Advice on whether I should buy a Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So far so good. Getting high off fumes tho, definitely an exhaust leak somewhere, that’s partly what those acceleration noises are I think. Rolling window down seemed to make it worse, stopping at gas stations to get breatherS. Doing drive in two days, stopping tonight. Would Blasting AC or heat on recirculating or fresh help? I was fine for the first hour and a half. Would a gas mask help?

image.jpg

This is exactly something I would have done at 23 too.....and I'm having a heart attack over it. Will be happy to hear you've made it home safely.
I concur. I did the same thing 2 years ago when I was 43 though. However I'm a little more comfortable behind a wrench than the protagonist of this story so I've got all my fingers crossed.

I concur. I did the same thing 2 years ago when I was 43 though. However I'm a little more comfortable behind a wrench than the protagonist of this story so I've got all my fingers crossed.
Oh I’ll be fine sheesh. But If you see a lifted fj pass by going 35 with all windows down and a driver wearing Soviet grade gas mask you’ll know who you passed! 😅😂

Hope you aren't Mud'n and driving, but is your rear weather strip shot on the tail/lift gate? You can get some bad fumes from that.

Oh I’ll be fine sheesh. But If you see a lifted fj pass by going 35 with all windows down and a driver wearing Soviet grade gas mask you’ll know who you passed! 😅😂
Hope you aren't Mud'n and driving, but is your rear weather strip shot on the tail/lift gate? You can get some bad fumes from that.
You mean the back hatch? Haven’t checked, it’s possible. I think the exhaust and gas smell is from the front tho.

You mean the back hatch? Haven’t checked, it’s possible. I think the exhaust and gas smell is from the front tho.
F50971D6-AC1D-4B9B-85E2-C14C73FDA322.jpeg

Made it to ely without any hiccups, this things a beast!!!!Story time is next post but for now, I’ve got a burning question no pun intended: I’m using thinner oil and put a quart in of the same kind and checking it hot it was still at the low line, yet the just did an oil change and when I looked when engine was cold in Vegas Yesterday it was halfway (Seth can verify😂). I checked an hour out of Vegas today and it said low ( hot check). I’m burning oil btb said but they just did all the seals and am not leaking it. Like I said added a quart of the same type when I was an hour out of vegas, hot measurements I got were all low after that still and did no cold measurements like Engine sounded how it normally does, wasn’t noticeably hot after the 8 hour marathon Today. should I just check cold from now on or am I actually low?

View attachment 2572824
Made it to ely without any hiccups, this things a beast. Story time is next post, I’ve got a burning question no pun intended: I’m using thinner oil and put a quart in of the same kind and checking it hot it was still at the low line, yet the just did an oil change and when I looked when engine was cold in Vegas Yesterday it
View attachment 2572824
Made it to ely without any hiccups, this things a beast!!!!Story time is next post but for now, I’ve got a burning question no pun intended: I’m using thinner oil and put a quart in of the same kind and checking it hot it was still at the low line, yet the just did an oil change and when I looked when engine was cold in Vegas Yesterday it was halfway (Seth can verify😂). I checked an hour out of Vegas today and it said low ( hot check). I’m burning oil btb said but they just did all the seals and am not leaking it. Like I said added a quart of the same type when I was an hour out of vegas, hot measurements I got were all low after that still and did no cold measurements like Engine sounded how it normally does, wasn’t noticeably hot after the 8 hour marathon Today. should I just check cold from now on or am I actually low?

was halfway (Seth can verify😂). I checked an hour out of Vegas today and it said low ( hot check). I’m burning oil btb said but they just did all the seals and am not leaking it. Like I said added a quart of the same type when I was an hour out of vegas, hot measurements I got were all low. Engine sounded how it normally does, should I just check cold from now on?
Prelude to the story: why doesn’t everyone guess what elevation this pic was taken at tonight:
DB98EAE3-0F82-42B0-99D5-806ECB1020AC.jpeg

When you check the oil, do it consistently - like 20 minutes after a hot shutdown, or stone cold the next morning. Some trucks can give erratic measurements at different times in the driving cycle. If you're in the middle of a road trip, you obviously have to check it hot, at gas stations, but after you get home, you can get a better handle on burn rates. Also, for long highway trips, bump up the oil weight a bit. And remember that the distance beween the low and full line is 1.8 quarts on an FJ60, IIRC. On many vehicles, it's 1 quart.

I’d guess 4’8”AGL based on the presumption of saggy seat foam.
try using something other than a potato for pix
I’d guess 4’8”AGL based on the presumption of saggy seat foam.
Prelude to the story: why doesn’t everyone guess what elevation this pic was taken at tonight:View attachment 2572829

Was a little high off fumes when I took the chaotic pic! The story is I took a wrong turn that added about an hour; realized too late, whoever said they were about to have a heart attack nows the time cause it gets worse. Couldn’t have been a more abandoned piece of highway, night had settled in, back window rolled all the way, freezing my ass of with no heater to prevent me from keeling over at the wheel. (The heater actually worked but blasted me with fumes so had to keep it off). I threw on an ushanka and I kept telling the rig to keep going and that I really relied on her now. But basically this 5 hour marathon gradually climbs higher and higher until we reach the base of behemoth summit. The cruiser starts lowering its speed and I kick it into third gear, I’m going 30 up these windy steep roads almost doubting that it could give out at any minute. It kept going, and I suspected we might be pretty high up but then saw the sign that I missed in the Grainy picture: “COOPER SUMMIT ELEVATION: 7800ft”. Holy s***!! I couldn’t believe it,even with my original eff up it just kept going, It lived its whole life at sea level and did that. I cruised down the summit to 6600 feet where I stayed last night. The tales and legends of the 60 are true and I was experiencing it right before me, An engine only partially overhauled 15 years ago and the original untouched carb and systems. I could barely move my frozen hands but couldn’t have been happier. More today, more marathons but will never forget that😅😃

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom