Top Ten FJ40 MUD Buildouts... your opinion counts! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hecrod

40 & 930 Fanatic...
Threads
Website
fj40cruisers.tumblr.com
Looking for excellent examples of great builds and great stories... hopefully comprehensive and well written.

Which one is your favorite buildout?

Updated List (20DEC15):

1. Type: 1965 45LV. Where: Minnesota USA. 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread by buckroseau Why?? Out of this world! A 10-year old thread, but as good as it gets. You won't find a more detailed build anywhere... certainly not with respect to body work. Extremely thorough... This one, and the LWB below could be read as a book... but start with the LV!
  2. Type: 1978 40 Where: Malawi, Africa. Blue Mule resto in Malawi by M5driver Why? Shipping parts into Southern Africa... somewhat inept help... revolution... the Wild... will it make it back to the States in one piece? Great story!!!
  3. Type: 1983 BJ42 LX Where: South Africa, Africa. Intro: Ugly Betty(so far) by tmarx Why? LX... Shipped from Australia into South Africa... ultra high-quality work. Sensible updates, truly useful in nature. And epic trips to boot! Great photography. I'm impressed...
  4. NEW! Type: 1979 HJ47 Where: Germany. Travelling Cruisers. A spectacular expedition-type build, with even more spectacular uses! What a build... engineering marvel...
  5. Type: 1978 40 Where: Alabama, USA. Roma's 78 fj40 gets a refurb by roma042987 Why? Great build and awesome adventures in Western USA National Parks... great pictures!
  6. Type: 1962 40 Where: Utah, USA. Help needed FJFJFJ / 1962 FJ40 44K ORIGINAL MILES by fjfjfj Why? 1962 corrugated top barn find... to Museum piece... literally. Very good story, to include some eBay drama right at the end! Likely the most "correct" restoration of an early 40.
  7. Type: 1964 40 Where: Oregon, USA. destins 1964 fj40 FST restore thread by destin Why? Excellent well-documented (and long!) restoration. Some nice trips right at the end of the piece... where are you now Destin???
  8. Type: 1976 UZJ40! Where: Nevada, USA. My UZJ40 Build - 2UZ iForce V8 and a750f 5spd auto by jetranger Why? The ICON has got nothing on it... not quite completed yet (a wedding may get in the way)... but already deserves to be here! We're not worthy... Nasty good...
  9. Type: Phantom! Where: Islamabad, Pakistan. Building A Four Door FJ40 by FouadHafeez... Why? In the words of Fouad... "It isn't very detailed or technically correct...it doesn't chronicle every last item done on the vehicle...it isn't hugely informative. What I hope it DOES offer is a perspective on Land Cruisers (and life in general) from pretty much the other side of the world, for most people" And it is! Great vision, good skills, great story... and a lesson in life from the perspective of "the Other Side" that we should all learn from.
  10. Type: 1977 40 Where: California, USA. ANTFJ 77 Build.. by antFJ Why? Make-shift garage... 21 YO student. Current AF Pilot? From a rust bucket to... see for yourself! The before and after are just stunning. Persistence and patience pays.

Ongoing very good threads (these ones may be in the Top Ten once completed!):

Honorary Mention:

1. 81 BJ42 - I have to bring it home and pass inspection by Awl_TEQ... a good read... may be one of the very best if the frame-off actually takes place. An awesome initial drive... and some off-roading in MOAB too!
  2. Burnttoast Build Post by burnttoastburgos. Another inspirational build! From a '76 with a 350 to a highly modified unit with an LS3! It's a piece of art. Active thread!
  3. Mission Impossible......My 74 Build up by a Top Gun Land Cruiser builder :)by apeterson Why? Hunting, Building, Drinking, Floods, 2 year build, curses galore, and then… noooo!
  4. My ICON by CLK Foxhall. Documenting a significant portion of the building of the ICON!
  5. My 75 FJ40 build up thread... this build took almost 8 years! From a truly rusted out 75 to a stretch out beauty! Can you say 6.5L turbo diesel??? Amazing skills... and persistence! Kudos to you Kevin... @kcustom73
  6. My 1976 FJ40 "Kit Car" by FJSeattle Why? You start with a placard (literally)... and end up with a jewel! All piece-meal one purchased / procured part at a time! Very good read... mad skills.
  7. Project LandROC by Mcgyver24. A marriage between a '74 40 and a Z28 IROC Z! Another example of great skills and an amazing final product.
  8. The Great Gazoo from 1972! Yet another cool build! Excellent build... and excellent story... going from this (a $300.05 parts lot from eBay). This rig was flipped right at the end... In a way I am tempted to say that it is too bad that it was "flipped" (see this thread), but fact is those "flippers" are creating a sophisticated market for our rigs. So, it is too bad that the original owner was not able to get full money, but I am glad the 40 eventually went for the right price!
  9. Twistys Aussie HJ45 Buildup/Resto by Twisty... gag-inducing work right here. Can you say all-around disc brakes, turbo, and timber board custom bed? Yeah... I knew you could!
  10. Uglina's (78 FJ40) Fix-up Thread by TEQ. An older CCOT restoration (circa 1993) is restored again (2006)! Wonderful multi-year thread with multiple tech tips, some body work, off-roading trips, kids growing up, hunting sceneries... and more. It's now sold, residing in Texas!

Other cool builds:

1964 FJ40 Build by my64fj40
1966 FJ45LV restoration/buildup project by merbesfield

1973 Toyota FJ40 Build.....Long Road Ahead by Sully73FJ40
'77 FJ40 buildup in Charlotte (finally) by Cirbo
81 bj42 build..... trusty rusty by Ambrew.
Another 77 FJ40 resto by SSCR

AntFJ 1971 Build by antFJ

NEW! building a landcruiser for overland expedition

Hostile takeover '77 FJ40 build thread... advice welcomed. by FJsnoozer
My First Landcruiser: 78' Frame Off Restofication by 90 Weight
My Jan 81 FJ40 Frame Off Resto Mod by KY Longhunter
NEW!!! Onesprung60: 1967 FJ40 Frame Off Restore.
Operation Olive, My 1975 FJ40 Ground Up Restoration by broth9640

Restorapaloosa... My 1969 Restoration Thread by thecrazygreek.

Restoration Begins on the 77 by ColoradoFJ40.
Springtail MPAC 1977 FJ40 Build by hindsight.
the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . . by DSRTRDR.
Well looky here! by thecrazygreek

Won a '74 40 on a coin toss... by ginmtb (Active Thread!)

Thanks to SouthBostonFJ40, JohnnyC, todt, ginmtb, pngunme, 2fpower, SSCR, davegonz, subzali, merbesfield, DSRTRDR, subzali, roma042987 and jim land for contributing to the list!

Last edited:
Don't know how to link but
Shanes 81fj40 was top notch
3 days and 3300 miles later
and destins are up on my list

Last edited:
Theo's Ugly Betty build: Intro: Ugly Betty(so far)

p1010444_1_.jpg

DSC_0187.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
Very happy and honored to be mentioned! More then anything I wanted to help a fellow mudder out with their restorations, and chronicling the resto I believe helped with the sale.

Anything from Crazygreek and AntFJ should also be considered.

Last edited:
100%! Amazing! I just read about half the 68 pages.

Matt's LV thread hooked me first. That should be added to the list as well.

Awl_TEQ's thread on his bj42 is a great one for rolling restorations.

And how could we forget Uglina!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom