OEM Front Coil Spacers Installed (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had the dealer do it in a day for not a lot of money. I feel it greatly improved the look… I had rear airbags installed for towing which raised the rear, so the spacers prevented even more rake than stock. As you say it’s not a huge difference…but I’ll bet your disappointment is from doing the work yourself.

...and you'd win that bet! lol

I DIY'd mine a few weeks ago and didn't think it was bad at all. I did not need to use a pry bar to remove or reinstall the struts just used brute strength. I do recall the passenger side was a little harder. I used this very helpful video as a guide that I found mentioned in this forum. He starts working on the front at about the 20 minute mark.

It took me about 3 maybe 4 hours max taking my time and most of that time was the tedious task of getting all the torque values correct. LCA are brutal and one or two clicks at a time unless you have a short torque wrench. I notice a difference and think it was worth the relatively low cost, less than $200 after parts and alignment and a few hours of time plus I learned a few things as this is my first 200 series.

As a point of comparison I also DIY'd bud built sliders installation and while I love the sliders I hope not to have to live through that install again. It took a lot longer than I expected for 10 bolts through the frame rails but at least I know it is done right.

Like most of this stuff your mileage may vary!

If you have installed lifts on IFS vehicles begotten this is no different. Couple hours and done. However the spacer really doesn't do much to be honest. It looks better but I would rather swap in a 2inch lift with new coins and springs if I'm that far in. But my wife likes the look, it's her ride so it's a win for me.

My dealer installed them in my 21 Heritage. Been from Des moines Iowa to Denver. Co many time and never an issue. It rides and look great. The photo is at dealer after install.

View attachment 2763040
Looks great. What tire and size are you running in this photo. I'm driving the exact same vehicle and the front end is way too low.

I think they are worth the effort if all you aim to do is run a 32 or 33. A true lift is certainly better but not everyone wants to go that far. Mine will keep me "content" until I get around to lifting it and building the rest of it out. We did require the assistance of a large pry bar on the passenger side when re-installing the coil over assembly.

UPDATE: Okay, so after putting Nitto Terra Grapplers, P285/65R18 (upsizing), I can honestly say that the spacer install was worth it. Given how close the tires are to the fender wells now, I can definitely see where that 3/4-1" can make a notable difference if one is planning to upsize the tires without doing a full lift.

I think they are worth the effort if all you aim to do is run a 32 or 33. A true lift is certainly better but not everyone wants to go that far. Mine will keep me "content" until I get around to lifting it and building the rest of it out.

This exactly. I ran the spacers for two years as I figured out what lift I wanted to run, and the whole time keeping the truck low was a priority due to having rolled a vehicle in the past.

And in that time I did a ton of miles and great trails.. if it weren’t for the occasional need for better high speed damping I’d probably still be on fresh stock struts/shocks and the spacers detailed in this thread.

This exactly. I ran the spacers for two years as I figured out what lift I wanted to run, and the whole time keeping the truck low was a priority due to having rolled a vehicle in the past.

And in that time I did a ton of miles and great trails.. if it weren’t for the occasional need for better high speed damping I’d probably still be on fresh stock struts/shocks and the spacers detailed in this thread.

My thoughts exactly. I'll certainly end up with King's or MRA's in the end because I ultimately want to run 34's or 35's, but for now these 33's do the job and give it just enough muscle to not look bone stock.

I spoke with a service writer today at the local Toyota dealership, he indicated that installing the spacer was a very laborious process and would cost just over $800 for just installation. One thing he was adamant about was that the springs needed to be compressed to get the spacer to fit on top of the 4 strut top bolts. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe a spring compressor is necessary. Needless to say I chose not to work with this shop.
IMG_9898.JPG

I spoke with a service writer today at the local Toyota dealership, he indicated that installing the spacer was a very laborious process and would cost just over $800 for just installation. One thing he was adamant about was that the springs needed to be compressed to get the spacer to fit on top of the 4 strut top bolts. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe a spring compressor is necessary. Needless to say I chose not to work with this shop.View attachment 2789144
Good choice. He's absolutely wrong.

I spoke with a service writer today at the local Toyota dealership, he indicated that installing the spacer was a very laborious process and would cost just over $800 for just installation. One thing he was adamant about was that the springs needed to be compressed to get the spacer to fit on top of the 4 strut top bolts. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't believe a spring compressor is necessary. Needless to say I chose not to work with this shop.View attachment 2789144
Quoted you the "we don't want to do this, but we will if you pay us enough" price

Quoted you the "we don't want to do this, but we will if you pay us enough" price
Yep.
Aka the “we don’t understand the vehicles we work on well enough to know what is involved here, but this price should be high enough to make it worth our time” price.

Wow, their lack of understanding is scary. Or like the others said, they simply didn't want to mess with it which is sad.

Well, all this talk has convinced me that I cannot assume dealer reps and techs are qualified and will be careful with my expensive truck. In my case there are plenty of warning signs and personal experience not to trust my local Toyota dealer with the task. I just called and cancelled the service appointment I had scheduled, which is a bummer because personal wrenching time is not plentiful these days. Have all the good mechanics and managers retired or something? I don’t remember it being this bad years ago.

Well, all this talk has convinced me that I cannot assume dealer reps and techs are qualified and will be careful with my expensive truck. In my case there are plenty of warning signs and personal experience not to trust my local Toyota dealer with the task. I just called and cancelled the service appointment I had scheduled, which is a bummer because personal wrenching time is not plentiful these days. Have all the good mechanics and managers retired or something? I don’t remember it being this bad years ago.
Post in your local clubhouse section asking for good techs, and be open to some of them being at lexus dealers. Even if the majority of club cruisers are older and don’t go to the dealer for work, many of us tend to have other Toyota’s that may be newer.

Word of mouth is IMO the best way to find a good mechanic. You see occasional stories here about fantastic experiences with specific techs, but can’t assume that is what you’ll get when you bring your truck in for work. Maybe try searching for your city in this forum section to see what comes up.

This varies by area. Two local Toyota dealers have been great for me. 30 year master tech knows LC’s at my dealer. $38 synthetic oil changes as well. No issues with OEM spacers installed at a reasonable price. If you can find a local mechanic then great, but don’t assume all Toyota service centers don’t know what they’re doing based on occasional stories like the one above.

This varies by area. Two local Toyota dealers have been great for me. 30 year master tech knows LC’s at my dealer. $38 synthetic oil changes as well. No issues with OEM spacers installed at a reasonable price. If you can find a local mechanic then great, but don’t assume all Toyota service centers don’t know what they’re doing based on occasional stories like the one above.
I would say they are more than occasional, and even then not reported as often as bad service is delivered. The fact is most people don't even know when they got sub-par work done.. and this is what allows the bad techs and SA's to survive. Plus those $38 synthetic oil changes usually aren't done by 30-yr techs and likely to result in a broken AC recirc flap if you don't take extra steps to prevent it. Every one is a roll of the dice with regard to missing skid plate bolts or parts, overtightened oil filter housings, etc.

Not that awesome techs aren't out there.. but it is unwise to assume that is who you'll get when you bring your vehicle in to a random toyota service center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom