My First FJ40 My Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been bad about keeping the updates flowing to this thread, but I have HUGE news. Yesterday she passed her Texas Vehicle Safety Inspection! It has been an amazing, challenging, (though not as expensive as I thought) ride. For anyone embarking on this "hobby" I have this advice.

1. Get organized, figure out the goal for the next month (or two).
  2. Make a list of what you need to get there. In my case the goal was passing the inspection. The list came from the Texas Vehicle Code.
  3. Work one problem at a time while you order the parts for the next problem. Having a steady supply of parts rolling in kept me productive on the weekends.
Don't get overwhelmed. These forums are amazing for their knowledge, but also for the moral support they provide. Others have been right where you are, sitting in a steaming hot garage, with a disassembled "thing" trying to solve the "why doesn't this work?" question.
In getting to this momentous point, I have:
  • Replaced the fuel tank and all fuel lines
  • Replaced the rear brakes and brake lines
  • Replaced the master cylinder
  • Re-soldered and fixed the backup switch and lights
  • Rewired the rear blinkers
  • Replaced and rewired the rear marker lights
  • Rewired the front turn signals
  • Repaired the horns (makes me smile every time I honk and hear the lovely "chord" it plays.)
  • Manufactured horn button springs
  • Rebuilt the replacement Rochester carb
  • Rebuild the rear lift struts
  • Restored the license plate frame
Taking her out for a drive was thrilling. Once I get my plates and tag Monday she's off to get new tires.

I plan to write up or add to existing threads some of the additional stuff I have learned along the way, like testing circuits. Seems like a lot of folks struggle with the electrical component of working on an FJ40. I find it easy if you follow the FSM. My favorite "makes me smile" moment happened recently while troubleshooting the engine temperature sender. I think of this as a 1960s engineer sending me a message from the past.

Congratulations! Very cool, so nice to hear!

I would be very interested in your writeup on how to test circuits! I am an absolute noob and completely tear apart my fj40. So consider me signed up for this guide :D

Anyways enjoy your ride!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom