SAS Solid Axle Summit 2018 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a set of 37s 12.50s on 17s for sale that I can bring if anyone is interested, good year mtr2 no plugs or patches about 75 to 80 percent tread left

New RCV axles in. Was going to do a part time kit but no part time with no free time! Brakes checked out, bearings rechecked. A few more items there. Tons more on the list but was great to finally knock some stuff off.

20180721_230449.jpg

So it looks like i won't be able to make it. I get back into town on the 8th and just dont have enough time to plan everything out.. pretty bummed becuase this has been on my to do list.

Just wanted to let you guys know incase a spot was waiting on me..

Thanks again. And ill be waiting on some pics!!

@POTATO LAUNCHER - Both fortunately and unfortunately, I've taken a new job in Oregon and will be moving there to start work on August 6th. So...needless to say, I won't be able to make this year's SAS as planned, so you can give my spot away. I'm bummed about missing SAS this year, but excited about the new opportunity/adventure and will definitely see you guys another year. Post lots of pics so I can be jealous from afar! Have fun! :beer:
Thats a bummer but getting out of this Texas heat will be a treat in Oregon.

View attachment 1748951

Driveway tested the ARB2500 for the trip. Looking forward to the field test next.
Looks good. I bought one for the 80 for this trip and was stoked to use it but s*** happens and now I'm taking the BJ40. It did take me a few times setting it up to figure out how to do it solo without looking like an idiot.

North Pass, on CO 114, is fairly gentle coming in from Saguache. If you were to come into Colorado through Denver, US 285 over Kenosha Pass (just shy of 10,000 feet) to Fairplay is a nice drive, and the pass isn't steep. Trout Creek Pass (just shy of 9,500 feet) into Buena Vista is just a blip. Poncha Pass (a tad over 9,000 feet) out of Poncha Springs isn't steep either. North Pass (just shy of 10,200 feet) between Saguache and Gunnison is gentle coming up from the east. And Cerro Summit (just shy of 8,000 feet) is a piece of cake. All but North Pass were routes for narrow gauge railroads, chosen because the grades aren't bad at all.

Poncha Pass and North Pass add some mileage, but the additional mileage allows you to avoid the very steep Monarch Pass west of Poncha Springs.
I did some more thinking about route options for you. If you ended up in Colorado Springs you could take CO 115 SW to Penrose, then take US 50 to Poncha Springs, following the Arkansas River. You'd avoid Kenosha Pass and Trout Creek Pass, but miss the scenery through South Park. From there over Marshall Pass (highly recommended, if you have the time), Monarch Pass on US 50 (steep with a lot of traffic), or Poncha Pass/North Pass to Gunnison.

I did some more thinking about route options for you. If you ended up in Colorado Springs you could take CO 115 SW to Penrose, then take US 50 to Poncha Springs, following the Arkansas River. You'd avoid Kenosha Pass and Trout Creek Pass, but miss the scenery through South Park. From there over Marshall Pass (highly recommended, if you have the time), Monarch Pass on US 50 (steep with a lot of traffic), or Poncha Pass/North Pass to Gunnison.
Looks like the quickest route from Chicago goes through Denver. Hopefully I can enjoy some of the scenic routes during the day and not be driving through it all at night. I’ll have to do my research and see what roads I haven’t taken before.

Plan B turns into plan C. My brother is no longer able to make it with his 80, so looks like I have a little over a week to get my 4runner preped; this should be interesting.. :doh:
How about he let you bring the 80 and you loan him the 4Runner for the week :). Sounds like a good trade to me

That is a good route to avoid steep climbs in a lot of traffic. You miss the beauty of South Park but you get to drive "The Grand Canyon of the Arkansas River" a.k.a. US Hwy 50 from Canon City to Salida.

Marshall Pass is a laid back and easy climb alternative to Monarch Pass.

Thought about Old Monarch Pass Road. But if you're west bound I recall you have to climb half way up the main Hwy 50 pass road to get to it.

East bound you get on Old Monarch down in the valley. Then where it rejoins the "new" road it's all downhill.

Plan B turns into plan C. My brother is no longer able to make it with his 80, so looks like I have a little over a week to get my 4runner preped; this should be interesting.. :doh:

You can do it...but how about @CenTexFJ60 thought ?? I mean that's what brothers are for...right?

And what are the issues with your 4Runner that you have to deal with?

Not enough time before the SAS to wrap up that solid front axle conversion???
You got me; was planning to borrow the one from the 60 for a few weeks. Haha

My first thought was to borrow my brother's 80, but being that he just bought the truck a few weeks ago, I can't really blame him for not wanting to let me borrow it for two weeks.

The 4runner doesn't need much, but a cheap spacer lift may be in order since it's got about the same ground clearance as a minivan

You got me; was planning to borrow the one from the 60 for a few weeks. Haha

My first thought was to borrow my brother's 80, but being that he just bought the truck a few weeks ago, I can't really blame him for not wanting to let me borrow it for two weeks.

The 4runner doesn't need much, but a cheap spacer lift may be in order since it's got about the same ground clearance as a minivan
So what’s going on with the 60 that you can’t bring it? I may have missed an earlier post. I know last year my trans was still on the ground 18 hours before departure. I had a few local MUD dudes roll in and help get it ready. Any chance you can resurrect yours in time?

I just discovered that the FJ60 skid plate I spent a lot of time de-rusting and repainting, specifically for the SAS, is for a pre-4/85 FJ60 :doh:. I was waiting for my exhaust modification (3FE exhaust manifolds to FJ60 catalytic converter) to be finished to eliminate the pipe that crosses under the frame rail. The exhaust work was done yesterday so I went out to the driveway this morning to install the skid plate, when I discovered my mistake. The '86 skid plate is still out at my place in Nevada, I grabbed the wrong one (I went for the cleanest one, not remembering the difference). Maybe someone has a spare 4/85 and later skid plate laying around they could bring to the SAS?

In any case, I'll be leading some easy, scenic runs, where a lot of ground clearance isn't required.

I just discovered that the FJ60 skid plate I spent a lot of time de-rusting and repainting, specifically for the SAS, is for a pre-4/85 FJ60 :doh:. I was waiting for my exhaust modification (3FE exhaust manifolds to FJ60 catalytic converter) to be finished to eliminate the pipe that crosses under the frame rail. The exhaust work was done yesterday so I went out to the driveway this morning to install the skid plate, when I discovered my mistake. The '86 skid plate is still out at my place in Nevada, I grabbed the wrong one (I went for the cleanest one, not remembering the difference). Maybe someone has a spare 4/85 and later skid plate laying around they could bring to the SAS?

In any case, I'll be leading some easy, scenic runs, where a lot of ground clearance isn't required.
John, you should be fine. I ran last year without a skid plate and most likely won’t have one this year.

I've got an '84 skid plate laying around but that's not going to help ya. Where in NV? Maybe someone coming to SAS will be close enough to stop by and bring it to you @ the KOA.

I've got an '84 skid plate laying around but that's not going to help ya. Where in NV? Maybe someone coming to SAS will be close enough to stop by and bring it to you @ the KOA.
I've got it stored inside the garage, maybe I need to start keeping parts outside :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom