OEM Front Coil Spacers Installed (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Fellas!

I just had the front spacers installed today by my local dealer. Next stop was Discount Tire. When they put the LC up on jacks they called me over to show me the damage in the pics below.

Should I be worried about this? Or is it merely cosmetic damage to the sleeves?

59FD91FF-7A1D-4794-81FF-033198C510D1.jpeg
F8FB0AC9-6D03-491F-A7B8-9909F8747EEB.jpeg

I appreciate everyone in advance! I’ll post some pics of the full vehicle soon. THANKS!

Hey Fellas!

I just had the front spacers installed today by my local dealer. Next stop was Discount Tire. When they put the LC up on jacks they called me over to show me the damage in the pics below.

View attachment 2699314View attachment 2699315

I appreciate everyone in advance! I’ll post some pics of the full vehicle soon. THANKS!
I would demand a replacement. Monkey work.

Hey Fellas!

Take it back right away. Don’t wait too much so they tell you it has been too long.

On a separate note, does anyone with the front coil spacers installed felt the back a tiny sagged (as opposed to aligned with the front)? Would removing the third row seats solve the issue?

Hey Fellas!

WHOA. That's a "go directly back to the dealer, do not pass go, do not collect $200" type of thing. That's horrible and needs new shocks now.

Hey Fellas!

That sleeve is metal, and will rub on the main shock body as it compresses that far. Absolutely not just cosmetic.

I don’t even know how that happened, as spring compressors aren’t required to install the spacer. Just remove the whole assembly with spring still on the strut, and reinstall with the spacer on the studs on top.

To everyone else: this should be a simple job but this post proves, find someone trustworthy to do ANY mechanical work. Sadly we can’t even trust dealers with this stuff anymore.

$5 it was a pry bar on the coil as they jammed the shock back in rather than just loosening the bottom cam bolts

yeah they need to fix. You can probably bend the dust shield back, but it’s going to require removing the coil to do it right. At that point they should replace.

I would demand a replacement. Monkey work.
$5 it was a pry bar on the coil as they jammed the shock back in rather than just loosening the bottom cam bolts

yeah they need to fix. You can probably bend the dust shield back, but it’s going to require removing the coil to do it right. At that point they should replace.

Thanks guys for the quick responses.
I for sure thought the sleeves were metal too. I just reached in there and tapped on them and they feel/sound like plastic.

I guess knowing they are plastic makes me feel a little better?

I am going to go back to the dealer to have them looked at. I am dreading going back because this has been a nightmare already.

Now that we all know they’re plastic, can anyone offer their expert opinion if I should be worried about damage to the actual metal component underneath it?

I think the pry bar theory may be the culprit.

I for sure thought the sleeves were metal too. I just reached in there and tapped on them and they feel/sound like plastic.

I am going to go back to the dealer to have them looked at. I am dreading going back because this has been a nightmare already.

Now that we all know they’re plastic, can anyone offer their expert opinion if I should be worried about damage to the actual metal component underneath it?

It’ll rub on flex, which may make noise and will eventually wear the plastic. Prolly won’t hurt anything structural as I think the seal/shaft are inward quite a ways. Could probably heatgun it away, but it’s still Busch league on their part

If it’s plastic I wouldn’t be as worried about long term functional problems but at the end of the day they damaged your property through carelessness and poor quality work. They owe you something to make it right. The problem is a new shock only allows them more opportunities to screw things up.

I could swear the shields on my 2013 shocks were metal.. will have to double check.

Oh and if I haven’t given you my spiel, any time you go to the dealer lock your glove box and keep the key blade with you. This will prevent them breaking your recirculate flap

If it’s plastic I wouldn’t be as worried about long term functional problems but at the end of the day they damaged your property through carelessness and poor quality work. They owe you something to make it right. The problem is a new shock only allows them more opportunities to screw things up.

I could swear the shields on my 2013 shocks were metal.. will have to double check.

Oh and if I haven’t given you my spiel, any time you go to the dealer lock your glove box and keep the key blade with you. This will prevent them breaking your recirculate flap

Thank you.

I agree they do owe me something to make it right.
That is my exact worry that they’ll mess some more stuff up if they try and replace them.
On another note, I just left the tire shop where they scratched 2 of my brand new HE Bronze rims. Lol!

I’m calling it a day. I need a beer. Or a couple. Cheers!

On another note, I just left the tire shop where they scratched 2 of my brand new HE Bronze rims. Lol!
:bang:

And I don’t use emojis often.

Thank you.

I agree they do owe me something to make it right.
That is my exact worry that they’ll mess some more stuff up if they try and replace them.

I’m calling it a day. I need a beer. Or a couple. Cheers!
This happened to me with the dedicated Toyota indy shop I got my spacers and tires done at. They used a metal putty knife to remove the old balancing weights and took two chunks out of the paint on the inner wheel.

They tried to tell me, "maybe it was already there" before I quickly pointed out the vehicle had 200 total miles on it.

I'm still looking for a decent color match paint to touch up my wheels.

For your shocks, I'd demand a full replacement from the dealer. Get the dealership General Manager involved if needed. This stuff is unacceptable.

Done! This should keep me happy until momma allows the Dobinsons MRR kit to go on lol.

1fsQtkB.jpg

VCKWg10.jpg

NC3hL3n.jpg

I had my dealer install onthe OEM front shock tower spacers along with a full set of Bilstein 4600 shocks. No lean! 1" height difference from front to back (F:36.5", R:37.5"). REF: No third seat, ARB drawer system, Slee sliders and 1/2 tank of fuel. Very pleased with the results.

IMG_20210626_071717499.jpg

IMG_20210626_071652336.jpg

IMG_20210626_071703774.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I bought mine from Findlay Toyota in Henderson NV and I think they could probably do it but I usually keep the truck at our place in New Mexico. Might have to give the Flagstaff dealer a call.

Thanks! I bought mine from Findlay Toyota in Henderson NV and I think they could probably do it but I usually keep the truck at our place in New Mexico. Might have to give the F

@7000ft . Did you install the Slee steps? Thats another item on my list I want to add.
No. I went up to SLEE in Golden,CO and they installed the sliders and ARB drawer system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom