Builds Zeke, the 1975 Wanderer and DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While working in the shop I was thinking about this, would it be cheaper/ easier and do it right, to go back to manual steering? Since you're selling anyway, just put it back to stock. I'm sure you could pick up parts on the cheap and have a nice system to sell. Food for thought.

While working in the shop I was thinking about this, would it be cheaper/ easier and do it right, to go back to manual steering? Since you're selling anyway, just put it back to stock. I'm sure you could pick up parts on the cheap and have a nice system to sell. Food for thought.
I wondered this as well. Though a sleeved and extended steering column might be the quickest fix.

Stock.

How different are they from 40s?

Pighead, which mount have you had the best luck with so far?
I'm using the one that uses the motor mount bolts. I tried the one that uses the headbolts, i still have a couple of the Mark A. mounts that won't fit because I'm running a Scout box.

20230403_190936.jpg

20230402_154208.jpg

20220303_095628.jpg

Last edited:
Did preliminary pricing of used manual steering systems and No Thank You. Darn those things are expensive.

So I removed the current column and cut it with the intent of sleeving and welding it. Turns out that correct diameter sleeving material is not available around here so Amazon should have the world's most expensive piece of steel tube to me by Wednesday.

IMG_20230403_213019112.jpg

While it's too late for your dom tubing order, posting this for others in the future if you can't source it cheaper locally. Prices are reasonable for short lengths.

Dom tubing

Also, the PS pump mount that Pighead is using can be sourced from Georg at Valley Hybrids. He makes that style.

While it's too late for your dom tubing order, posting this for others in the future if you can't source it cheaper locally. Prices are reasonable for short lengths.

Dom tubing

Also, the PS pump mount that Pighead is using can be sourced from Georg at Valley Hybrids. He makes that style.
Amazon was slightly cheaper than any of the online tubing places. The online metal places pound you up the *ss for shipping

Last edited:
One of the problems with locating the saginaw way up front as the original modifier did, is that it puts the steering column in a place where nearly every power steering pump adapter interferes with its operation. Especially the motor mount kind, which would take up exactly the space where my steering column would run through.

I've decided to lengthen the column and see if I can modify the current botch job of a pump bracket in order to give this setup the best possible chances at success.

The steering issues in Zeke originated with a) stretching the rag joint to get it to fit right and b) inability to tighten the power steering pump belt.

We have the technology. We can make Zeke better than before. Only I don't want to spend $6 million in the process. ;)

Despite my marginal welding skills and chinesium mig welder I somehow apparently fixed a thing.

IMG_20230406_141508419.jpg

IMG_20230406_144527574.jpg

IMG_20230406_144531910.jpg

IMG_20230406_152052048.jpg

Working in the rain is fun. Did you know oily surfaces cause serial numbers to gather water in this way? Kinda cool.

IMG_20230406_152104461.jpg

Of course I screwed up and installed the u joint 90 degrees off so the steering wheel doesn't align anymore. Will fix that later

I fixed the pump belt adjustment by loosening the 5 bolts that hold the homemade bracket and driving a wooden wedge between the reservoir and the fender until the belt felt tight. I then retightened all the bolts and Shazam! I had a tight belt that didn't squeal and the power steering works even at left and right lock.

I had planned on going to a friend's farm in Zeke the day after the rag joint let go and building a primitive Longhunters lean to and live in it for the weekend with my dog Lela.

primitive-shelter-in-the-woods-with-a-fire-pit.jpg.webp

Picture for example, not one I've actually built.

Since the event has passed, I've decided to rig Zeke for a camping trip, also with my Lela. The plan is to find a legal place and live out of the rig while hiking forests during the day, within a reasonable drive from my house.

First step is to order a replacement rear gate latch handle, which I held my breath and did. It may or may not get here in time to go camping with Lela, but at least I'll be able to open the tailgate when it does arrive.

I got the one in black, which, after shipping, handling and tax comes out to $470, delivered. The plan is to sand it down to a reasonably smooth finish and then hit it with chrome spray paint to approximate the right color and finish.

Here's the space I have to work with.
IMG_20230412_085157285.jpg

72 x 44 inches with the spare in place. I'm 69 inches tall so should be able to build a bed platform for myself and a 53 lb dog. Probably will hinge the top for storage as well.

Just need to work around the pax side wheel well. Will pry remove the shoulder belt assembly on that side as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom