What did you do on your 70 series today? (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The speedo is not backlit, the light is reflected in around the edges. I had to recalibrate after my axle swap, Made up a pie chart in Excel to get the graduations right, pasted that into MS paint & added the numbers etc. Printed it & glued it on. Not factory but good enough.

i-MLWsXrN-S.jpg

Cheers
Clint
I think your calibration is off. I’m fairly sure OMG comes right after 120. 😊

Not sure about the later clusters, but can confirm that the early 70 series ones are lit from the side/ambiently. On my cluster those bulbs are coated in a green film.

However, I think you might want to use a paint/ink that has good reflective qualities- ie not light absorbing.

I'd be interested in the magnetic overlay if a few of those are being made. Obviously a lot of us run different size tires and whatnot, but a general idea would be nice. I know that where 100 kmph should equal 60 mph, for me its closer to 70 mph on 33's and 4.11's.

I tend to just have a GPS speedo app running if I'm on the highway- but if I need to run a maps then its tough.

The speedo is not backlit, the light is reflected in around the edges. I had to recalibrate after my axle swap, Made up a pie chart in Excel to get the graduations right, pasted that into MS paint & added the numbers etc. Printed it & glued it on. Not factory but good enough.

i-MLWsXrN-S.jpg

Cheers
Clint

What a great idea this is.....totally forgot that these are ambient lit. Might be hard to have backlit metal faces. Ha.

What a great idea this is.....totally forgot that these are ambient lit. Might be hard to have backlit metal faces. Ha.

Sorry I misunderstood your question about lighting earlier. Didn’t realize you meant you were asking about light passing through the gauge.

Since my gauges are such a hodgepodge of some 80 series, some 70 series....I think mine have both backlit and ambient. Pretty sure my FZJ80 speedo is plastic and the light comes thru it. Frankenstein gauges.

Maybe someday you will be able to buy one from a dealer in the US...:hmm:

View attachment 2449144

Or not.
I'd love to see them Change the 25 year or older rule for import exemptions to say 15 years. 1995 is still a fairly modern vehicle that does most everything I want but doesn't have anything I don't need or do anything I don't want. There is also tremendous economic value in driving a vehicle that is no longer depreciating, but is unique enough to be going up in value and getting compliments from people when you drive it.

I'd love to see them Change the 25 year or older rule for import exemptions to say 15 years. 1995 is still a fairly modern vehicle that does most everything I want but doesn't have anything I don't need or do anything I don't want. There is also tremendous economic value in driving a vehicle that is no longer depreciating, but is unique enough to be going up in value and getting compliments from people when you drive it.

Lobby your lawmakers. That's the only chance you have. You will fail miserably, but you tried.

I hear ya and would love to see the rules relaxed as well. On the other hand, it's great to at least be able to bring in 25+ yo vehicles relatively easily. I'm more concerned that the rules will tighten one day.

I hear ya and would love to see the rules relaxed as well. On the other hand, it's great to at least be able to bring in 25+ yo vehicles relatively easily. I'm more concerned that the rules will tighten one day.
About 3 years ago it "clicked" for me that 25 years ago was the 1990's, 1990's cars are fairly modern, I don't like cars with a computer that controls things or were built to provide revenue for dealer service departments, 1990's cars are fairly well built and car makers pretty much had anti rust coatings figured out by this point so the thin sheet metal was not rusting out as bad as 70's/early 80's vehicles. I enjoy my BJ73. I appreciate it's simplicity, and rugged engineering. I like it's small size off road. I like that I can clean the inside with garden hose as well as the outside without fear of damaging electric gadgets. Road noise and lack of power on the highway at speeds over 100K sometimes make me think I might have been better off with a HDJ80. Some day I'll drive one and maybe make the switch............Today I'm going to try to find some type of weatherstriping for the right rear door to keep the diesel exhaust smell out of the cabin. Since intercooling and turning in the fuel screw another 3/4 turn it's a bit smoky for me.

I'm more concerned that the rules will tighten one day.

They probably will starting with anything diesel powered followed by gas powered. The next 10 years will probably bring on a lot of changes.

Not what most of us want to hear or read.

They probably will starting with anything diesel powered followed by gas powered. The next 10 years will probably bring on a lot of changes.

Not what most of us want to hear or read.
The thing to worry or watch for is the carmakers is working with the government and creating some type of scam about global warming being caused by vehicle pollution in order to pass laws that require people to buy their "newer cleaner vehicles"......................Totally counter to this and a direction that would be great for the US would be to deregulate/exempt vehicles converted to burn natural gas from EPA regulations that outlaw tampering with emissions control system of vehicles less than 10 years old. The regulations make it impossible for a small business to legally convert newer vehicles to burn CNG and make any profit. We have an abundance of clean burning natural gas here in America. It cost 1/4-1/3 the cost of gasoline. It has an Octane rating of 130(Imagine the increased performance and efficiency that could be obtained with high boost turbo applications). Diesel engines can burn natural gas as well.

notice any difference with the Bilsteins?

For sure. the Bilstein are much less harsh over bumps. They seem to absorb everything much smoother. I haven't done the fronts yet, but they are on the very soon list. Once I get all the shocks on, I'll have a better feel of the whole system.

The thing to worry or watch for is the carmakers is working with the government and creating some type of scam about global warming being caused by vehicle pollution in order to pass laws that require people to buy their "newer cleaner vehicles"......................Totally counter to this and a direction that would be great for the US would be to deregulate/exempt vehicles converted to burn natural gas from EPA regulations that outlaw tampering with emissions control system of vehicles less than 10 years old. The regulations make it impossible for a small business to legally convert newer vehicles to burn CNG and make any profit. We have an abundance of clean burning natural gas here in America. It cost 1/4-1/3 the cost of gasoline. It has an Octane rating of 130(Imagine the increased performance and efficiency that could be obtained with high boost turbo applications). Diesel engines can burn natural gas as well.

Rumor is (from friends with connections at Toyota) that Toyota JP will cease all oil-based/fuel burning vehicles by 2040. Diesels are outlawed in many cities around the globe but the likelihood of the US "taking" diesels away from owners is about as likely as them "taking" firearms. Any entity that proposes this will happen is just fear-mongering.

Out for a hunt on the weekend. Everything done during the last few weeks of shed time is working well - Starter, powersteering pump, recond steering box, tidying some wiring & a few fluid & filter changes. No deer though.

i-qdRQNnb-XL.jpg

She's steering a lot better on the road now too - maybe I should have tuned up the preload on the old steering box a few years back! I had forgotten about that adjustment until I was swapping the new one in.

Last night I got both the diffs & the transfer case filled up with new oil. $$$ Redline stuff for the t-case to hopefully reduce the noise from the Mark's gears. Next up is an air compressor install, water container mounts in the back & rebuilding the battered flares.

Cheers
Clint

Out for a hunt on the weekend. Everything done during the last few weeks of shed time is working well - Starter, powersteering pump, recond steering box, tidying some wiring & a few fluid & filter changes. No deer though.

Now THAT'S a bush 4WD. Lookin good!

After billowing plumes of exhaust when cold-starting the 75 when temps have dipped into the 30s, I installed one of these in the lower radiator hose. We had just north of freezing temps last night, so I plugged it in for about two hours this morning and the Cruiser fired right up. No smoke, no sputtering down the block, it blew hot air immediately and aside from letting the gear oil warm up a bit drove like I had just finished driving it. Highly recommended. I'm going to get a timer and have it run each morning from 6-8am.

My hope is I'll be able to run this off our 1200W Renogy / Sine Wave home battery when camping too, since most of our spots are at 10,000'. Nothing ruins peace and quiet like rough cold starts. I think if this is a 500w device we'll be able to run it for 1.5 hours to help out without draining the house battery (which charges right back up once the truck is on anyway).

51hbpcWIJ4L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom