terminal on the original. I’m going to assume the wire attaches to the “B” terminal on the city racer alternator as well. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks Mark!

Any idea if I’m going back onto the “B” post? Again I’m assuming so as that’s the post the wire came off of. This is a super simple job just want to double check as I know zilch about electricity and all my crayons are broken.

Good enough for me cult! B it is. If it explodes I’ll have learned something.

Just to close this up. Hooked the white wire with the blue stripe to the B terminal of the city racer alternator and she fired right up. No smoke. All looks good.

IMG_9911.jpeg

Thanks Mark!

Any idea if I’m going back onto the “B” post? Again I’m assuming so as that’s the post the wire came off of. This is a super simple job just want to double check as I know zilch about electricity and all my crayons are broken.
Yep, ‘B’ for Battery!

@jestlurnin You might want to shield the hot posts on that alternator with rubber boots so that you don't, say, lay your oil dipstick across them and fry something.

@SteveH I like that idea. Just a rubber boot off of McMaster carr? Or do you have a good source?

@ToyotaMatt likely has boots for this alternator positive post. A correct-fitting (proper) boot is a good thing here, versus the ones that fall off every time you look at them. I doubt a chain auto parts store will have anything useful.

Oh @ToyotaMatt …..you got something to help me out here? Let’s limit the opportunities for me to short the system out.

I was tempted to pull the trigger on an OEM one from your site but A. They were out of stock and B. The budget wouldn’t allow for OEM at this time.

i did a TECH. write-up a while back , i covers all the below and then some ,,,,,,,,,

that later FEN green plug adapter can get Nix'd if you want , the metal socket plug on your new unit above is also a FEN

New Voltage Regulator is a MUST-DO here for sure ....

new shoes = new shoe+ laces right ......? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom