Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I almost fogot to mention. One of my spare tire mount hinges is frozen. does anybody have any tips on getting it free? I took the castle nut off and put some heat to it but no luck. right now its soaking in some diesel to see if it will soak in and get it free.
Any luck with this yet? I remember the door worked when we first got the 40, 4 years ago. I think the rotting rear sill messed up the structural integrity and when hitting bumps with the weight of the rear tire, it may have bent stuff internally? Stopped working about 2 years ago if I remember correctly. Took the rear tire off the moment I noticed the issue and could never get it to free up since. Wish you the best with it all. So cool to see all you have done!

Any luck with this yet? I remember the door worked when we first got the 40, 4 years ago. I think the rotting rear sill messed up the structural integrity and when hitting bumps with the weight of the rear tire, it may have bent stuff internally? Stopped working about 2 years ago if I remember correctly. Took the rear tire off the moment I noticed the issue and could never get it to free up since. Wish you the best with it all. So cool to see all you have done!
Thanks! I have been cranking through everything. I am planning on making the vacuums actuated 4x4 work. I think its pretty cool. Going to sort out some seats this summer I think. I would like to get some factory front bench seats.

I ended up buying a set of hinges off of @Dallas Todd I heated the old hinge up red hot with a torch and still could not get it free. I soaked it in diesel for a week too. banged on it till I started bending stuff and no luck. It was really frozen. No big deal though.

The rear scissor hatch is really cool! I re did the weather stripping and I actually like it better than the later hatches.

Please don't Judge too harshly! I did the rear sill this weekend. some mistakes were made but I can live with them. I welded in the driver patch a little low. and I did warp the passenger side slightly. I can live with the mistakes though. I will have to weld the floor to the sill cover at some point. at one point somebody tried repairing the floor and cut it back too far. I might have been able to save it but decided to cut all that out. Unfortunately I think Ill need to purchase some more metal to finish it. I might purchase a rear tub floor this summer to cut ant patch in. I still have a few little patches to do but honestly It looks better than before at least! Next comes some more sanding. And then some paint! I am going to go in and use some seam sealer on underside to protect from rust too. Then Of course some sort of paint or undercoating. I am currently measuring out where to drill out the holes for the bottom hinges on the rear doors.

I think for my first time welding bigger body panels I did alright. I certainly could do it better if I had to do it again knowing what I know now.

Pl
69542091168__D01D8CC4-5FD2-48D3-A90B-136F6995DFED.JPG
IMG_1348.JPG
69542288559__11DB35FC-D6DD-449B-8FED-255508313D93.JPG
IMG_1361 2.JPG
IMG_1367 2.JPG

Last edited:
I like your shop!

I like your shop!
Rachael and I are going to be building a house here in the next year. we have the land just gotta save up. In the plans the first floor in the back part of the house is a garage. I cant wait. I have soo many plans once I have this 40 in a garage. Including some sort of engine swap haha.

Please don't Judge too harshly! I did the rear sill this weekend. some mistakes were made but I can live with them. I welded in the driver patch a little low. and I did warp the passenger side slightly. I can live with the mistakes though. I will have to weld the floor to the sill cover at some point. at one point somebody tried repairing the floor and cut it back too far. I might have been able to save it but decided to cut all that out. Unfortunately I think Ill need to purchase some more metal to finish it. I might purchase a rear tub floor this summer to cut ant patch in. I still have a few little patches to do but honestly It looks better than before at least! Next comes some more sanding. And then some paint! I am going to go in and use some seam sealer on underside to protect from rust too. Then Of course some sort of paint or undercoating. I am currently measuring out where to drill out the holes for the bottom hinges on the rear doors.

I think for my first time welding bigger body panels I did alright. I certainly could do it better if I had to do it again knowing what I know now.

PlView attachment 3221001View attachment 3221002View attachment 3221003View attachment 3221004View attachment 3221006
You did a great job. You are your own worst critic.

Good on you for getting after it!
Looks good! I replaced my passenger floor and rockers. Learned a lot.

That first cut is nerve wracking to say the least. Nice work

Good on you for getting after it!
Looks good! I replaced my passenger floor and rockers. Learned a lot.

That first cut is nerve wracking to say the least. Nice work
Thanks! First cut is very nerve wracking! I think I measured about 8 different times. then I cut the panel out and had to do some more trimming haha. I am going to patch the outer rockers next. I think I am just going to do small patches for that vrs replacing the whole rocker. I dont think I can say for sure until I cut into it though.

That looks great. I’ll be doing the same project eventually.

What are you welding with?
Thanks! I am using a eastwood mig 140. I was really close to getting a hobart equivalent but ended up with this eastwood because it was on sale. I really like it. works well seems well made. I like the tack feature.

Well I finished it all up. Just gotta clean some paint overspray. Now I feel like I gotta paint the doors to to make it match better haha. I will need to buy a spare tire. looks weird without it. Got the rim mounted up though. Also I still need to install one of the middle weatherstripping on the scissor door. also I thought I took a picture with it but I did reinstall the turn signal light on the passenger side.

Here is a question. Should I paint the bumperets to match the color of the cruiser or leave them the pewter color?

@Green Bean I got the Vacuum actuation part for the transfercase. blowing in it seems to make it actuate. So I am assuming it works. I will probably buy the parts for that this week so I can start putting that stuff together soon.

IMG_1385.JPG
IMG_1387.JPG

Last edited:
Great work! Bumper and bumperettes same color in my book. Pewter.

Thanks! I am using a eastwood mig 140. I was really close to getting a hobart equivalent but ended up with this eastwood because it was on sale. I really like it. works well seems well made. I like the tack feature.
I have an Eastwood tig and plasma cutter. People dog on them but the machines aren’t holding me back, that’s for sure. I’ve never met someone who used one that’s had a bad thing to say.

Sill looks great! Keep at it!

Honestly some cheep walmart t1028 paint, self etching primer and weldable primer. I am unsure yet if I want to strip the whole land cruiser an paint yet with nice paint. If i do that it will be in the fall of this year.

Honestly that looks pretty good color match wise. I dig the old looking ones more than a pretty one anyway

Honestly that looks pretty good color match wise. I dig the old looking ones more than a pretty one anyway
I know I like the old weathered look. but being out here I dont want it to start dissolving into rust. I have been treating the cruiser with a paint additive that preserves the patina. I cant remember what its called. But it would be nice not to do that every so often.

Way better than all that rust, nice job!

I vote pewter on the bumperettes.

I think I am sticking with the pewter. I saw a spring green fj40 with the bumperets painted and they looked good. I wonder if these came with some of the exterior parts painted. Mine has the front fender mounted turnsignals are painted. .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom