What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (34 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wife went to work and I did the only thing she told me not to do which was buy another land cruiser.

1975 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser

California smog exempt-

Small block Chevy motor with LC 4 speed and transfer case. Aluminum radiator. SOA suspension front and rear with a mild stretch on both axles. Shackle reversal on front. Original PTO winch with gearbox. Working heater front and rear. Does have rust in floors and corners. Will need front floors done eventually but wheels just fine now. Could probably use a tune up, but runs and drives. Clean title.

Front axle-

cut and turned for proper caster and pinion angle. Mini truck/fj60 knuckles and disc brakes. Front axle completely rebuilt and added Spartan locker. 4x4labs high steer arms with 1 ton ends.

Rear axle-

Disc brakes with two spare rotors. Lincoln locker(welded spider). New brake lines.

Custom Tom woods cv driveshafts front and rear.

Scout II power steering box

38.5 super swampers in 15” steelies

728C654B-F899-42D7-ACA4-9F662E229488.jpeg

Setup the RTT to let it air out. It hasn’t been opened since November and fall is on the way! It actually still smells new inside.

9074FA86-B202-4A14-8807-E93D4ED9C464.jpeg
B251DADB-2680-4810-805C-B6892D8845BB.jpeg
953F2E09-04B6-4CFA-9413-3008ED68E42F.jpeg

Finally got around to doing a compression check on my 64.
(original engine. Had a re ring and bearing job done many years ago, but not many miles ago)

All cylinders came in at 140 - 147. Not too shabby! (cold and dry)

Finally back on the road after months of being down for a blown master cylinder. It was the original factory one, so I guess I can't complain since it lasted 39 years. But one thing led to another, and life got in the way. Short story: replaced the master with a new Aisin FZJ-80 unit from @cruiseroutfit , had to bend some new lines for it since the ports are in different locations than the stock one, then realized that the booster would be hosed from brake fluid inside, so I took it all off again and put on a new booster from @Racer65, adjusted brake and clutch pedals, bent lines again, cut and re-flared one, and bled the brakes. Bleeder screws on the 9-year-old Monte Carlo calipers were rusted shut, so brand new bleed screws all around. Finished this morning, and the new master is a vast improvement in braking!

After I converted the rear to discs with Monte Carlo calipers, I never could get the rear to not lock up before the front, even with a proportioning valve. Now, with the FZJ-80 master, the rear does not lock up and braking is firmer and more progressive. Tried a few quick stops and the difference is night and day. Much more confidence in my brakes now.

IMG_1251[1].JPG

Last edited:
Ground the rust off of the rotors and found front calipers had pads almost run down to metal, and cylinder boots were cracked. Ordered new and awaiting parts. Part of my efforts to bring '40 back to life. Bad gas removal next. Followed by new shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom