81 BJ42 - I have to bring it home and pass inspection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awl_TEQ

Supporting Vendor
Threads
A few of you may recognize this thread ---> https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/404364-radd-cruisers-bj42-new-life.html

Well I have in fact purchased this unit though not from Rob directly. There was another awesome cruiserhead from Calgary who bought it and after six months decided he had too many cruisers. He made me an offer I could not refuse and now its mine :bounce:

Through all that the rig is still at Rob's place. I am flying to Victoria next Thursday in order to drive it home. From what I have gathered she had sat for untold years when Rob found it. He changed all fluids, water pump, t-stat and cleaned it up some. His only concern for road worthy status is brakes sticking/ dragging though it did do a 40km run on the highway with no problems I am told.

The drive home is 1000km through elevations from sea level to 4400' in a vehicle that has not seen regular use for "many, many years". I expect, and hope for, an adventure. Though I'd like to avoid any catastrophic breakdowns.

I'd like to canvas the populace of MUD as to what likely suspects I should plan for with regard to breakdowns:

Brakes: obviously I'll be inspecting them after reports of sticking/ dragging.

What in the fuel delivery system could cause an issue? Crud in the tank, plugged filter, dried seals, air leaks? Over fuelling at altitude. These aren't an issue now but I suppose I should at least be mentally prepared.

Cooling? The coolant was flushed but Rob reports brown coolant afterwards. I suppose spare hoses and belts might be an idea. Spare coolant.

Tranny, t-case, diff oils - check and monitor as I go?

Any other ideas?

Photos copied from the original thread:
027-1.jpg

012.jpg

"The Plan" for this rig? I already have a 45 undergoing a frame off with a lot of customizing so I really don't want two 40 series torn apart at the same time. I also don't want this 42 to just sit in the driveway until I get to it. So I will properly fix the rust issues with steel, prime, seal and spot paint because she must pass the out of provence inspection in order to be registered. Holes through the body are an automatic fail. The goal is to pass inspection and drive it as is until I can do a frame off resto to stock condition. I will likely use OME 2.5" springs and 33" tires but that would be the extent of the mods. This unit is virtually totally complete at 176,000km on the clock and a factory radio still in place. No way I'm gonna screw this up with cut and paste mods.

The rust is by no means minor but I am up for the challenge
016.jpg
027-1.jpg
012.jpg
016.jpg

I would be wary of brakes and clutches that havent seen use for many years. The master cyls may start sucking air in.
It wouldnt take much to drain the tank and check the contents.
Its rust I would be most worried about from condensation in the upper area where there is no fuel

s*** buddy, i have driven worse ...
take it around the block, if it doesn't pull, if it runs smooth, if the temp stays the same then head for home. i have done your run many many times. worse case is a brake line bursts but don't panic, downshift and when you need to stop shut the engine off.

but

to answer your querry:
check brake lines for obvious issues.
hammer HARD on the brake pedal to try and burst any weakness before even starting the truck and i mean both feet and hammer down.
tires, look for uneven wear, flat spots, cracking between the treads and especially on the side wall.
steering, a bit of play is usual, similar to herding cattle between the lines.
if the coolant has been flushed then nothing more you can do there.
steering brakes cooling tires, other than jump in with your trusty head set and drive ss ll oo ww ll yy home. that is a beautiful run. are you taking 3 or 1? i would suggest you go up by Devils gate instead of the Choq, easier on the engine and more relaxing.

congrats, those old girls are becoming very hard to find.

Cool! bring some bailing wire to hang parts that fall off along the way (exhaust, etc) and some ibuprophen for your sore face after all of the smiling you'll be doing....

bring a few :wrench:'s for good measure

Yeah Wayne, I'm not as worried as the post may seem. Just looking for things I should be prepared for. Actually a big part of the reason for this thread was I am real excited about it and was bursting at the seams to tell some body.

I'm bringing tools in case I need them and will be travelling slow. I've got 4 days to do a ten hour trip so it should be fun. I was thinking hwy 3 but Hells Gate would be good too. I guess I'll decide when I get to Hope. It's the engine I'm most worried about. I don't want to cause any damage is all.

understood, i would be excited as well...

i used to LOVE drives like that, unknown vehicle, open road

now i use a float and truck or rail.

I'm all packed and leaving in the am. Wave if you see my big grin drive by...

i do believe i saw your grin reflected in the sky last night as i laid there thinking about that drive...

Never tought of filminh the trip? Its something i would watch on discovery....
Safe journey!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD... fun starts where the road ends

Any updates on Route? Hope all is well with the new toy

I think he was driving back today, he said he wanted to attend the meeting tonight but likely wouldnt be back in time. Hopefully it`ll go well and he`ll have some pics over the weekend.

Kevin`s been working on his 45 for so long and hasnt had a wheeler to use for the weekends that I think he`s been getting frustrated with the rest of the club having adventures, so hopefully now that he`s got a running 42 we will see him out on a regular basis.

EDIT: I think the real `test`wont be wether Kevin can get it back to calgary without a breakdown, so much as wether he can repair it to pass inspection without it becoming a frame off! ;p

Last edited:
i had been thinking the same thing ...
:hmm:
... so much as wether he can repair it to pass inspection without it becoming a frame off! ;p

ya, the holes in the steel look like he could get away with a bit of "mig patching" or fiberglass, but why go to the effort of doing something half assed when you'll only have to do it again later properly, which in the bigger picture I am sure is part of the plan.

And Im not sure doing things "half ass'd" is in Kevins nature, or maybe even ability.

On the other hand, for those who are looking to replace corners or the parts rotted out, maybe someone will have some for sale in the vendors section soon.

aluminum bandaids work well to pass safety and to get it on the road.
he needs to promise himself NOT to do any work other than maintanence till the 45 is complete.

aluminum bandaids work well to pass safety and to get it on the road.
he needs to promise himself NOT to do any work other than maintanence till the 45 is complete.

not being able to do anything to the 42 might be some helpful motivation towards finishing the 45.

The bugger's gonna have two sweet forty something series cruisers one day when he's all finished.

The only thing that ever left my BJ stranded was a pin hole in the fuel water separator...

A piece of rubber line to bypass a bad spot of metal line or bypass the fuel water separator and a couple clamps is a good idea to have, would also work for a quick power steering line fix... Also just knowing how to bleed the fuel system is a good idea especially with a rig that has a tank fuel of god only knows how old diesel!

Good luck, may the cruiser gods be with you....

Great meeting Kevin and his brother, it was a quick meeting and they were off to Victoria.

The truck had recieved, clutch master slave, fuel pump diaphram, fluids throughout except brake fluid. New water pump, flushed coolant through, thermostat yad yada.

I hope you have a great trip home:beer::beer:.

Rob

I'm in Vic now. No issues other than engine temp started to climb as soon as I got comfortable at 90kph and pushed to 100. Temps came back down as soon as I slowed down. 27C at the time according to my brothers Matrix.

Had to downshift to 3rd on the Malahat near the top to drop temps again. Currently thinking of taking the Coq overnight for cooler temps.

Pics in a min

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom