Help needed FJFJFJ / 1962 FJ40 44K ORIGINAL MILES

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by fjfjfj, Aug 23, 2012.

1. fjfjfj

fjfjfj

Hello you guys,,,,,,,,,,,I am so stoked to have found this diamond in the rough. 1962 FJ40 owned by the same family for 47 years ( neighbor owned it for the first 3 ), zero cancer rust, surface rust only ( that is DUST on the hood, not rust ), 44k original miles, cold compression test done in the barn turned out great. Will get it back to California from Steamboat Springs, Colorado and wake her up again. All original. I do have one question for you guys and I am currently doing the research myself to find out more but could anyone tell me if they know anything about that color bezel and top? The owner says he remembers when his Father got it and always remember the top and Bezel being that color. Would like to hear your opinion. Once I get her home and give it the once over ( twice over ) I will post cleaned up pics. I have owned a handful of cruisers but never a 1962. I read last night that only 3900 ( approx ) were made that first year of the FJ40 so that is really cool. Feel lucky to have found it. Please comment on the color of top and bezel. Thanks you guy, FJFJFJ
    dave62frontinbarn.jpg dave62ENGINE.jpg dave62top.jpg

2. fjfjfj

fjfjfj

FJFJFJ / more pics 1962 FJ40 BARN FIND

Here are some more pics.
    dave62cargo.jpg DAVE62DRIVERSIDEBACK.jpg DAVE62UNDERCARRIAGE.jpg

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. fjfjfj

fjfjfj

fjfjfj more pics 1962 FJ40

fj40 1962 original paint.
    dave62frontseats.jpg

4. cult45

cult45

Rare! Manual sliding windows, column shift, bi-fold, that a centre diff? What brand's the heater? Are they cross-plies? Love the oil-filler pipe on the F. Keep that jump-seat and stamped bezel on lockdown!

Can't help with the bezel/lid colour - nice find though. Reeeeeal nice.

5. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

Curious to see more pictures. The CL ad for this one has been linked a few times in the 25 section. Looked a solid cruiser. Need to get on the list in the 25 section for repo lenses for the turn signals.

6. myquestoyota

myquestoyota SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Was that a factory crotch fan? Love that rig! Nice find.

7. mruff

mruff

Nice rig. Post more pics when you get it home

8. toomanytoyzz

toomanytoyzz

Awesome score. Talk about a cool barn find. Definitely post up a ton of pics during it's revival. A couple driving vids would be cool also.:steer:

9. BTUMAN

BTUMAN SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    DW, you always get the good stuff! Nice find.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

10. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

Wow! Post up the serial number.

11. fjfjfj

fjfjfj

Hello Fast Eddy,,,,,Will double check but I think it's FJ40 15823. Also. Can you tell me where to find info on that build month? I noticed SOR doesn't go back to 1962 on their chart. Question. Do you think the orange top and bezel come from the left overs on the 1961 model cruiser? I noticed when I went back to 1961 there were a variety of colored tops but have not found one at all for the 1962 model except for mine. Can you or anyone shed light? Thanks. Will post more pics. ALSO,,,,,,,,thanks everyone for the enouraging comments. I appreciate it. FJFJFJ

12. fjfjfj

fjfjfj

1962 fj40 barn find in steamboat springs

MORE PICS of Steamboat Springs cruiser. Regarding that crotch fan. I noticed other 1962 cruisers, original looking ones, had that fan. Definitely cool ( no pun intended ). fjfjfj
    dave62backtire.jpg dave62more.jpg dave62peddles.jpg

13. cbmontgo

cbmontgo SILVER Star

That one caught my eye on CL as well. VERY nice original 40...what are your plans for it?

14. Living in the Past

Did you get any pictures yourself or just these? They seem to be the same ones as the ones that were posted last year. https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-class...62-fj40-original-owner-42-000-orig-mi-co.html The bezel is a repaint same as is the top. The fan is a PO install. never seen any lit or any cruiser with one. Personally owned eight cruisers made before 1962 none had one. None listed in the early micro fiche. 1962 was the second year of the FJ40. 1961 was the first and had a few more hold over parts off the FJ25. Curious when you get your FJ40 what the last year tags are on the rear plate. My 61 from Colorado was last registered twenty-five years ago.

15. destin

destin

very cool

I saw these photos a while back as well :)

I would love to see current photos!

That is a piece of history :)

16. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

17. My wife said no FJ!

My wife said no FJ!

The FJ25 forum is your best bet for this rig, as it was for all practicality closer to a 25 than a 40, and it has been discussed before...AND, there are a couple more '62 there with nice PROPER and CORRECT restoration threads... https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/

I spoke with the kid selling it a year or so ago when he needed money for school, and remember learning that something was messed up by his father many years ago, 1968?? tranny??? and it was just parked in the barn by his grandfather, and left alone.

I do remember the price being too high for what it was the last time I looked into buying it. You can PM me if you'd like.

Oh, and as others have noted before this thread, Living In The Past is one of the most respected people I know who really knows old cruisers, so if there is anyone I would listen to concerning this '62, it is him.

As for the build date, that I can make out, Toyota built roughly 400 a year, so a little math puts it around an August 1962 build....and I think that this is the best you'll get to a build date.

EDIT: My biggest question is, what are YOUR plans for this '62? Your "Diamond in the Rough" comment made me wince...

18. Living in the Past

From production numbers and VINs the first VIN was probably 1FJ40~10001. The oldest know here just surfaced some months back in Northern CA, 1FJ40~10187. But it was parted out.:frown: Next is 1FJ40~10202 which I own but is in need of a total restore. My other 61 is in the 1FJ40~108XX range. It still had the FJ25 bumper and dual arm rear jump seats. By 62 both the bumper and rear seats were standard FJ40 styles.

19. Living in the Past

Transmsion if stock will be different than the mid 63 and later transmission. Parts are hard to come by. Plus the column shifter has linkage that runs from the bottom of the steering column to the transmission that pivits in the middle with two rods instead of a single rod. Easiest fix it to use a later three and column shifter. Even easier to use a floor shift. Or you could be like me and keep buying more cruisers to find the parts you need.:bang:

20. My wife said no FJ!

My wife said no FJ!

I vote to wait until the correct part is found...although buying more cruisers would not be a bad thing either :beer:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.