Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i've learned ANY holes in the firewall or tunnel cover will wick engine fumes up as well - plug tight any firewall holes.
plus if your carb is running lean / exhaust leaks it makes even worse
replace the gasket on the tank sending unit
install a new vented gas cap - i am not certain on these early ones, but assume vented

Santa was good to me this year. Got a few things to help me on this fj40 project. some welding things Like clamps and a nice new autodimming helmet.

I got a Oem style gas cap from @ToyotaMatt and a family member bought me a front Toyota badge. both quick instals.

I got some weatherstripping for my scissor bifold rear hatch from City racer. I started installing those today. I am un sure how one of the pieces of weather stripping is oriented. but ill figure it out.
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1100.JPG
IMG_1099.JPG

Also does anybody know that this is for on the rear bifold doors? Picture below

IMG_1101.JPG

Santa was good to me this year. Got a few things to help me on this fj40 project. some welding things Like clamps and a nice new autodimming helmet.

I got a Oem style gas cap from @ToyotaMatt and a family member bought me a front Toyota badge. both quick instals.

I got some weatherstripping for my scissor bifold rear hatch from City racer. I started installing those today. I am un sure how one of the pieces of weather stripping is oriented. but ill figure it out.
View attachment 3203954View attachment 3203960View attachment 3203961

View attachment 3203962

where is my SOLID NICKLE Alloy period correct Reproduction Retainer Chain w/ butterfly clip on that Cap 🤔

i don't see it glistening in the sunlight :D

you know , this fit form function BLING thingy-thing i pipe dreamed folks MUST HAVE .....

if you reply back , you did not get one / you scooped up that cap long ago before chain became standard equipment feature ?

i will have my moment with myself for a moment , then i will absolutely mail you out a chain retainer KIT for my special cap there ...

i give you this pledge now .... :)

1672278461361.png

1672278480914.png

1672278511278.png

Last edited:
where is my SOLID NICKLE Alloy period correct Reproduction Retainer Chain w/ butterfly clip on that Cap 🤔

i don't see it glistening in the sunlight :D

you know , this fit form function BLING thingy-thing i pipe dreamed folks MUST HAVE .....

if you reply back , you did not get one / you scooped up that cap long ago before chain became standard equipment feature ?

i will have my moment with myself for a moment , then i will absolutely mail you out a chain retainer KIT for my special cap there ...

i give you this pledge now .... :)

View attachment 3204139

View attachment 3204140

View attachment 3204141
Don't worry @ToyotaMatt I have the chain! its the reason I wanted your cap! funny story though, my grandmother purchased this as a christmas gift. when I opened the gift (it was in the original package.) it also had a USB charger in the bag. My grandma did not know anything about it. The original shipping Package was sealed though. :meh: Let me know if you are missing a usb charger i guess haha.

Love the cap though!! Thank you.

IMG_1102.JPG
IMG_1106.JPG
IMG_1105.JPG

View attachment 3203954View attachment 3203960View attachment 3203961

View attachment 3203962
I realized yesterday when installing the bifold weather stripping that city racer only sent 2 of the 4 horizontal weatherstripping. I emailed them this morning to see if they shipped in a different box or somthing because looking at the invoice I did in-fact order 4 horizontal pieces and 2 vertical ones. Witch means I will be pulling off the bifold door yet again. 😑 I think it was an honest mistake. Waiting to hear back from city racer. Update: @Racer65 was awesome and sent the two bi fold weather stripping that was missing. Awesome customer service.

Last edited:
I realized yesterday when installing the bifold weather stripping that city racer only sent 2 of the 4 horizontal weatherstripping. I emailed them this morning to see if they shipped in a different box or somthing because looking at the invoice I did in-fact order 4 horizontal pieces and 2 vertical ones. Witch means I will be pulling off the bifold door yet again. 😑

At least it should be easier to remove now!

Don't worry @ToyotaMatt I have the chain! its the reason I wanted your cap! funny story though, my grandmother purchased this as a christmas gift. when I opened the gift (it was in the original package.) it also had a USB charger in the bag. My grandma did not know anything about it. The original shipping Package was sealed though. :meh: Let me know if you are missing a usb charger i guess haha.

Love the cap though!! Thank you.

View attachment 3204427View attachment 3204430View attachment 3204428

charger was a xmass gift in our orders for our valued clients ........ :) :santa:

No updates really to speak of. I am still waiting on sheilding gas to start my rear sill project. I checked when I was closer to welding stores off the island and it was around 100$ cheeper to just buy the gas online and have it shipped. Kinda wish I had just bought it though. but 100$ can go to lots of other small parts! also better to do that than to travel with it in the back of the truck all of christmas as well. City Racer is sending the rest of the skissor door weather stripping. It should be here at the end of the week. I have new body mounts to put in when I do the rear sill. gotta buy some 1028 spring green paint. anybody know a good paint shop to buy online from?

Happy first day of 2023 shots below. My fiance riding with me to do the errands as well.
Whitagram-Image 5.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG

Last edited:
I have a few questions for the early fj40 experts. 1. I really want to go back to the three on the tree. How hard is it to go back to that if its been moved to a floor shifter? Eventually I would like to make the vacuum actuation 4wd work too. It also has been moved to the floor. (i am unsure how feasible this is because the engine swap to a sbc) I know I need the vacuum actuator that is in the Transfercase to make that happen.

2. Additionally I need a kind sole to do some measuring for me. I need to figure out where to mount my windsheild bump stops and hooks. I think I am going to add these because I plan on driving some this summer with the windsheild folded down and I dont want it to bounce around. I had a towel under it when I tried it last month.

3. Does city raccer have a mud account? I would like to thank them helping me out.

ill post this in the classifieds but I really want to buy the column shifter too. Like below.
DSC05184 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
@Racer65 Is city racers mud handle.

Cant help with the early rigs, but I hope there is an anti-rust plan due to your epic locale!

@Racer65 Is city racers mud handle.

Cant help with the early rigs, but I hope there is an anti-rust plan due to your epic locale!
Oh yes lots of rust prevention no worries. She gets a monthly fluid film bath. I also converted the surface with curoseal and then sprayed the frame with some frame paint. then fluid film. you cant have too much down here. But honestly the salt roads seem worse on vehicles than the salty ocean down here. I used some of this paint additive stuff for the body to keep it nice. Ill post a picture of the stuff. It drys matt and is like a temporary 6th month clear coat. I wipped the body down with that.

Thanks !

Last edited:
In an earlier engine bay pic looks like you still have the dash vacuum FD unit and mechanical TC Hi-N-Lo linkage, so seems like you should be able to get it functional. Maybe just a FD unit rebuild?

In an earlier engine bay pic looks like you still have the dash vacuum FD unit and mechanical TC Hi-N-Lo linkage, so seems like you should be able to get it functional. Maybe just a FD unit rebuild?
yeah I think most of the vacuum stuff is still there other than the part that is bolted to the transfer case. I even think the vaccume lines are there just capped off. I dont know what its called but I have seen one or two for sale recently. I think @OGBeno had one for sale.. I could be wrong though.

the shifter for it was moved to the floor. and that vacuum part was replaced with the floor shifter. I would assume after I install that part. and replumb the vacuum lines to that and then make sure vacuum is being pulled from the engine that it would work.

I know Mark told me he tried getting it to work before. Ill text him to see what he thinks was wrong.

@middlecalf (Moved this to my thread.) reguarding the Vacuum 4x4, Looking online I can buy the switch, ball bearing, gasket and the bolts for from spector off road. Have not looked yet but the switch might be dangling somwere down there. How can I check the vacuume switch to see if its working? Un plug a hose and see if it creates a vacuum while running when I actuate the FD nob? although I dont think its actaully connected.

If you have the switch in hand (unplugged) and it’s connected to (the right) wires with power you can just toggle the switch to see if it and the light and the wires are functional. I’ll ping John @pardion as he might be another less expensive option for these parts.

If you have the switch in hand (unplugged) and it’s connected to (the right) wires with power you can just toggle the switch to see if it and the light and the wires are functional. I’ll ping John @pardion as he might be another less expensive option for these parts.
Yeah looked up under there The switch and wiring where the ball bearing would be are no longer there. I assume It was taken out when the vacuum actuator was taken off the transfer case. I am going to check up under the dash just to make sure its not tucked up under there tomorow when I have more time.I did find the wiring for the fuel sending unit in an odd place so you never know.

I am also missing the last peice of linkage going towards the transfer case for the 4 low. I looked and again spector has it used. Not bad priced actually 25$ I might by it and pay the shipping making it 50$. Just to not do a whole bunch of searching for that piece. I am kinda determined to make the vacuum 4x4 system work now. It will make the floor much cleaner as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom