80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the slinky's a 2.5 shock? Icon's website says their shocks for the 80 are 2.0's. I may have finally found the difference between the two!

And I agree, for consumers, it's the price that's turning folks away. When compared with 4WU 3 link kit, you start wondering what you're getting for your investment. If money was no issue, well a lot of things could be done and said. But like everyone else, I'm on a budget with a goal in mind. I love the slinky reviews, but cost is definitely a deterrent!
icon USA has 2.0 an 2.5 with resvoir autcraft has 2.0 an resvoir also redline said they can do with out ccv also. The difference is the rod an houseing im not sure about internals or what assmbly was used icon USA said autocraft au resevres the rights to there shocks , which i respect an they can keep at the price i was quoted 3100 but i wil take them springs. Icon USA said for addtinal 100 they can make shock for me based off 80 seris 2.5 with resvoir. auto crafts shocks are made in USA i was wondering if they payed the extra 100 or send them to austrailia an ship them back. Thats why i called i didn't want to be sending shocks to au an imagine if they went serived right which i have had happen 2xs here in phoenix an Cali. icon is the best if you ask me tires an shocks are your life line in this game. i can go with out the rest like under wear an a under t or even socks but im not sporting flip flops i will pay not over pay. we need that nich that fit comfort an a LIGHT hit on the wallet. we need them springs an price fix and detailed info. the springss are in Australia an made somewhere if made here maybe cheaper for darren. Icon USA should sale darrens autocraft stuff to all its venders an give him royalty's but who am to say that darrens private deal an not are business

Ive cracked the swivel base where threw bolt attaches on icons they send me free ones dif desisghn then 80 series on fj cruiser. icon is good

The stage 4 slinky kit is considerably more than the top of the line 4WU kit. Also, the base line stage one kit has options that would need to be purchased, i.e. Caster correction, panhard, which makes the pricing on the two methods of long travel comparable.

Yes the 4WU requires welding, it also allows significantly more movement of the front axel.

not even close. according to the website, the 3link builder kit is $1935, but only includes brackets hardware and links. no bumpstop stuff, no coilovers, no brake lines, no sway bar extensions, no shop supplies for cutting/grinding/welding. and no labor for the folks that don't have the ability to do the install. the 50mm intermediate slinky kit comes complete, springs, shocks, brakelines, extended bumpstops, swaybar extensions for $40 more than the 4wu cheap kit.

Pretty much where I was going with that question.

The stage 4 slinky kit is considerably more than the top of the line 4WU kit. Also, the base line stage one kit has options that would need to be purchased, i.e. Caster correction, panhard, which makes the pricing on the two methods of long travel comparable.

Yes the 4WU requires welding, it also allows significantly more movement of the front axel.

Last time I checked the 4wu kit was by no means comprehensive or complete. A lot of things need to be added to make it whole. On top of that you need to get everything aligned near perfect and welded in. Its considerably more work and at least as much if not quite a bit more money than any kit you can purchase. If the Slinky coils are more than you want to spend ( and there's nothing wrong with that ) there are a lot of other options either recently on the market, or coming this year.

Last time I checked the 4wu kit was by no means comprehensive or complete. A lot of things need to be added to make it whole. On top of that you need to get everything aligned near perfect and welded in. Its considerably more work and at least as much if not quite a bit more money than any kit you can purchase. If the Slinky coils are more than you want to spend ( and there's nothing wrong with that ) there are a lot of other options either recently on the market, or coming this year.
When viewed from a dollars spent per the actual increase in front axle articulation perspective, a three link, even the 4WU kit, can't be touched by the products that are the focus of this thread. Spend $100 to go 1/4 of the way or spend $150 to go all the way is how I see this.

I went with OME Js because of all the delays and trouble people had getting the right product. Like I mentioned in a post before, I would rather give my money to a vendor who can keep stock on their shelves. If these guys are the exclusive dealer then they should have done better to keep them in stock.

If they get to that point in the future, then maybe I will get a set. Till then the OMEs will do great for sitting in trafficin LA

I spoke with Redline a few days ago. He made it sound like one of the problems he had was that he was selling just springs or just shocks form kits and it was breaking up the kits. Making it harder to keep kits stacked. I thought he said he was not going to be offer just springs for sale any more. It was developed as a complete kit and i think they want to sell it as a complete kit. Personally i dont like that but it is there business to run as they like.

I already have extended brake lines, swaybar drop, caster correction and 2" springs i am happy with. I just ordered some Radflo shocks. I really like the idea of the Slinky springs and would not mind upgrading my springs to a set of 50mm or 75mm Slinkys. But i dont need or want the kit. We will see how things play out. For now if my Radflos are good my set up should be really nice for my need so i am not in a hurry for slinky springs.

Reactions: jay
Will most who run a "long travel" spring and shock combination ever realize a real world difference with a vehicle like the 80 series? With suspension links and bushings like the 80 series? Will oem bushings be over flexed into an early demise?

Soaking up the bumps better is always a welcome trait but I'm not so sure any of us will benefit from more suspension travel than has long been available to us.

Take H1's for example. They are large and heavy yet very capable but not due to incredible suspension travel, rather, ground clearance through design and tire size and traction. One tire in the air isn't so bad when you have lockers.

I'm not advocating stiff, low travel suspension or discouraging whatever it is you want to accomplish with your rig. I run Rubicon more than any other trail,perhaps 4 times a year, and I havn't really wanted for anything to be honest.

I think @ericb1 makes a good point about the cost of the slinky/icon set up vs. what the 80 was designed to do best vs. age of the model and the myriad other things that WILL need attention to keep my rig fully operational. This is a situation where ignorance really is bliss. I wheeled the same trails for 15 years on some old, stiff ass leaf springs that were in my last rig and never thought anything of it. Needless to say, moving into a fully locked 80 has been like wheeling in a Caddy so far.

I had never considered this perspective. Interesting, something to think about.

Does anyone have a hub to fender mesurement of the 50mm and 75mm with a heavy armored up/winch/dual batt 80?

there are so many more options coming online nowadays for springs, dobinsons, icon, redline, trail taylor. I plan to run what I have for a year, let the dust settle and then switch up what I have. Most likely a few more vedors will step in and pricing will stabalize somewhat......

Does anyone have a hub to fender mesurement of the 50mm and 75mm with a heavy armored up/winch/dual batt 80?
thank you thank you on the ride hieght. if they sale kits only they know they will loose moeny sale bulk an you shal recieve. im eyeing emu next month i might be in market jus dropped 2000 on axles whats another 38 3900 its just moeny for slinkys!!! il pass too

panhards aren't required, just suggested. people have been running larger lifts without panhard mods for decades. caster bushings or plates can be had for $120 -$150. on stage one, you could get brake lines and swaybar/bumpstop extensions for that, but you're still missing coilovers.

now, let's talk about the rear....4wu kit is for the front. you still need everything for the rear. on the stage 4 kit, if you do all the work, you would be comparable. the poster was asking about stage one, where 4wu would end up being considerably more expensive.

yes, flex is better and for someone looking for harder rock crawling, this might be a better fit, but for the general wheeler a bolt on 80 kit will still flex well and the slinky just might be the way to go.

I'm going with King OEM Performance Kit shocks and Slinky coils (50mm Intermediate) using Redline's install kit, on my 80 with 33" KO2s. Truck is used as my DD and for wheeling in the Sierra's, and will be a keepsake for my grandchildren so they can enjoy wheeling in what will be an ancient classic when they grow up, so longevity of the suspension is important, and why I went with the Kings.

Looking forward to anyone's thoughts/concerns/ideas and will update the forum when I get it put together (waiting for the latest batch of springs from Redline) and out for a spin.

Low range has them king shocks. I've been checking them out too. Less inexpensive an they have bumps stops hydraulic an steering dampener. Spoke with Darren. If you have 2 battery's which an bumper you need heavy duty in front an 1 is longer for driver side. The rear there 4 choice of coils depending on load . I couldn't get a spec sheet or load chart or weight info. I been calling redline here an there an no answers an left a message . Redline is supposed to be Getting a shipment soon.

I feel like anyone that is considering the options between the Slinky stuff and a 3-link needs to consider their intended use for their truck. A 3-link will likely net more flex as a result of the custom setup. But, as has been mentioned there can be a heavy cost in having it done properly and can even be quite costly even if you can do that fab work yourself. Beyond the cost, it will be a suspension better suited for rock crawling than daily driving or go-fast desert driving. Can a 3-link do those other things, sure, but at a different level of control. Looking only at cost I think is not the primary concern since it really isn't an apples to apples comparison for what you get for the cost.

Slinky kits can be expensive especially when looking at the stage 4 kit, but what are you getting from that high cost? You're getting an extremely well engineered kit that is 100% bolt on that won't require lots of custom work and will maintain excellent daily drivability and very good offroad performance in all condition. IMO, its the best performing suspension available as a bolt on system. Will it flex as much as a 3-link? Maybe not but it will still provide impressive flex and outperform most other bolt on options in the rocks. Personally I think if your goal is to build a rock crawler, it shouldn't be an 80 in the first place. But I realize that that is the type of wheeling some prefer and the 80 still does it quite well, so I understand those who choose to build 80s for that purpose.

For daily use a suspension that can maintain factory (or close to factory) suspension setup is going to be best. For the go-fast desert stuff, a reasonable amount of travel is good, but high performance shocks will be what gets you through the desert faster and in the most comfort with the least amount of abuse to the vehicle. This is why the shocks are the most expensive part of the Slinky kits. They are the piece that makes the most difference IMO. It's clear that Darren put a large amount of focus and effort into the construction and performance of the shocks in his kits. I think he knows that when someone spends their hard earned money on his kits they hope and expect to see a return on that investment in the performance of the suspension. The shock performance is what you're going to notice most.

it really boils down to what the intended purpose of the truck is. There is a custom approach to any goal that can have good results whether it's crawling, daily use, desert driving, racing or whatever. The ideal approach for any one of those goals will mean a compromise in the other areas of one degree or another. Do you want to go down the road of a custom setup (nothing wrong with that), that could require more effort to fix if it's not working quite right? Or is a bolt-on approach with a suspension that has the fewest amount of compromises in all areas a better choice? At least that's one guys opinion. For me, my truck needs to work well in all of those conditions (except for racing) and the Slinky kit is the best solution available to do that.

Metric is better, it's all in 10s rather than 12s.
I bought a steel yard stick that's has both on it.
Amerca should of converted over years ago.

They did. At least the government and the military, just not the rest of you schmucks :)

Government and military converted to metric? That's news to me, must have been after my 17 years military and government time. Lol.

They did. At least the government and the military, just not the rest of you schmucks :)

Huh? Us gov metric? They use both an they like sae. Theres more sae then metric depends on what your servicing. I prefer the metric it is the world standard but sae is fine , in school sae is the requirement metric is a plus. A lot of stuff is even mixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom