Windshield gasket replacement vendor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Malleus

Far west of Siegen
Threads
I need a glass shop who can replace and seal the gasket on an 80 series correctly. The most recent opinion I have, which I don't trust given the source, is that the sealant that is specified in the FSM is no longer available and no replacement is available, therefore the repair cannot be performed.

He told me all that was available was silicone and that it wouldn't last more than a year. He also told me that the current automotive glass urethanes will not work with the Toyota 80 series rubber gasket, because they are designed to cure dry and the Sikaflex -256 HV was not. These statements I believe.

I have a call in to Sikaflex Ireland, the only source for the current primerless Sikaflaex -256, to get an opinion on equivalency between the primer required and primerless sealants. More to follow.

1692199121422.png

1692199149316.png

1692199213967.png

Last edited:
I used Wilson's Auto Glass in Kannapolis for my 100 series windshield. I had installation concerns as well, although different than yours. I spoke with the owner/installer and he assured me that he knew about the issues with 100 series windshield installs and I was able to verify that he did the install correctly. It's been a few months and no issues so far.
They also did the passenger glass on my Taco with no issues.

Thanks. That'll be good to know when it comes time to replace the seal on the LX470.

Thanks. That'll be good to know when it comes time to replace the seal on the LX470.
Oh you don’t have to wait. You could call them now and see if he has a fix for your current issue. They work on other models besides the 100 series.

Not an answer for your 80 situation, but I used Safelite on Carrier Drive off 85 (@lt1fire ) for an LX470 windshield a few years ago. Excellent work. Told me they'd follow the FSM, and it seems they did.

But keep us posted on your 80. Let me know if you don't already have the OEM gasket.

Not an answer for your 80 situation, but I used Safelite on Carrier Drive off 85 (@lt1fire ) for an LX470 windshield a few years ago. Excellent work. Told me they'd follow the FSM, and it seems they did.

But keep us posted on your 80. Let me know if you don't already have the OEM gasket.
I don't have one - do you? It's in McGeorge's cart.

If I can't find someone who'll do it, I'm doing it myself. I have a call in to Sikaflex to verify the current -256 is equivalent to the spec -256HV. As soon as I have an answer, I'll be set. Apparently the 3M 08350 is the equivalent of the Toyota 08833-00030.

Oh you don’t have to wait. You could call them now and see if he has a fix for your current issue. They work on other models besides the 100 series.
That was on my to do list for tomorrow.

Curious what you find out. I need to replace a pitted windshield. I've had the gasket for a couple months but that's as far as I've gotten.

Curious what you find out. I need to replace a pitted windshield. I've had the gasket for a couple months but that's as far as I've gotten.
I will post an update for the good of the group.

Gasket windshields are always fun too little pressure and it wont sit right and can pop out again.... tooo much pressure and crack goes the glass. Had mine replaced at safelite when I worked there. Still seems to be holding up fine. No moisture inside my 80 at all despite sitting through a few hurricanes in Charleston.
It's not for newbs to work on we always knew which techs to give the gasket jobs to.

Gasket windshields are always fun too little pressure and it wont sit right and can pop out again.... tooo much pressure and crack goes the glass. Had mine replaced at safelite when I worked there. Still seems to be holding up fine. No moisture inside my 80 at all despite sitting through a few hurricanes in Charleston.
It's not for newbs to work on we always knew which techs to give the gasket jobs to.
Hopefully I can find someone to do it for me; I really don't want to do this in the driveway.

Any recommendations on sealants?

80 series windshield R&R

Post number 23 (from me) has some new (at least to me) information in it about the windshield gasket, sealant, sealing process, etc. Cross posting here for the good of the group.

Hopefully I can find someone to do it for me; I really don't want to do this in the driveway.

Any recommendations on sealants?
Are you in the Charlotte area? I can reach out

Before I did my windshield, I spent too much time reading through old threads about the horror stories of installing it yourself and how it was a 7 1/2 :banana: job. I had no other choice so I went looking for the materials listed in the FSM and, like you, was told they were no longer produced. I ended up getting/using 3M Windo-Weld and the associated primer for it.

I was mentally prepared for an all-night task based on what others had written. With the help of my wife on our first ever windshield install, we were done in 30-45 minutes. It just took the 3M products, some rope, HF glass suction cups, and a caulk gun. We did the rear glass too and were all in at about an hour and 15 minutes. My only regret was using a standard caulk gun with the lowest thrust ratio…my hands and forearms were toast; the Windo-Weld is not a viscous product.

I went a bit overboard with the urethane and had to squeeze out lumpy spots, but lesson learned for next time. It’s been about 2 1/2 years and everything seems to be holding up fine.

Are you in the Charlotte area? I can reach out
Not in the area, I am Charlotte ;)

w/in walking distance of SouthPark Mall

Before I did my windshield, I spent too much time reading through old threads about the horror stories of installing it yourself and how it was a 7 1/2 :banana: job. I had no other choice so I went looking for the materials listed in the FSM and, like you, was told they were no longer produced. I ended up getting/using 3M Windo-Weld and the associated primer for it.

I was mentally prepared for an all-night task based on what others had written. With the help of my wife on our first ever windshield install, we were done in 30-45 minutes. It just took the 3M products, some rope, HF glass suction cups, and a caulk gun. We did the rear glass too and were all in at about an hour and 15 minutes. My only regret was using a standard caulk gun with the lowest thrust ratio…my hands and forearms were toast; the Windo-Weld is not a viscous product.

I went a bit overboard with the urethane and had to squeeze out lumpy spots, but lesson learned for next time. It’s been about 2 1/2 years and everything seems to be holding up fine.
That's good to hear. Unless I can find someone who wants to work (and that's getting harder and harder these days), I'm doing it myself.

I had in the plan to get a pneumatic gun. The Sikaflex -256HV is(was) supposed to be "high viscosity", presumably requiring Popeye to squeeze it out (or maybe it was so it didn't flow out all over the place and require hours of cleanup). Now it seems everyone is packaging the commercial adhesive in sausage casings, so you really have no choice but to use an "automatic" gun.

Worst comes to worst, I'll have another side job to add to the shingle.

No idea, it's not a tool I look for, but thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom