Builds 81 bj42 build..... trusty rusty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, here goes.:wrench: Found myself with a few weeks off and they salted the roads so I pulled the cruiser in the garage. Been at it for a few hours a day and cant wait to start working on the tub.

Main reason for doing it now is that there is still some steel to weld to. I've had it for 3 years now and my 1st one just rotted out. I admire those who recondition every part and build a showroom truck, but my goal is different. I plan to put it to good use but want it to last. So, most of the mechanical will remain as is except what needs to be done or wear and tear parts. Suggestions welcomed!

It will be slow going for now but will post pics when it gets interesting! Motivation will also be a problem so pass it on.

Here she is last week

P1020500.jpg

And today:

DSC00018.jpg

So far I'm looking for a bib, fenders, water pump and probably stock height suspension. More to come I'm sure!!

Last edited:
fender are pretty cheap right from toyota. Like 650 a pair. Trouble is they still have the same design flaws

That bib doesn't look too bad. Just cut out the cancer and weld in some fresh metal. Besides, finding another bib of that era rust free is kind of tough. The repro's that I've seen are pretty spendy, also.

Mine was pretty well rusted out at the bottom, so I did what I just suggested you do. It turned out pretty good, and it wasn't too tough.

What I started with:
new_landcruiser0005.jpg

What I ended up with (sorry, its the best pic I have on this computer - I was taking a pic of the winch and fairlead, not the bib - but you get the idea):
008.JPG

Good luck with your rebuild!

:cheers:

Nice job on the bib! Yeah, it looks pretty straightforward, but the PO has already done a job on it. may require some serious hacking.

Ok so since the last post, it got cold. Too cold. Most of my time was spent moving stuff around to get the garage insulated. Much better now, it can actually make it to t shirt weather if the heater is on 100%!

I've finished most of the firewall stuuf minus the steering, and started moving forward from the back. Looks like it was rear ended at some point, so the quarters and wheel wells were redone. They just used sheet metal ( and bondo..)which is ok, but I'm wondering if i want an original look with the indents and matching floor. I will never do this again with this truck, so maybe worth it. Thing is, at that point the 1/2 tub from EBI is starting to look good, not to mention cheaper....

Any thoughts on half tubs?

In the 2nd pic you can see the strip of metal holding the quarter on, so the gap on the other side is full of bondo....

DSC00080.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

Last edited:
Back at it....

So, It's been awhile. I've been away all but 7 days so far this year, so now it's time to get at it while I have 3 weeks off.

The tub is now completely stripped! I'm happy at how all the bolts came out. So far, haven't snapped more than 5 or 6. Shows this cruiser is from the west!! Tomorrow i will pick up some gas for my welder and start cutting into the tub. Plan is to patch the front bits and replace the rear half. The PO did an ok job, but i want the original look and all the rust gone.

I ordered some panels from 4 wheel auto, namely the rear quarters (16 guage), sill kit with uprights and original toyota fenders. I still need to find a floor and wells, but Dan at 4 wheel is working to source some for his buisness so i'll wait and see.

I was backing out of the garage one day and the light bar caught on the door subsequently bending my winshield frame. :bang:Managed to bang at it a bit tonight and looks like it may pop back... hope so!
Anybody got tricks to remove the windshield? Will search the forum too.

DSC00658.jpg

Also got an order from sor, just stocking up on weatherstripping and small bits for later. Starting to think about color... I want ot stay stock but so many good choices... That's it for now!

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00660.jpg

Last edited:
good job man! i'll be following your progress closely. i'm about half way ( I hope - colour should be going on the tub in the next week or so) through my 81.

Keep up the good work!

INMHO, the stock dune beige is the best color. That's what mine was before the PO painted it orange. Don't mind orange, but much prefer the dune beige. Stay factory and original; much better.

Good luck with it! I wish I could tear into mine right now.....

I read that you were selling your FRP fenders- where did you source your new steel fenders?

Pete

I got one fender from 4wheelauto in Edmonton, and one from my local Toyota dealer. Both are factory originals,so I'm pretty stoked about that. The dealer still can get the front left, but it seems the front right is obsolete.

Today I find out if I'm getting a deal on a reasonable size compressor. We'll see. Also decided to go for a 5 speed transmission that will need to be rebuilt, but come with all the info of it's previous life. Work work work work!!

Last edited:
So. Got a new compressor to help out with the work ahead. Been wanting one for a few years now and finally have the excuse to get one. Managed to unload it quite easily with a bit of creative rigging.

Other than that, floor pans and quarters on the way. I'm at a standstill until the pans get here since it would be nice to have the access to fix other issues with the floor out. I dont want to cut anything until i have the panels to measure off of.

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

Left front tire on the Kubota looks a little low. The CFO will not let me have one, sigh.

Not getting much done on the truck unfortunately. It's been a busy week of getting the compressor setup, waiting for parts and the dog needed to be spayed.

Finally got the compressor properly setup with a magnetic starter. It was a bit of a pain to figure out but thanks to the internet, voila!

DSC00713.jpg

Now I can use proper tools! a sandblast cabinet is in the future and I will do some of the painting myself. It will be good to have around for the next 40 years anyways.

Received panels from 4 wheel in Edmonton, and I must say I'm not totally satisfied. The passenger floor pan looks like a high school project and will need more bending to fit properly. I will probably end up patching the floor myself despite the fact that i wanted it to look close to stock. anyone want a passenger floor pan? The driver floor pan is of much better quality but will need to be massaged into place as well. Rear quarters and sill kit look good too but the cutouts for the marker lights are crooked. I hope the lights cover the hole so I wont need to fix it. The front fender showed up with a dent in it, so dhl will come by and assess. That really peaved me since they are pretty hard to get.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r59/ihatepickingausername/DSC00711.jpg[/IMG

][IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r59/ihatepickingausername/DSC00712.jpg

I gobed some weld below the pillar to hold it up better than the corrosion that was there. Ugly, I know, but functional.

DSC00715.jpg

Driver floor pan out

DSC00714.jpg

Did I mention getting the gas tank out was a bitch?:bang: Glad it's done. Bought the 5 speed, just gotta sort out shipping.

That's all for now!

Last edited:
So DHL came today and assessed my fender, guy says they may buy me a new one. Works for me! My time has been spent cleaning up dog puke from the tacoma seat (took it apart and washed the cloth, then reassemble) and getting ready for work. Going to hit Charlotte and Baltimore this time, a quick 10 days.

Cruiser wise, got the driver floor pan in and I'm quite happy. Nice to have new metal. did some patch work on the passenger side and ended up chasing thin sheet metal with the welder a bit. Would be nice to replace the whole thing but I cant find a panel I like. Besides which, I plan to do bed liner on the floor pans anyways. Anybody done this before? suggestions?

I'm also trying to find out the rocker panel dimension, but no one has aswered me yet. Just need the height from the door sill.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/465400-rocker-panel-dimensions.html

Here you see the panel as it came to me. Needed to massage and cut it into place.

DSC00720.jpg

Panel tacked
DSC00722.jpg

Final welded, you can see in the bottom right the welding up of the cut that I did to fit it.

DSC00723.jpg

Passenger side before

DSC00726.jpg

Passenger side after

DSC00733.jpg

See ya in a few weeks!

Back at it.

It's nice to get back at it. I did some shopping and will buy the rest of the panels for the rear hopefully this week. Seems like they are all made in columbia but prices vary widely..... strange.

I must admit it took some courage to finally chop into the tub... This is my first attempt at anything of this scale. Got the sill ready to install but now i need to find new body mount bolts since the ones there are kaput. I'm guessing I need to weld them into the sill beam or cut a hole in the sill skin to access them. Welding may be the choice since i don't have the nice indents around where the hole would be..... Any thoughts?

The 5 speed trans. has been on my mind a lot. The prospect of rebuilding it with limited tools and experience is a little overwhelming. Also looking at a new h55 but can't find a clear answer as how to swap the input and input retainer. Do i need to machine the shaft? Rob from radd cruisers did a writeup which seems clear, but pics of his tools would help.

Still need the dimension of the rockers since it will help me position the rear quarters at the right height as well.

And the pics:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r59/ihatepickingausername/DSC00746.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r59/ihatepickingausername/DSC00745.jpg

Yeah, gonna have to fit the doors up to fix that one.

DSC00748.jpg

Old sill still in one piece... but has been chopped and patched before.

DSC00751.jpg

I ground out the centering washer without knowing their purpose. Went to Home depot, got 2 washers of same ID and welded them in.

DSC00752.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

And the sill painted. I'm painting the bits that will be out of reach when assembled to at least slow down the rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom