LX570 preload coil spacers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for 20mm front proload spring spacers. Westcott would be a good option if my goal was to achieve a higher lift or needed the additional preload, but I don't.

Concept:

BLUF: level LX570 with a 1-2 inch lift with OEM suspension characteristics.

Front
Add 20mm front preload spacer, adjust the front AHC sensors to normalize the spring pressure/length.
Replace bump stop, add 20mm spacer

Rear
Add 10mm spacer to spring coil
(Would be cool to find a 10mm shock extension; however, I think the space available at the bottom end of the shock isn't there. Maybe at the top if the AHC line will clear the mounting brackets) E&E has a product but it's for long travel applications.
Bump stops to accommodate to shock stroke

For future load management, I'll toy around with durashock's product. It's priced low enough to mess around with.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've check, what seems to be, everywhere, but couldn't find something that suits this application.

I'm having a little trouble understanding your goal--you're just trying to get a small lift while maintaining stock-like AHC utility?

If so, basically follow the recipes laid out in the AHC long-travel thread (which it sounds like you have already read), then adjust your sensors to the desired lift height. If maxed out stock sensors don't work, you can use techstream to lift a little more, or you can make simple brackets to extend the stock sensor arms.

Front spacers (either Wescott preload spacers, stacked OEM strut spacers, or aftermarket strut spacers) will essentially space down the struts so that you'll maintain stock ACH pressures at a higher baseline ride height. E&E offroad rear lower shock mount will accomplish the same thing in the rear. I know your goal isn't specifically "long travel suspension" but the process is basically the same whether you're looking for extended suspension droop or just a modest lift with stock-like AHC pressures.

That's my $0.02, anyway.

If you have not read this yet, start here:

Last edited:
I'm having a little trouble understanding your goal--you're just trying to get a small lift while maintaining stock-like AHC utility?

If so, basically follow the recipes laid out in the AHC long-travel thread (which it sounds like you have already read), then adjust your sensors to the desired lift height. If maxed out stock sensors don't work, you can use techstream to lift a little more, or you can make simple brackets to extend the stock sensor arms.

Front spacers (either Wescott preload spacers, stacked OEM strut spacers, or aftermarket strut spacers) will essentially space down the struts so that you'll maintain stock ACH pressures at a higher baseline ride height. E&E offroad rear lower shock mount will accomplish the same thing in the rear. I know your goal isn't specifically "long travel suspension" but the process is basically the same whether you're looking for extended suspension droop or just a modest lift with stock-like AHC pressures.

That's my $0.02, anyway.

If you have not read this yet, start here:

Heckraiser,

I appreciate your input. I've reviewed the long travel thread in the past and I'm familiar with the concepts you presented. I just wanted to know if there were any other options without committing to a long travel solution.

Again, I appreciate it and have a good one.

Heckraiser,

I appreciate your input. I've reviewed the long travel thread in the past and I'm familiar with the concepts you presented. I just wanted to know if there were any other options without committing to a long travel solution.

Again, I appreciate it and have a good one.

Not sure what you mean, the steps are the same. You need to depressurize the front AHC shocks, pull the springs and insert a coil spacer and adjust the sensors. Are you referring to other steps?

What is "BLUF"?

To @tbisaacs point, to add spacers on AHC suspension you'll still be following the same depressurization and installation steps in the long travel thread, just without the specific long travel modifications. There isn't a simpler way to do it correctly and maintain the right travel and droop/bump.

What is "BLUF"?

To @tbisaacs point, to add spacers on AHC suspension you'll still be following the same depressurization and installation steps in the long travel thread, just without the specific long travel modifications. There isn't a simpler way to do it correctly and maintain the right travel and droop/bump.
BLUF = bottom line up front

Consider me confused as well what you're asking. You want a coil spacer but not additional ride height?

What is "BLUF"?

Thank you for your response.

Totally got all that. It's not a how issue. From the Initial post, "I'm looking for 20mm front proload spring spacers."

Do they exist?

If you're not into the Wescott design, @Killacaviar used some 20mm(ish?) tundra top-hat spacers acquired from ebay I believe. All the details are in the Long Travel AHC thread, you'll just have to keep reading to find it.

If you're not into the Wescott design, @Killacaviar used some 20mm(ish?) tundra top-hat spacers acquired from ebay I believe. All the details are in the Long Travel AHC thread, you'll just have to keep reading to find it.

The Westcott design product has the correct function in mind; however, it's too much for my application. The strut spacers, that go on the top of the strut/top-hat, is a known method, but doesn't suit my intended application. I'm ok with "Hardpine, what you're looking for is not on the market" discussions. With that information I can make adjustments to how I go about executing a mild lift or finding a fabrication solution.

I guess I'm having trouble understanding how any one of these solutions would not work for your intended purpose.

There are multiple ways to skin this cat, but it seems to me any one of them should accomplish the goal. With a basic understanding of how the AHC works, whether you use a preload spacer like wescott (i.e. between the top hat and the spring) or a top hat spacer (between the top hat and the frame mount), either one will reduce the load on the AHC system to maintain pressures at a given lift height. The springs only handle a little bit of the load carrying duty with AHC, so if you're looking for a preload spacer specifically for the spring rate effect, it's really not necessary. A top hat spacer will reduce the load on AHC components just like a preload spacer would. Some folks choose to use a preload spacer, but there's really not much functional difference with AHC. And as you say, if you want to tweak "spring rates" later on, easy enough to play around with spring rubbers. But if you're looking for OEM suspension characteristics, you wont need it. Most just use them for heavier loads like bumpers/winches etc.

Last edited:
I guess I'm having trouble understanding how any one of these solutions would not work for your intended purpose.

There are multiple ways to skin this cat, but it seems to me any one of them should accomplish the goal. With a basic understanding of how the AHC works, whether you use a preload spacer like wescott (i.e. between the top hat and the spring) or a top hat spacer (between the top hat and the frame mount), either one will reduce the load on the AHC system to maintain pressures at a given lift height. The springs only handle a little bit of the load carrying duty with AHC, so if you're looking for a preload spacer specifically for the spring rate effect, it's really not necessary. A top hat spacer will reduce the load on AHC components just like a preload spacer would. Some folks choose to use a preload spacer, but there's really not much functional difference with AHC. And as you say, if you want to tweak "spring rates" later on, easy enough to play around with spring rubbers. But if you're looking for OEM suspension characteristics, you wont need it.

You're totally understanding. Adding preload, then sensor lifting= same spring rate. (basically) I'm trying to maintain the current values throughout the system. The AHC will need more fluid to accommodate the extra length required within each shock, but the pressures shouldn't be off by much. The shock travel is mitigated by the size of the preload spacer used. Heck, this can even be achieved by replacing the springs with a spring rate and sensor lifting to "unload" the springs in order to mimic OEM spring rating.

Lifting this truck isn't difficult. Maintaining OEM thresholds/system balance is a different matter.

Thank you for staying engaged. The AHC knowledge factor isn't the purpose of the thread. I just wanted to know if a product existed that meets my requirement. It looks like there isn't.

There's several concepts here that are being conflated and perhaps mis-understood. The answer you're proposing may not result in what you seek. Rather, using a spacer on top of the coil spacer will be the answer that gives you the most OEM like characteristics.

Actually, and perhaps stating the obvious, lifting AHC 1-2" while preserving ride quality doesn't require any spacers at all. Just a sensor lift. The spacers are there to preserve AHC system pressure and maintain margin to handle load.

It should be noted that changing pre-load (via an in-coil spacer) does not change spring rate. It changes the force at which the coilover will start to respond. i.e. it will require more initial force to compress the coilover. This actually has the potential to dramatically reduce ride quality especially with small bump compliance. The hydraulic portion of AHC will likely smooth things out enough, but classically, significant preload is bad tuning for any coilover.

Sorry that it's not the answer you have in mind, but an above coil spacer is the right answer. Perhaps as a bonus is that it extends front suspension travel, which honestly is just as important to ensuring sufficient downtravel. Especially in high mode as otherwise it becomes a stiff legged vehicle on stilts that lifts tires.

Adding a top hat spacer to an AHC system…adds preload.

I don’t know why someone would preload the spring on the coilover, when a proper spacer does the same thing and provides more down travel.

Especially if you lose or modify your sway bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom