Events/Trails Pig Party 2020💥🎉💥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To be honest, I tried to retire (sell) them, but we have @ ten goats that are 10 to 15 years old. Those ten are like dogs to us and the only thing they would be good for is meat, so not happening. They get to live out their lives here on the farm with a belly scratch every day and a pancake when we have them. :)

We will all have died of COVID-19 by then and the goats will just us.
D155B7A3-3139-49D4-BCFC-FE3549094886.jpeg

So then we need to plan the Pig Parties in October?

That’s called SSS

Since there’s been no heavy objections to the normal time frame, I vote for the third week of June.

No locations have been decided on. I have two I’ve been thinking about. Either the Duck Creek/Navajo Lake area of southern Utah, or somewhere around Chama/Rio de Chama in northern New Mexico.

Oh man, Northern NM is beautiful. I got to live there a few (brief) times... I could be down for that!

We will most likely try to plan a trip on the Magruder trail around the same time as the pig party, two days driving from Idaho to Montana then turn around and spend two days driving back. I'll need to pull my notes but I believe we plan on starting in or around McCall Idaho and cover a bit more dirt road.

Ya'll welcome to join.

This sounds pretty cool!

View attachment 2138739

If you want to spend an extra day or two check out McCall and Yellow Pine area.You could spend three days at Cinnabar Mine ghost town and never see it all.

Sounds even cooler!

Not sure if a location has been established yet, my plan is to hit the Magruder trail but we are getting hammered with snow right now and that trail is known for opening late in the year if they get heavy snow loads so dates for that trip would need to be somewhat flexible.

I know how fun that can be to plan a trip dependent on snow melt...

Just to make sure I’m not mudding up the water any more than it already is on the official pig party 2020 let me reiterate my plan.

Magruder Corridor is a trail my wife and I have been wanting to do for a few years now but we have been planning our one big summer trip around the pig parties, we had said that we were thinking about skipping the pig party and hitting the Magruder trail instead and offered any of our fellow pig owners that wanted to join would be welcome, if for some reason the official pig party didn’t happen and we had more than one pig we could call it a mini pig party in the spirit of keeping the party alive.

I in no way want to step on any toes or take away from the hard work of the fellows that have put on the pig parties nor do I want to take away from their efforts to put on PP2020.

Magruder trail is a tricky girl and it will open only when it’s ready and not one day before so planning for a specific date is probably not a reality, we are getting some good snow right now but we won’t know much about snow melt until it starts to happen so as we start getting closer to June we should have a better idea.

Magruder trail will not be base camping and I know several of the official partygoers prefer base camping so it might be best to split off the Magruder trail trip from this thread.

Good chance @fj55-100 will join this trip so there is also a good chance there will be some 80MPH rips down the trail.

Base camping makes it a little easier to socialize if you are not tearing down every morning and setting up every evening, but not the be all/end all of a successful Pig Party!

We're wanting to do the Magruder Trail in ID/MT with JMack & Leslie (if they’re cool with the company) in that same time frame. See earlier posts #54 and #77 about that. Seems that Evan and family (fj55-100) and Deo (cruiserjunktion) also opted in. Problem according to Jim is when the corridor trail will actually open. Dependent on snow fall and melting.
We're also signed up for Rising Sun's annual "Train Run" June 11-13 following (and riding) the old narrow gauge between Chama NM and Antonito CO. The train run. June 2020. Would like to do this also but the Pig Party would take precedence since we haven't missed one yet. Train run is an annual event so there'll be other opportunities.

I want to hit that Train Run sometime as well! Summer is starting to fill up...

@bobm
@Megadoomer
@PabloCruise
@fj55tlc
@Rix 45
@Gordobe

and whoever else I may be forgetting, do you want to go to Idaho with JMac, Evan, Jim&Bonnie, and Deo, and call that the Pig Party 2020?

If the current plan is Magruder, I think the boy and I would be down for that. We would probably stop off in SLC and see family on the way out, and possibly on the way back, so I am not sure how much time we would have for looping...

Several miles to the north in the San Juan Mountains of southern Colorado is the Platoro Reservior

View attachment 2228676

Given how much fun I had last year trying to make something on these dates when it kept snowing, we might want to look at something more of a "sure thing".

@J Mack is definitely sending signals that Magruder might not be ready for us in June.

@RUSH55 - do you think Platoro would be open from snow by our dates? I love the look of this place... Not sure what the trail offerings are, but it looks perfect for a day or 2 of swimming...

I've got a good friend who has owned cabin at the Platoro reservior for 20 years. I could ask him. I'm fairly sure it'll be open in mid-to-late June, though.

Here is what my friend who owns a cabin in Platoro said:

"Good to hear from you. I'll do the best I can answering your questions. The road (FR 250/247) to Platoro Reservoir is usually open from the south by early late May. FR 250 coming from the north over Stunner Pass is usually open by early June. This year the snow was close to normal so these should be good estimates. 4wd trails in the Platoro are include a short drive to Kerr lake on FR 257 which you have done before when we took your boat there many years ago, Another is FR 105, a rough but easily passable road (without snow) with good scenery. FR 260 is known as the "old toll road" and is access from the Conejos river basin to the Alamosa river basin. It is rough and can be challenging if there is water/mud. North of Platoto is the town of Jasper. FR 280 heads north out of Jasper to Blow Out pass. There is a trail from the pass that continues up to Bennett peak (13,200 ft) which is open when the snow melts. Another trail to the north is the historic Elwood pass trail that heads down the Elwood creek/East Fork of the San Juan River toward Pagosa Springs. This trail has several stream crossings that will be challenging in June. There might be a 4wd club in Pagosa Springs that keeps up with trail conditions that might be good to check with before making final decisions. Let me know if you have other questions."

Cheers,

Mike

Okay, so once again I was reminded that Father’s Day (21st) is the Sunday following the solstice (20th). So I’m gonna go ahead and make the vote to push it to the following week, June 22 - 29, so that everyone coming can show off the new Cruiser gear they got for Father’s Day. Sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom