Builds Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I apologize for bringing this thread back to the top with this post since it's been posted in another thread but since this thread is a journal of sorts for the build history on this truck I needed to include it.

Some pics of the new bumper I put together this past weekend.
IMG_2211.JPG
IMG_2213.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2217.JPG
IMG_2218.JPG

Couple minor electronic updates this week. The original speakers have had enough over the past 20 years and may or may not work depending on the day. I replaced the 4 door speakers with these Rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers. I needed to use a 3/4" spacer and they do contact the dash when the front doors close. But the doors still close. Sound quality is much improved. For a relatively inexpensive set of speakers I'm happy with them, but they aren't sound studio quality by any stretch.
IMG_2314 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I've also been working on improving my navigation gear. I picked up a wifi only iPad mini last fall to use for nav in the truck. I've been running Gaia GPS and have really liked the App. I was trying to use my iPhone as a hotspot to connect to the iPad but it was way too laggy to be useful and I've just been running Gaia on my phone instead. Works great on the phone but I wanted to make the iPad useful so I picked up a Bad Elf GPS Pro receiver that connects via Bluetooth with the iPad. Made a small bracket to mount it to the shift console and leave it plugged in since I really only plan to use it in the truck. So far, it seems to solve the issues with the iPad running Gaia. Done some minor testing last night and this morning but plan to get out in the sticks soon for more testing to see how this works. Had good reviews for this exact use so I am hopeful.
IMG_2322 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

The Bad Elf receiver is just in front of the cup holder.
IMG_2325 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2324 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2323 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

while working on some Cruise Moab prep items I had a little time to address something I've wanted to do for a long time, update my dash lights. I found a post on IH8MUD that linked these LED bulb replacements and decided to give them a shot. I replaced the 4 main backlights in the gauge cluster with white LEDs and also replaced the backlights in the shift indicator and Heater controls with smaller LEDs. Was a fairly simple modification, just need to take the dash apart enough to get the gauges and heater control unit out.

Here's the LEDs I used for the gauge backlights. They came with the twistlock sockets and were super easy to change once the gauges were out.
LEDs by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KT1BH1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_QF6Mzb5TPTKGK?tag=ihco-20

Here's the LEDs I used for the shift indicator (I have a "D" light again!) as well as the heater control backlights. Note, the heater control sockets are slightly smaller so I used an exacto knife to shave a little off the plastic housings of the LEDs so they would fit in the sockets. Didn't have to remove much material for them to fit.
LEDs2 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVXTVZ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_NpmWdYNP64Nm3?tag=ihco-20

These are a huge upgrade in brightness from the standard incandescent bulbs. There is some question about the longevity of these LEDs so time will tell how long they last, but they are inexpensive and pretty simple to replace if I need to change them again down the road. Some might find the shift indicators too bright, but personally I don't mind it at all.
IMG_2685 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2686 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Lights on during the daytime.
IMG_2687 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2688 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Lights on at night. Note, the guage backlights and heater control lights are dimmable.
IMG_2689 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

IMG_2691 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Good upgrade but definitely too bright in my book. I like to keep my dashlights just bright enough for me to see the gauges. Anything brighter and it screws up my normally really good night vision. I’ve struggled for years with aftermarket head units being too bright.

Agreed. How low can they be dimmed?

Hey Adam, since your the long term Slinky guy any chance you could get us your Center Hub to Fender Flare measurement of your truck now that you have more than broken in your Heavy Duty Slinky Springs ??

Thanks in advance !!

Hey Adam, since your the long term Slinky guy any chance you could get us your Center Hub to Fender Flare measurement of your truck now that you have more than broken in your Heavy Duty Slinky Springs ??

Thanks in advance !!
Yeah I'll measure tonight.

Your build looks great man. That is one sick bumper.

How did you work around the cats when you installed the sliders? I have a 94 and am thinking of getting the trail-gear sliders.

Your build looks great man. That is one sick bumper.

How did you work around the cats when you installed the sliders? I have a 94 and am thinking of getting the trail-gear sliders.
The Trail Gear sliders will need to have two new legs to work on the 80. The ones that are included with the sliders are fine for the back and middle legs but aren't long enough for the front leg so you'll need one for both sides. Just need to bend it to pass under the cats. I had a set on my '93 with the side by side cats like you probably have. I actually put a plate under them and connected it with tube.

sliders_12.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom