Where can I decode my FJ40's VIN number? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm confused on mine, I supposedly bought a 67 fj40 but the VIN is FJ4045203. As near as I can tell by the chart it is a 1966?

hi! i'm also trying to decode my fj40 vin information.. all i have is the number FJ40901367. It's supossed to be a 76 one. Im from venezuela, and dont know if its any different from the US...

I need your modle # from your firewall ID data plate tag

@JohnnyC is Correct , many South America countries fell under the " Global-Spec " category , they had there own DATA ID plate spec's & Puzzling variations

this would be another example of a fj40 from Venezuela

one would assume a 1968 model year , but that cant be confirmed yet ..............

2fd284e0-b4f8-4813-871f-e4adf1c0b806.jpg

This was a Dealership Only Parts Dept. issued manual , It breaks down the Model Codes & Frame #'s , has Year by Year charts & more

View attachment 1682515 View attachment 1682516

Really not much information that can't be easily found else where. Toyota seems to have forgotten by 3/69 they had been importing Land Cruisers for ten years. Where is the support for those. According to C Dan that started in 1979. Prior to 1/75 really no useful information on the VIN plaque. Most my FJ40LVs are Stamped FJ40L. Do not recall ever seeing the A for a soft top model. Seen some here think because there was a V in the model they think their hard top model is was a soft top. From 3/69-1/75 shows three different transmissions. 3H three on the column, 3F three on the three on the floor and 4F four on the floor. No date or VIN on changes. That information really means nothing towards know what was in a cruiser during that time period. Maybe other markets with the extra digits had more useful information. Up until 75 really nothing useful on the VIN plaque. Still nothing compared to Mopar back then. Everytime I see the claim of a all matching number FJ40 I laugh. After the mid sixties Toyota dropped the engine serial from the plaque and unless you have some of the original paper work there is no way to prove what engine was in it when it left the factory. Every else could be correct for the vehicle but come from a another cruiser.

@Dave5863

Nothing really too confusing... it was built in 66 ... but... is a 67’ model year cruiser

A 1967 model year cruiser built, sold and bought in 66
What month does the model year manufacturing date change? If mine was built in June 66 how could it still be a 1967?

@Living in the Past ,

The Brass coin stamped with a year has something to do with this correct ?

@Living in the Past ,

The Brass coin stamped with a year has something to do with this correct ?

I'm no expert on this @JohnnyC knows more. But during the sixties sales were still slow and some Land Cruiser would be here for a year or two before they sold. Those were required to have a brass tag with the year is sold. Which was easy to do since screws we're used to hold the plaque on. The model year was on the plaque in the early years and guessing was why the tag was required. If the four FJ25s I've had two have 61 on the VIN plaque even though all we're made in 1960. Did these hit our shores in 61 so the 61 model plaque was installed at Port could be the reason or plaque was added at time of sale not sure. But neither had a brass tag. Think it was the mid sixties when those started to be used and ended before the seventies.

Anyone able to tell me a production date from this? It’s the only tag I can find and it’s different than any on sor. It’s at least a 79 because it has the changes that were made then. I just don’t the difference between 79 and 80-84

D4CF893F-35D9-4035-9931-69C8C21FB225.jpeg

Anyone able to tell me a production date from this? It’s the only tag I can find and it’s different than any on sor. It’s at least a 79 because it has the changes that were made then. I just don’t the difference between 79 and 80-84

View attachment 2804753

i have the ability to DE-CODE Most Land CRUISER Frame Numbers down to Production Date and Destination Markets :

tell me i got this right or not please ?

thanks matt

Search by VIN or Frame #:

Market
N. America
Year
4/1980
Make
TOYOTA
Model
Land CRUISER
Frame
FJ40LV-KCJA

Additional codes
ENGINE:2F:4200CC

Search Results

Search Results

VIN*Model codeFromToFrame Characteristics
JT3FJ40C..FJ40LV-KCJAFJ40 USA Spec. N. America VAN 2F4FVKC RB

This is nothing less then the most important and well valuable factory ONLY dealership parts dept. use only FsM I personally own in my private collection. ….

It can de-code most global spec . /. Japan spec . / Saudi Spec. And EU and USA of corse specs land cruiser and other vintage toyota Vehical frames numbers ..

Not 💯 % of these time

But indeed 9 times out of 10 rock solid results …

FFCA7124-3D0A-407A-8949-74A8C2351985.jpeg
13400673-78A5-4AB4-89BB-E1D19534C78F.jpeg
7C07D9DA-3CB8-4594-B27B-531DF90219AF.jpeg
1AE2B91C-EFE3-4314-8CA7-B21C26232A3B.jpeg
30CAF17D-4C53-4366-A0E7-B9D0292E03CF.jpeg

i have the ability to DE-CODE Most Land CRUISER Frame Numbers down to Production Date and Destination Markets :

tell me i got this right or not please ?

thanks matt

Search by VIN or Frame #:

Market
N. America
Year
4/1980
Make
TOYOTA
Model
Land CRUISER
Frame
FJ40LV-KCJA

Additional codes
ENGINE:2F:4200CC

Search Results

Search Results

VIN*Model codeFromToFrameCharacteristics
JT3FJ40C..FJ40LV-KCJAFJ40 USA Spec. N. America VAN 2F4FVKC RB
So mine is a 1980?

Just as Matt said, 04/1980 so yes, that is a 1980, assuming it's a US model.

North America model numbers end in either K for Canada or A for the US. This is a US model.

F = six cylinder petrol engine
J = Land Cruiser
4 = series
0 = model in that series
L = left hand drive
V = Van (hard top)
-
K = four speed transmission
C = Ambulance doors
J = Roll Bar
A = built for US market

North America model numbers end in either K for Canada or A for the US. This is a US model.

F = six cylinder petrol engine
J = Land Cruiser
4 = series
0 = model in that series
L = left hand drive
V = Van (hard top)
-
K = four speed transmission
C = Ambulance doors
J = Roll Bar
A = built for US market
Fantastic. So is the month and year correct? Sorry I missed the "A" on a VIN plate that's a bit hard to read. Good info though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom