OEM Front Coil Spacers Installed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been on the fence about adding the OEM coil spacers since I bought my 200 back in March. There was a mild rake on the cruiser but not terrible and I just wasn't sure a 1" lift up front would be worth the cost of the spacers plus labor to install. I ended up having the spacers installed about 3 weeks ago and am very pleased with the results - the stance is noticeably more aggressive and much more level.

I realize this mod has been done by a ton of guys on the forum but there aren't many pictures of 2016+ models with OEM spacers so hopefully some will find this helpful. For reference the tires are 275/70/R18's, ground to fender measurements now are about 36.5" front/rear on the driver's side and 37" front/rear on the passenger side (gotta love the cruiser lean!). Ride quality has not been affected adversely at all. Not sure the pics do the new look much justice, but in person it is an obvious improvement!

iPKbpzC.jpg

ohxBbUx.jpg

2aqPXaC.jpg

g9FOpu6.jpg

Looks great! However, I thought the newer 200's had this already...is this new new additive to that? Meaning, if I added the spacer to my '10, would I still be lower than yours in the front (but higher than stock)?

Thanks!

Clay

Looks great! However, I thought the newer 200's had this already...is this new new additive to that? Meaning, if I added the spacer to my '10, would I still be lower than yours in the front (but higher than stock)?

Thanks!

Clay

Thank you! My understanding is that none of the 200s come with this spacer installed, mine certainly didn't have it. You can look at the amount of exposed thread on the 3 bolts at the top of the stock coilover assembly to determine if the spacers have been installed - there are only about 2 threads left once the spacers have been installed, while there is closer to a half inch of thread exposed if they are not. There are some excellent pictures comparing the difference in another thread about the OEM coil spacers.

In regard to height, I do think the newer 200s come more level from the factory than the older ones but I've never measured the actual difference in fender height. If that is true, it's not due to the newer 200s having the spacer already installed but some other difference in the front suspension setup.

Thanks!

How much do they get for the install? 3-4 hours?

That's correct, I think I was charged for 3 hours of labor plus an alignment. I let my local Toyota dealership do it since I know those guys well and there's not another shop in the area I trust with the KDSS - wasn't cheap but I've got the satisfaction of knowing it was done correctly!

Ran across this post by accident and am thrilled to see that an OEM spacer option exists. I have a '13 with 87,000 miles that I purchased with 43,750 miles about 16 months ago. It came with a new set of highway tires that have served me well but will need replacing in the next 5-10k miles. I've begun looking at tire options already, which (you know how this goes) has me casually looking at doing a lift etc. I'm glad to have this as an option. The spacer....other pics anyone can post with them installed?

Any issues with rubbing? @tarheel40

I have a 2016 as well and looking to put on new tires. I'd like to duplicate what you have by keeping the factory rims.

Ran across this post by accident and am thrilled to see that an OEM spacer option exists. I have a '13 with 87,000 miles that I purchased with 43,750 miles about 16 months ago. It came with a new set of highway tires that have served me well but will need replacing in the next 5-10k miles. I've begun looking at tire options already, which (you know how this goes) has me casually looking at doing a lift etc. I'm glad to have this as an option. The spacer....other pics anyone can post with them installed?

Stock suspension with the OEM spacers on my 08:

27432704209_1ac5a71ec2_k.jpg

38332372865_fc20e8a43c_k.jpg

How are those tires treating you? They definitely look bigger than stock and the fronts (from looking at the pics) look like there's a lot of rubbing. If so, what did you do to alleviate? Trim?

Are you happy w/the spacers or do you wish you'd have done a lift/level? The rake looks more pronounced than the OP with the newer model year. Thanks in advance for your reply!

How are those tires treating you? They definitely look bigger than stock and the fronts (from looking at the pics) look like there's a lot of rubbing. If so, what did you do to alleviate? Trim?

Are you happy w/the spacers or do you wish you'd have done a lift/level? The rake looks more pronounced than the OP with the newer model year. Thanks in advance for your reply!

The tires are Cooper AT3s rebranded by Pepboys as Adventurer ATs in 275/70r18 - 33". Black friday special for all 5 out the door for $710.

These are about the largest you can go without rubbing - these clear all the components - no trimming needed.

The AT3s are a good compromise for the 200 as I intend to use it - quiet, competent in dirt and E rated. My 80 with the ST Maxx has the edge off road to be sure.

The side profile shot may be a little off camber - the rear is about level with the front now.

I find a 33" tire and a mild lift to be ideal for Cruisers in general - keeps the COG reasonable, preserves on road handling and works well off road. I'm happy - no regrets especially considering it was $350 total w/ the alignment, labor and parts.

The first 2 shots below are pre-spacer install for reference and my 80 also on 33's (255/85/16). The one by the lake is post install.

Pre:
38788211802_f5dd91851b_k.jpg

38607786956_aa9de69955_k.jpg

24346891787_123bc36aa3_k.jpg

Holy cow at the tire deal! Amazing. Thanks for the feedback on the tire size. I won't be wheeling at all. I do want a more aggressive tire though, despite 99.9% pavement miles. I had Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on a 4Runner and they were a tad louder than I'd like. My preference would be to stay D load if possible, but am not averse to E. Do they ride like s*** or do you like them? I don't tow anything or carry heavy loads. Lastly, are they spacers universal for each side or are they side-specific?

Holy cow at the tire deal! Amazing. Thanks for the feedback on the tire size. I won't be wheeling at all. I do want a more aggressive tire though, despite 99.9% pavement miles. I had Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on a 4Runner and they were a tad louder than I'd like. My preference would be to stay D load if possible, but am not averse to E. Do they ride like s*** or do you like them? I don't tow anything or carry heavy loads. Lastly, are they spacers universal for each side or are they side-specific?

They exceeded my expectations - not P-rated smooth but damn close compared to heavier E rated tires - very quiet. You won't find a D rated tire in 275/70r18 to my knowledge. Spacers are not side specific.

37825118735_25076006ec_k.jpg

Did you get the tires AND the spacers installed at the same time? I'm wondering if installed at different times, i.e. the tires first, if you noticed any change in overall ride quality by installing the spacers. I know the general consensus is to level with suspension over spacers/leveling kits/blocks, etc. When I had the 4Runner, I purchased it used with leaky shocks, so it was a no-brainer to spend the money on aftermarket replacements. As my current shocks are in good shape, I'm leaning towards this option as I want to maximize tire size during my upcoming purchase. Again, thanks for your feedback as it's been hugely helpful!

Can someone explain to me the OEM spacer thing? Is it done for aesthetics or handling purposes? I understand it lessens the rake but not sure what rake does to the vehicle?

I have one if these spacers and will be installing coilovers soon but was planning on leaving everything stock height for sportier handling purposes. I didn't know if spacer improves anything? I dont care for looks but I care alot for handling. I never tow anything.

Any issues with rubbing? @tarheel40

I have a 2016 as well and looking to put on new tires. I'd like to duplicate what you have by keeping the factory rims.

I had the tires mounted this summer and the spacers have been on almost 2 months, no issues with rubbing at stock height or with the spacers installed.

Can someone explain to me the OEM spacer thing? Is it done for aesthetics or handling purposes? I understand it lessens the rake but not sure what rake does to the vehicle?

I have one if these spacers and will be installing coilovers soon but was planning on leaving everything stock height for sportier handling purposes. I didn't know if spacer improves anything? I dont care for looks but I care alot for handling. I never tow anything.

The OEM spacers lift the front of the vehicle 1”, which gives a little more clearance for larger tires and makes the stance of the vehicle slightly more aggressive. My experience so far is that the handling has not been affected either positively or negatively. I think it is safe to say the vast majority who install the spacers do it for aesthetic reasons.

Did you get the tires AND the spacers installed at the same time? I'm wondering if installed at different times, i.e. the tires first, if you noticed any change in overall ride quality by installing the spacers. I know the general consensus is to level with suspension over spacers/leveling kits/blocks, etc. When I had the 4Runner, I purchased it used with leaky shocks, so it was a no-brainer to spend the money on aftermarket replacements. As my current shocks are in good shape, I'm leaning towards this option as I want to maximize tire size during my upcoming purchase. Again, thanks for your feedback as it's been hugely helpful!

I had the tires installed first, drove the truck for a few weeks and then added the spacers. The suspension was overhauled with OEM Tokico shocks about 15K miles ago. No difference in ride quality - the only change is that I needed to reaim the headlights. The spacers are installed from the factory on 200s in other markets.

Rake provides a cushion for a rear load. FWIW I intend to put airbags in the rear for load leveling when towing or hauling a motorcycle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom