Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got this stuff if needed.

20230107_092545.jpg

20230107_092630.jpg

20230107_092556.jpg

20230107_092616.jpg

I do need the column shifter and linkage. I need to figure out of the linkage still will work with the sbc in my fj40 but either way my 5 year plan is to put either a stock 1f 155 back in or a toyota diesel and would like to go back to the 3 on the tree. I just think the 3 on the tree is too unique today and If I can make it work I will. Some time today can you Dm me and we can figure out the details on shipping and everything else.

Plugged up some holes on both sides of the cruiser that I am guessing were fuel cans mounted there. did some practice for my rear sill and welded them up. I am about to sand and prime. I should have some spring green paint coming. These holes have been bugging me for a while. Next is to plug up where an antenna was on the passengerside. I need to make some patches for that I think though. The holes are pretty big.

IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG

Plugged up some holes on both sides of the cruiser that I am guessing were fuel cans mounted there. did some practice for my rear sill and welded them up. I am about to sand and prime. I should have some spring green paint coming. These holes have been bugging me for a while. Next is to plug up where an antenna was on the passengerside. I need to make some patches for that I think though. The holes are pretty big.

View attachment 3213650View attachment 3213652
Looks like you are using a grinding wheel. If so you may want to try some type of flapper/sanding disk instead.

Also, nice work and great looking 40!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you are using a grinding wheel. If so you may want to try some type of flapper/sanding disk instead.

Also, nice work and great looking 40!

View attachment 3213764
I am using the same set up in the picture actually. I think 40 grit instead. Yeah I suck with a disc sander though. I did order some flappy ones though. They should be here soon. I will say it looks like it gouged it pretty bad in the picture but I promise its smoother and flatter than it looks. Not the best work but I can do better. a di grinder sander would be nice. I need to get one of those. Do they make those in electric? My compressor is really too small to run air tools. anyways thanks!

I am using the same set up in the picture actually. I think 40 grit instead. Yeah I suck with a disc sander though. I did order some flappy ones though. They should be here soon. I will say it looks like it gouged it pretty bad in the picture but I promise its smoother and flatter than it looks. Not the best work but I can do better. a di grinder sander would be nice. I need to get one of those. Do they make those in electric? My compressor is really too small to run air tools. anyways thanks!

Not sure if they make an electric die grinder. Definitely helps to have the small pads for inside corners. I have some of the 36 grit too, they are pretty aggressive.

ive got some vac transfer linkage stuff from a 8/69 - not the dash handle it was long broken but from that out to tc - im not an expert on the stuff but i took it off and boxed it up if there is anything specific you need. the vac rubber all rotted probably

i would have just found a cool jerry can holder it will fit the vibe/patina and looks ....proper expedition lol
love the look of this rig

ive got some vac transfer linkage stuff from a 8/69 - not the dash handle it was long broken but from that out to tc - im not an expert on the stuff but i took it off and boxed it up if there is anything specific you need. the vac rubber all rotted probably

i would have just found a cool jerry can holder it will fit the vibe/patina and looks ....proper expedition lol
love the look of this rig
I need some of the linkage for sure. (images taken from SOR website) The 1969 linkage that I need looks to be the same as 1964. if sombody could confirm let me know. I know I will need the first arm that comes off of the transfer case. It is 40 on this. I am guessing I will need 45 and maybe 46 as well.

1969 :

072B.gif

1964:

072A.gif

I have thought about finding the oem jerry can and mounting bracket and putting somthine on the rear tailgate. I love the old series II and III land rovers. Id probibly get into those if I had some more money to buy one. The holes where what I beleivee were jerry can brackets and cans seemed like a bad fitment anyway. they left bad rub marks on the front fenders as well. I was happy to fill those holes. I have got a few other hols to fill in the top as well from what looks like lights or somthing. But for the love of god people gotta stop drilling holes in these old rigs!

yeah that goes under the truck to the tc - pretty sure i have that will check
my set up looked like the right side image - your probaby the left but parts may be adaptable - need to check with the early 40 gurus over in the 25 section maybe
most people dont know about this corner of the forum for early stuff like yours

Last edited:
so looking at your earlier pics - someone added the floor mount shifter....you have a dash and a floor shifter - so they disconnected the dash linkage right? have you checked the 4wd operation to make sure it works? those vac systems (to ME) are more complicated than just a straight to tc shifter .. a rube goldberg set of linkages - again, check with the early guys on the 25 side but MAYBE someone converted it because it was problematic - i.e you might go thru a lot of trouble to realize the floor shift works better.

so looking at your earlier pics - someone added the floor mount shifter....you have a dash and a floor shifter - so they disconnected the dash linkage right? have you checked the 4wd operation to make sure it works? those vac systems (to ME) are more complicated than just a straight to tc shifter .. a rube goldberg set of linkages - again, check with the early guys on the 25 side but MAYBE someone converted it because it was problematic - i.e you might go thru a lot of trouble to realize the floor shift works better.
yeah the floor shifter 4x4 works. I have 90% of the parts to put back the dash mounted shifter to working order and take out the floor one. Just missing the one peice of the linkage and a few other parts I am hoping to find. I just bought a vacuum actuator for the transfercase because I actually want to make the old vacuum 4x4 work and take out the floor shifter. I know its alot of work but I want to make it as original as I can. And if it wont work I can put it back to the floor shifting operation as I have all the parts. Most people probably think I am crazy to put it back to the vacuum actuated 4x4 but In my opinion its the most unique in the land cruisers.

Not crazy if you have a bench seat configuration and original steering column. There is always a rattle from stuff that I put in my center console anyway, so all that stuff lives on the passenger seat where I can get to it easy, anyway. Now, I'd hate to have to ride in the middle, just like I hated to when I was a kid in an AMC Ambassador Wagon "Land Yacht," with six people on two bench seats with gas and the giggles. Still, every time, I think of this...

"Cause I'm out on a mission, a stolen car mission
Had a small problem with the transmission
Three on the tree in the middle of the night
I have this steak on my head 'cause I got into a fist fight"

Not crazy if you have a bench seat configuration and original steering column. There is always a rattle from stuff that I put in my center console anyway, so all that stuff lives on the passenger seat where I can get to it easy, anyway. Now, I'd hate to have to ride in the middle, just like I hated to when I was a kid in an AMC Ambassador Wagon "Land Yacht," with six people on two bench seats with gas and the giggles. Still, every time, I think of this...

"Cause I'm out on a mission, a stolen car mission
Had a small problem with the transmission
Three on the tree in the middle of the night
I have this steak on my head 'cause I got into a fist fight"
Hahahhahah Nice! beastie boys. First album I ever bought was License to ill on tape deck.

Yeah would love my 1964 to go back to mostly original in the interior. If I have to keep the floor shifter I will but I think I can make the 4x4 on the dash work again and clean floor. Plus its easier to reach to the dash to actuate the 4x4 than the floor. I actually use 4x4 alot out here. almost every day.

yeah the floor shifter 4x4 works. I have 90% of the parts to put back the dash mounted shifter to working order and take out the floor one. Just missing the one peice of the linkage and a few other parts I am hoping to find. I just bought a vacuum actuator for the transfercase because I actually want to make the old vacuum 4x4 work and take out the floor shifter. I know its alot of work but I want to make it as original as I can. And if it wont work I can put it back to the floor shifting operation as I have all the parts. Most people probably think I am crazy to put it back to the vacuum actuated 4x4 but In my opinion its the most unique in the land cruisers.
I dont! I love the original dash lever and FD knob and a clean flat transmission hump!

I dont! I love the original dash lever and FD knob and a clean flat transmission hump!
Thanks! I am excited to make it work again. The transfercase vacuum actuator should show up today! I need to purchase some other parts still though. I am thinking I will get to this on a non busy weekend. plus I really cant wait to see that little green light work.

Well, if you do later hooks, there is not as much to modify? They don't need a dedicated hook on the hood to hold them in place when not in use. Although I'm in b+w, if you took my hook/windshield pads, you'd have unmatched paint.

20221210_094755.jpg

My guess is that you can get away with four pop rivets on the windshield frame to hold a windshield-frame hook? until you are ready to throw sparks and get really messy. Measure twice, and then twice again like a week later, and it is all drilling and some minor fab with some 3/32" steel.

Last edited:
Well, if you do later hooks, there is not as much to modify? They don't need a dedicated hook on the hood to hold them in place when not in use. Although I'm in b+w, if you took my hook/windshield pads, you'd have unmatched paint.

View attachment 3217937

My guess is that you can get away with four pop rivets on the windshield frame to hold a windshield-frame hook? until you are ready to throw sparks and get really messy. Measure twice, and then twice again like a week later, and it is all drilling and some minor fab with some 3/32" steel.
yes tripple measuring for the windsheild frame for sure. I still have not made up my mind yet if Ill buy a splt hood with all the stuff drilled in yet or not.

Thats what I have been doing with the rear sill. I have all my cut marks drawn out with a paint pen right now. I am going to start cutting into it this weekend. I have monday and tuesday off work so Ill have all day to take my time on the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom