Windshield gasket replacement vendor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Malleus I did a bunch of research on the same topic but, after looking for 15-20 min, I can't find record of my order or a partial tube of what I used. I do remember being able to find an acceptable substitute (though I know that's not much help to you).

Regarding installation - you can certainly do it yourself with a helper. I hired an old school guy who knew how to install using a rope to pull the inner lip of the gasket from the inside and I helped / made sure he followed the instructions from the FSM religiously. Knock on wood, no leaks.

I think did the back glass myself using the same method and sealant with the same result. My wife helped and we are still married so that should tell you the level of effort required.

I'll most likely be taking windshield out of my 93 at some point to fix some rust spots and repair paint.

My understanding, the polyurethane used with the rubber gasket is just being used as a sealant? Not as an adhesive? The rubber holds the glass in place.
More modern cars, windshields are glued directly to the frame and contribute to structural rigidity, so adhesive spec is more critical.
Be interested to see others thoughts on that.

I'll most likely be taking windshield out of my 93 at some point to fix some rust spots and repair paint.

My understanding, the polyurethane used with the rubber gasket is just being used as a sealant? Not as an adhesive? The rubber holds the glass in place.
More modern cars, windshields are glued directly to the frame and contribute to structural rigidity, so adhesive spec is more critical.
Be interested to see others thoughts on that.
That's the idea, according to the patent (post #14).

Attachments

• 5,766,703 Mori, et alia (21DEC1995).pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
Just spoke with TW Wilson in Kannapolis. They won't consider looking at the job until November. Unreal.

Are you in the Charlotte area? I can reach out
Any thoughts on a substitute sealant? I'm leaning toward Sikaflex 255, or 3M 08693.
1693334028686.png

Last edited:
So, pending the off-chance delivery of sealant, I'm installing a new seal this weekend. Anyone who wants to come by and lend a hand is welcome.

Last edited:
Crisis averted (hopefully). Matt Trotter (whose records are fortunately much better than mine) is going to take care of the problem for me. He's previously replaced the windshields in both my '95 and '08 LX570, but I couldn't find the receipts or contact info. Fortunately for me Michael Mirek at Hendrick Lexus is always handy with a recommendation if I need one, and he had Matt's number. The Trotters do all the glass work for Lexus.

Neither of the previous windshields he replaced for me have developed leaks and it's been years since both jobs.

Dang came to post I just got off the horn with my old manager and had a name for you to ask for at Safelite Charlotte to take care of you. Shoot me a PM if you want it but it looks like you are taken care of.

I appreciate the effort! If my recordkeeping wasn't so poor, I would have had this done along ago.

Matt stopped by today to look at the problem child. What I though was old sealant under the gasket turns out to be dirt, collected from years of highway driving. The replacement windshield and gasket were aftermarket and neither was glued in place. I don't know how it didn't leak from day one.

Matt says he can get a replacement glass for a little over $100 and didn't want to risk removing glass that old without a replacement on hand. Initially, we discussed returning the new glass if the old didn't break during removal and installation, but for that money, given the age and superficial damage (the notorious Star Wars pattern), I think we're going to replace the glass and gasket.

I'll post details of Matt's process next week when we get the job done. I'll also post photos of the inside of his work van. He has more Toyota part number stickers than I do; the van's wallpapered with them.

Staying tuned - I need a competent mobile installer in Charlotte for my 60 windshield (I already have the glass and seal) and hoping for a referral that can do it without leaks or messing up the headliner which glues around the a-pillar and roof seams.

Staying tuned - I need a competent mobile installer in Charlotte for my 60 windshield (I already have the glass and seal) and hoping for a referral that can do it without leaks or messing up the headliner which glues around the a-pillar and roof seams.
Success! Matt Trotter solved the problem in very little time with no drama.

Success! Matt Trotter solved the problem in very little time with no drama.

I called Matt to get my 60 windshield put in, and went pretty disastrously. To be fair, it's a 40-year old vehicle, I'm re-using aftermarket glass (although it is the most common Fuyao replacement) and new aftermarket seal (Precision 425), but he wasn't able to install it. He worked in to the evening in my garage, but had to pull it back out before heading home. My truck has urethane residue all around the frame and the headliner is in much worse shape than when he started and now hanging down from the header panel.

He said he'd reach out for a time to come back and try again, however has been 3 days and no contact and unreturned voicemail to him. Hoping this works out, but fair to say if anyone has another trusted contact in Charlotte I'm in quick need of help.

I called Matt to get my 60 windshield put in, and went pretty disastrously. To be fair, it's a 40-year old vehicle, I'm re-using aftermarket glass (although it is the most common Fuyao replacement) and new aftermarket seal (Precision 425), but he wasn't able to install it. He worked in to the evening in my garage, but had to pull it back out before heading home. My truck has urethane residue all around the frame and the headliner is in much worse shape than when he started and now hanging down from the header panel.

He said he'd reach out for a time to come back and try again, however has been 3 days and no contact and unreturned voicemail to him. Hoping this works out, but fair to say if anyone has another trusted contact in Charlotte I'm in quick need of help.

*Update

Matt came back this afternoon to attempt with some different methods, and cracked the glass. He's ordering a new one thankfully and didn't request payment for his time so far, but told me someone else needs to install. Obviously disappointed in the results, but overall with Matt's professionalism (constant cursing, slamming the doors on my vehicle in anger) and had expected me to clean up the urethane and fix the headliner from his first attempt. After mentioning I was referred from the LC forums, he said "take me off that sh*t".

So left in a hole and not sure who I can contact to get this done.

I'm sorry to hear that. That doesn't sound like him. He's replaced three windshields for me over the past 20 years and I've never had a bad experience. He's the Toyota and Lexus windshield repair subcontractor.

Something else must have been going on, outside of the job.

Updating here - Wilson's in Kannapolis (glass contractor for TLC 4x4) installed professionally in about an hour at my home. Highly recommend.

Wilson's Auto Glass Inc. - https://wilsonsautoglass.com/index.html
Do you remember who came out to do the work? I recently purchased a 2000 Hundy and it’s leaking on the windshield corners. Whoever did the previous windshield used self tapping screws. They might be too far from me (Advance/Clemmons) but would drive to a quality shop. Just need it fixed appropriately!! Thankful for this thread 😁

Wilson’s Auto glass is coming to my shop to do my truck. I will let you know how he does. I have to glass guys and i am looking to change the people to do the day to day at the shop. I hope this works.

Wilson’s Auto glass is coming to my shop to do my truck. I will let you know how he does. I have to glass guys and i am looking to change the people to do the day to day at the shop. I hope this works.
Awesome, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom