Builds Salt wagon My first fj40 (build) (18 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think in the 25 and very early 45 worlds these sorts of things were painted body color (including the interior and dash components), if you search through the millions of mud posts you‘ll find posts with color pictures from sales brochures that show “factory“ paint schemes. And some aren’t even in agreement with each other 😂 which of course leads to endless debates. In my opinion FWIW all these body and interior components painted body color looks like one of those ubiquitous Earl Scheib $100 paint jobs from back in 70’s and 80’s.

Last edited:
I finally found some seats for my fj40. I was having a hard time with shipping causing the seats that were rough to be over 1000$ I just bought these from a 1968 I was told. either way they look to be correct for my year. They need to be upholstered obviously. I think I am going to go with the coral color! This will be a summer project as I will need to wait till then to start it so I will store them till then. But I am super excited. Any input on seat color let me know. I know the rear jump seats are that coral color.

IMG_1357.jpg

Last edited:
I think in the 25 and very early 45 worlds these sorts of things were painted body color (including the interior and dash components), if you search through the millions of mud posts you‘ll find posts with color pictures from sales brochures that show “factory“ paint schemes. And some aren’t even in agreement with each other 😂 which of course leads to endless debates. In my opinion FWIW all these body and interior components painted body color looks like one of those ubiquitous Earl Scheib $100 paint jobs from back in 70’s and 80’s.
Yeah I have heard lots of back an forth on this too. I wonder if some of this was painted in the states when they assembled them. Kinda like how I have always heard the toyota trucks always had their beds installed in the US.

I finally found some seats for my fj40. I was having a hard time with shipping causing the seats that were rough to be over 1000$ I just bought these from a 1968 I was told. either way they look to be correct for my year. They need to be upholstered obviously. I think I am going to go with the coral color! This will be a summer project as I will need to wait till then to start it so I will store them till then. But I am super excited. Any input on seat color let me know. I know the rear jump seats are that coral color.

View attachment 3222889
Good score on the seats. I vote for the coral.

Good score on the seats. I vote for the coral.

I second the coral vote but I am biased. Mine had coral from the factory and when the time comes, I'll be replacing them with another coral set. It just looks good.

Black is also a good choice. You don't have to worry to much about sitting on them with muddy pants or whatever.

1968_toyota_land-cruiser-fj40_76e781a7-94b1-4291-a129-c24669ac0eab-29537.jpeg

That being said, there's just something about these babies that pops. Maybe I'm weird.

1966_toyota_land-cruiser-fj40_Seat-1-67249-page-001-00979-scaled.jpg

It's probably the spring green color combo but I've never seen one with brown covers. More pics here: 55-Years-Family-Owned 1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-16/

I second the coral vote but I am biased. Mine had coral from the factory and when the time comes, I'll be replacing them with another coral set. It just looks good.

Black is also a good choice. You don't have to worry to much about sitting on them with muddy pants or whatever.

1968_toyota_land-cruiser-fj40_76e781a7-94b1-4291-a129-c24669ac0eab-29537.jpeg

That being said, there's just something about these babies that pops. Maybe I'm weird.

1966_toyota_land-cruiser-fj40_Seat-1-67249-page-001-00979-scaled.jpg

It's probably the spring green color combo but I've never seen one with brown covers. More pics here: 55-Years-Family-Owned 1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-16/
That leather brown looks super nice! I am not sure where I would even find that aside from taking the seats to an upholsterer. Basically what I have seen from cruiser corps and Spector is they have two or three color options that come in kits. Coral, Grey, and Black. If I could not get the coral, I might go for the gray. Again this will be a summer project. Plus the hot sun will probably help stretching the material over the foam and frames.

the early pickups were imported without beds for tax reasons. (same reason the subaru brat had the seats in the bed). We were taxing foreign trucks excessively in the 70s and 80s.

40s came in complete, with some odd and end dealer add ons at the dealer discretion, such as manual hubs.
The tax still exists today for imported trucks. I think it’s one of the reasons Toyota manufactures the tundra and Tacoma here in the USA, and a significant reason why we can’t get the hilux or 79 series pickup, however, it obviously isn’t the only reason. It’s a 25% tax while every other type of vehicle is a 2.5% tax

Also, that has to be the sexiest looking patina I’ve seen. Every patina owner aspires to have the look of that truck. Well done on the catch. Subscribed.

still waiting on the seats to ship but I did mount a spare tire. unfortunulty I will need wheel spacers (just for the spare) as the 33x9.50 15 Kenda kevlar does not quite fit with out impeding opening all the hatches and everything. any thoughts on what size spacer? I think I have a 1 inch tire spacer somwhere that I will try. Looks cool with a spare though!
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG

I also shot some epic photos on my fuji medium format today. Ill post them as soon as I get through the roll and process them.
IMG_1435.JPG

Want to get everyones opinion. Originality or something better? I really want to swap the engine out for a toyota engine at some point in the next few years. while my sbc runs well and works its not a toyota and it bothers me a little. In the mean time I want to start gathering parts. I would like it to be a relatively "easy" swap. or at least something that my capable willing to learn how to hands can do. I know what ever I do Ill need to swap out the bell housing and probably change out the transmission for a 4 speed for some of the engine swaps. The engines i had in mind are the toyota 3b no turbo. maybe a 3fe (I have experience with the 3fe). If I want to go crazy a 1fz would be really cool but I think maybe too much work. I also saw a 1kz swap on mud somewhere looked to be a little too much fab and wiring for my taste though. I also would not mind finding a good 1f 155 engine. occasionally I see them on face book marketplace. Keep in mind I dont need to go fast where I live. I am not a led foot.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time. If anybody has a better suggestion for toyota powerplant let me know. the only engine I dont want to do would be a ls swap.

anyways let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Want to get everyones opinion. Originality or something better? I really want to swap the engine out for a toyota engine at some point in the next few years. while my sbc runs well and works its not a toyota and it bothers me a little. In the mean time I want to start gathering parts. I would like it to be a relatively "easy" swap. or at least something that my capable willing to learn how to hands can do. I know what ever I do Ill need to swap out the bell housing and probably change out the transmission for a 4 speed for some of the engine swaps. The engines i had in mind are the toyota 3b no turbo. maybe a 3fe (I have experience with the 3fe). If I want to go crazy a 1fz would be really cool but I think maybe too much work. I also saw a 1kz swap on mud somewhere looked to be a little too much fab and wiring for my taste though. I also would not mind finding a good 1f 155 engine. occationally I see them on face book marketplace. Keep in mind I dont need to go fast where I live. I am not a led foot.

This has been in the back of my mind for some time. If anybody has a better suggestion for toyota powerplant let me know. the only engine I dont want to do would be a ls swap.

anyways let me know your thoughts.
It’s your truck, you get to build it however you want to, fit whatever comforts or looks you want, but I’ll just say what I would do

Excellent tire choice, it’s exactly the tire I’m getting. I’d get A/C for it (I live in Raleigh and Charlotte, so I know it can get super hot in the summer), better suspension because rough country springs suck, and I would just keep up with maintenance. The engine swap may cost more than you expect, expect something to go wrong.

Also nothing wrong with getting a 2F engine if you want that too. If it isn’t a 4 speed, I’d get a 4 speed in it

Diesels are cool, but they are soooo slow. Don’t expect to go on freeways and go with traffic. Compared to a Chevy V8, you’re gonna feel like your car is broken because it’s so slow compared the the Chevy. Also parts are expensive and hard to find. If you can live with that, get a diesel because they’re cool, but they’re actually terrible for the US lol

It’s your truck, you get to build it however you want to, fit whatever comforts or looks you want, but I’ll just say what I would do

Excellent tire choice, it’s exactly the tire I’m getting. I’d get A/C for it (I live in Raleigh and Charlotte, so I know it can get super hot in the summer), better suspension because rough country springs suck, and I would just keep up with maintenance. The engine swap may cost more than you expect, expect something to go wrong.

Also nothing wrong with getting a 2F engine if you want that too. If it isn’t a 4 speed, I’d get a 4 speed in it
I really dont mind the 3 speed for now. but yeah a 4 speed is a plan I think. I was keen on putting it back to a 3 on the tree but that might be out. Yeah I actually have planned on putting a dobinsons 2 inch lift springs and kit under it this summer. the suspension on it really sucks haha. Thought about a 2f. you can get the 3fe cheeper usually for some reason though. :meh:

Right now I just want to start looking for parts for a swap. springs will get swapped this summer though.

there was a really really good deal on a 3b engine on mud recently. I am really tempted to bite the bullet. I dont mind going slow. like I said where I live the speed limit is 55 out of town and 25mph in town. I just came from a diesel kzj78. parts were annoying to find for that but I got accustom to waiting on stuff coming from over seas haha.

3spd and 4spd are both 1:1 in high. Do you need the synchronized 1st gear in the 4spd for beach driving? Do you just want to shift more often? Right now diesel is $1.50/gal more than regular ethanol, maybe $1.20 more than non-ethanol where I live. I’m not a hard core Toyota person so in your rig there‘s no difference between an SBC and a non-F135 motor for “originality” IMHO. Original is what original does 😝. Take a look at that Fuji non-digital camera in your hands 😊.

3spd and 4spd are both 1:1 in high. Do you need the synchronized 1st gear in the 4spd for beach driving? Do you just want to shift more often? Right now diesel is $1.50/gal more than regular ethanol, maybe $1.20 more than non-ethanol where I live. I’m not a hard core Toyota person so in your rig there‘s no difference between an SBC and a non-F135 motor for “originality” IMHO. Original is what original does 😝. Take a look at that Fuji non-digital camera in your hands 😊.
I know with the prices of Diesel its probably the same cost to run a diesel engine vrs a gas one. I loved the diesel in my kzj though but that was a turbo'd engine too. I dont need an syncro 1st so you are probably right. it stays in second alot of the time. I love the whine of the old transmissions too. I am a little bit of a toyota purist but I can make compromises for sure.

yeah I love shooting film. I just got this fuji. I have a digital too but film is more fun. Hard to actually beat 6x9 format for actual resolution too. Can make some big enlargements.

Also, the 3b is has a mechanical fuel pump, so it can run biodiesel. If you are motivated enough, you can make super cheap diesel from cleaning used cooking oil, used motor oil, vegetable oil, basically any oil that combusts with oxygen…there’s instructions online to making biodiesel. Super cheap, but your truck might smell like McDonald’s.

just snag a cheap (free) 2f/4sp from a late 40 or 60. The older 4 speed and gear driven t case will give you all the old clunking and whine you'll ever want.

People are pulling those out everyday for swaps. If you want to get crazy with it, add fuel injection or a full Cop Motor Mosely rebuild.

A proper running 2F is smooth sailing!

Also, the 3b is has a mechanical fuel pump, so it can run biodiesel. If you are motivated enough, you can make super cheap diesel from cleaning used cooking oil, used motor oil, vegetable oil, basically any oil that combusts with oxygen…there’s instructions online to making biodiesel. Super cheap, but your truck might smell like McDonald’s.
Now there is Idea! No Mcdonalds here on ocracoke so that might be good haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom