Events/Trails Pig Party 2020💥🎉💥 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m interested

Pending dates I’m interested. Something else might be happening for me on the dates we’ve been using. Is there interest in moving the dates forward or does that mess with kids school

Around the week of June 18 goes with the tradition for the last 3 years.
Location is still up in the air. I did come across a fantastic location on the way home. It’s in Utah, place called Navajo Lake/Duck Creek. Pretty sure I remember there being an official campground but tons of area to camp that isn’t campground. This would be one of those trips involving strapping a canoe to the roof and getting a little boating action. Lots and lots of backroad exploration to be had as well.

Want to say the idea of some places in Idaho was tossed around as well. Or possibly back to Colorado. Heard about a place up there near Rico called Trout Lake/Lizard Head Pass that looks pretty amazing.

As one of the few who’ve attended all three western Pig Parties and is lucky enough to have a flexible schedule I say YES.
If a little earlier, how about Death Valley or the Old Mohave Road? JMack was talking about an Idaho expedition. Maybe northern NM or southern AZ. Let’s mix up the geography.

Colorado or New Mexico are easier for me. My pig spent 2013-2018 in Colorado (Boulder and Aspen) and Taos, NM, so maybe she would enjoy seeing the old haunts. (Also, I have a son in school in Golden, so...)

That said, I have yet to make a single PP.

Driving the pig even that far in June / July would certainly be an “adventure”. (Is it against the rules to trailer one to the party? ❄️)

(Is it against the rules to trailer one to the party? ❄)

Not of we don’t know about it (just kidding but might get a little ribbing)

We will most likely try to plan a trip on the Magruder trail around the same time as the pig party, two days driving from Idaho to Montana then turn around and spend two days driving back. I'll need to pull my notes but I believe we plan on starting in or around McCall Idaho and cover a bit more dirt road.

Ya'll welcome to join.

And yes, we're coming this time.

Woohoo!!

Southern AZ or any other warm destinations should be avoided in late June. My vote is for mountains, pines, high elevation in summer. I would love to hit the Mojave Rd. or Death Valley or even something like Moab or somewhere in New Mexico during a much cooler month, say October/November/December/January/February.

@J Mack, I drove through Council/Riggins/Grangeville in 2003 on my way to Spokane. Pretty country.

@RUSH55 as a (former) Las Vegas native who lives in Austin now, I completely agree.

Death Valley in the summer is a pig cooling system stress test.

The *average* temp in July was 107.4 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the hottest month, anywhere, on Earth, ever.

Many days had a high temp that exceeded 120F. The Furnace Creek Visitor Center recorded a temperature of 127 F on four days in July.

Last edited:
I like all the options with the exception of Mojave Road. Been over it and it is a "pole line road" for the most part. Encountered hot rod buggies throwing ton of dust. Would not recommend for a Pig Run.

@J Mack, I drove through Council/Riggins/Grangeville in 2003 on my way to Spokane. Pretty country.
@RUSH55 as a (former) Las Vegas native who lives in Austin now, I completely agree.
Death Valley in the summer is a pig cooling system stress test.
The *average* temp in July was 107.4 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the hottest month, anywhere, on Earth, ever.
Many days had a high temp that exceeded 120F. The Furnace Creek Visitor Center recorded a temperature of 127 F on four days in July.

Obviously, as originally suggested, we'd have to change dates to do Death Valley or the Mohave Road. Only a fool would be out there in July, although they do run a mid-summer ultra marathon there. Probably late March/early April would be optimum. We've camped there in March and experienced near freezing overnight temps. Hard to beat the area for lots to do on accessible trails. An earlier outing would also offer the opportunity for those who wished to join JMack in Idaho mid-June. Alternatively, lots of history and many interesting side trips along the Mohave Road from the Colorado River to almost Barstow (look it up), which could but doesn't need to be a straight line drive, and it could easily fit our usual 3-4 day schedule.
No intent to argue any of this...just throwing out options. We'll likely be there whatever the ultimate decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom