Advice on whether I should buy a Land Cruiser (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My advice was to pull and plug the two vac lines to the distributor. If it still pings then stop somewhere and see if they can verify base timing is set to 7 deg

He said it’s not dieseling so that’s a plus. I suspect it’s got a lot of small vac leaks and gasket issues on the intake/exhaust. In other words normal for an old cruiser that hasn’t been babied it’s whole life.

Last edited:
Truck problems aside, please make sure you have supplies (food, water, warmth) with you in case of a remote breakdown. Tell someone where you’re planning to be and when and ask them to call in support if you’re more than a couple of hours late. The drive sounds like a fun adventure and odds are that the truck will make it, just don’t bet your personal safety on it.

Do you get a “woosh” when you open the gas cap after driving? If so, you might solve that and the fuel smell by swapping the lines on the charcoal canister (large can on the passenger side of the engine with two hoses going into the top).

We FaceTimed about 30 minutes ago. He has some coolant in the overflow container but I suggested he pkck up a gallon of 50/50 coolant ready to go and top off the overflow. He couldn’t get the rad cap off. He said he isnt getting hot heat out the vents so I’m wondering if there is a t stat issue or a bad gasket on top of t stat. Truck has all its smog equipment on it still. Pretty well stock looking in the engine bay.

wires were new as were plugs but I don’t know which plugs were used or what the condition of the cap and rotor are.

truck has 33”s on it so that’s certainly not helping a pinging on hills problem.

We FaceTimed about 30 minutes ago. He has some coolant in the overflow container but I suggested he pkck up a gallon of 50/50 coolant ready to go and top off the overflow. He couldn’t get the rad cap off. He said he isnt getting hot heat out the vents so I’m wondering if there is a t stat issue or a bad gasket on top of t stat. Truck has all its smog equipment on it still. Pretty well stock looking in the engine bay.

wires were new as were plugs but I don’t know which plugs were used or what the condition of the cap and rotor are.

truck has 33”s on it so that’s certainly not helping a pinging on hills problem.
Is the radiator getting hot?

He might need to burp the cooling system

@Beehanger does your rear heater (under the passenger seat) blow hot? If so then your coolant is likely fine and it’s your heater core that’s blocked up, which isn’t a big deal except that you’ll be chilly.

He just told me he heard water noise in the dash. @MoaByte i think you are correct and there is air in the cooling system. I used to get gurgling noises in my dash when I started up. Took a while but eventually worked the air out and got enough coolant in.

He also says the top rad hose is hot and the bottom is cold. Could be air, could be a collapsed hose, could be t stat problem, could be flow issue.

OR the radiator is working really well and cooling all the coolant off before it leaves the rad. But it should t be cold to the touch

72383-Lost-in-desert--by-christian-hartmann.jpg

Since you said you found someone with LC experience in Vegas I figured I'd post a few things from my computer:

1. Spark plugs. Pull the plugs and see what brand they are and also check what the spark plug gap is set to.

- The gap should be .031 inches
- Brand wise I try to stick to Nippondenso or NGK.
-Nippondenso W14EXR-U
-NGK BPR4EY

1612059449335.png

2. Pinging or is it?
- I would approach this in the following steps
- After you check the plugs and the gap....initially regardless of the brand make sure the gap is set to .031" on all the plugs. If its some no name or other brand then see if you can find the Nippo or NGK brand in town and swap them out

- After the plugs check the that the base timing is set to 7 degrees when at idle, vac advance plugged, engine at temperature and idling. If its set higher than 7 degrees then dial it back to 7

- Try swapping the vacuum lines on the advance actuator on the side of the distributor (you'll want to go out and get the truck warm and then accelerate mid to hard in 4th to see if each change made any difference. If no noticeable change by swapping the vac lines then.....

- Disconnect and plug or clamp off both vac lines so you effectively disable the advancer unit. Disconnecting and blocking the lines or pinching the lines is the most surefire way to be sure the advance is disabled. Test drive the truck again.

if by doing these things nothing changes in the sound you are hearing...then either its not pinging or there is some other internal engine issue driving the problem. things like carbon building in the combustion chamber, maybe too lean of a mixture (not enough fuel), or if they resurfaced the head and took a lot of material off it might have raised the compression ratio enough to cause issues when combined with other factors.

3 Coolant, engine temp, lack of heat:

- I would get a new radiator cap and when you get your old one off try to add coolant to the radiator fill tube IF you don's see coolant up to the neck already. If it does need to be topped off be aware of how much you have to add.

- Thermostat. See if you can get a Thermostat from a local yota dealer and make sure it has the top gasket. it will look like this when you put the new one in, note the orientation because i think its possible to put it in upside down.

1612060340618.png

Welcome to your engine bay:

1612060725788.png

See @ToyotaMatt post below @ToyotaMatt ?

Last edited:
Since you said you found someone with LC experience in Vegas I figured I'd post a few things from my computer:

1. Spark plugs. Pull the plugs and see what brand they are and also check what the spark plug gap is set to.

-Nippondenso W14EXR-U
-NGK BPR4EY

View attachment 2570440

2. Pinging or is it?
- After you check the plugs and the gap....initially regardless of the brand make sure the gap is set to .031" on all the plugs. If its some no name or other brand then see if you can find the Nippo or NGK brand in town and swap them out

- After the plugs check the that the base timing is set to 7 degrees when at idle, vac advance plugged, engine at temperature and idling. If its set higher than 7 degrees then dial it back to 7

- Try swapping the vacuum lines on the advance actuator on the side of the distributor (you'll want to go out and get the truck warm and then accelerate mid to hard in 4th to see if each change made any difference. If no noticeable change by swapping the vac lines then.....

- Disconnect and plug or clamp off both vac lines so you effectively disable the advancer unit. Disconnecting and blocking the lines or pinching the lines is the most surefire way to be sure the advance is disabled. Test drive the truck again.

if by doing these things nothing changes in the sound you are hearing...then either its not pinging or there is some other internal engine issue driving the problem. things like carbon building in the combustion chamber, maybe too lean of a mixture (not enough fuel), or if they resurfaced the head and took a lot of material off it might have raised the compression ratio enough to cause issues when combined with other factors.

- I would get a new radiator cap and when you get your old one off try to add coolant to the radiator fill tube IF you don's see coolant up to the neck already. If it does need to be topped off be aware of how much you have to add.

- Thermostat. See if you can get a Thermostat from a local yota dealer and make sure it has the top gasket. it will look like this when you put the new one in, not the orientation because i think its possible to put it in upside down.

View attachment 2570477

View attachment 2570486

View attachment 2570490 This the correct one @ToyotaMatt ?

no , its NOT

Toyota cheapen out o the land cruiser crowd big time here

take note 100 % of all the Toyota oem caps i offer have the ND logo stamped into the metal usually the LH side , this is a FAR superior cap actually made in japan by NipponaDenso

1612061701124.png

1612061739105.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. I’ll delete that photo so as not to propagate incorrect info

no seth

leave it as is 41021 is listed by Toyota as the correct cap #

this way folks get the whole story and make there judgment call for them selves

do you follow me here ?

knowlage is power ! !

-Nippondenso W14EXR-U
-NGK BPR4EY

View attachment 2570440

2. Pinging or is it?

- Thermostat. See if you can get a Thermostat from a local yota dealer and make sure it has the top gasket. it will look like this when you put the new one in, note the orientation because i think its possible to put it in upside down.

View attachment 2570477

View attachment 2570486

See @ToyotaMatt post below @ToyotaMatt ?

Thanks Seth,
Yeah quick update, day two in Vegas, was planning on being in Idaho but went with my gut and good advice and am having a guy look at it tomorrow, he’ll have a day or two to work on it but gotta be home before work Wednesday afternoon (luckily had people pull through to cover me at work). Had help from mudders on this thread over the phone, trying to pinpoint issues, we will see what the guy says tmmorrow he works out of his house, never met him but it’s a shot in the dark i heard he worked on these things a lot and is fair price wise and doesn’t have gambling issues like apparently some other mehcnsjcs in Vegas that affects how they bill people (what I’ve heard) ALTHOUGH I’m always open to plan B’s as it seemed like a yes but not a definite one, but would need someone who can work on Sunday (tomorrow) and Manafre is closed Sunday. Shops also charge a lot more especially here (spoke to a retired LC mechanic outside An autozone who introduced me to the mechanic I’m seeing tomorrow , very genuine person, following gut, got lucky to meet him) . But like I said nothing is certain so Any fj60 Vegas mudders who can help or know if a Sunday 60 mechanic against all odds I may need you!
Thanks all,
Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom