Where can I decode my FJ40's VIN number? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
So I have a 1973 FJ40, and I want to decode my vin. I have tried every website out there, and they all say my vin has "not enough characters" or it's "invalid". My vin is 10 characters, and is like FJ40XXXXXX. (Six numbers after "FJ40".)

Where can I decode this vin, or get some information on my truck? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Up to about '72 VINs were 5 digits. Your '73 is correct with 6.

Not much to decode from an FJ40 VIN other than the order it was produced and the specifics tied to its manufacture date.

Up to about '72 VINs were 5 digits. Your '73 is correct with 6.

Not much to decode from an FJ40 VIN other than the order it was produced and the specifics tied to its manufacture date.
Yeah but I'd like to know the paint code and some other information to determine whether the engine is original or not.

Yeah but I'd like to know the paint code and some other information to determine whether the engine is original or not.

Best way to do that is post some pics and the engine serial #. Like mentioned above, the Spector Offroad VIN chart will only tell you month and year of manufacture.

the vin will not tell you that.

Unbolt / look under / scrape something to find the paint color :)
To my knowledge, my paint is original and there are 3 colors very similar to mine. I don't know exactly which one is mine, since my paint has faded too much over its 45 years to tell.

Fj40 manufactured May 73’

One of the 31067 40 series exported in 73’ out of the total 32816 40 series manufactred in 73’

Engine is also in the 5/73’ time frame ... an F155 valve cover oil filler with remote oil canister ... most likely original

Last edited:

One of the 31067 40 series exported in 73’ out of the total 32816 40 series manufactred in 73’

Engine is also in the 5/73’ time frame ... an F155 valve cover oil filler with remote oil canister ... most likely original
Thanks you very much. How did you get this information from my VIN/engine numbers?

For the record up until the 81 model the VIN was just FJ40 and serial number after that. Earlier had the late number of the production year at the start. 81 and later had to have a seventeen digit VIN in the US. If there was useful information in the extra digits I don't know. Other markets continued with the shorter VIN and the longer VIN was not stamped in the frame yet. The 73 model # listed on plaque under had some information. The L meant left hand drive. The body style if they bothered to stamp it was after the L. V would be a hard top. There were other letters for different soft top models that changed over the years. In the US it was common to not even bother to stamp the V for a hard top. FJ40L was common for all FJ40s prior to 75. After that the paint, transmission/transfer case and axle codes were on the plaque under the hood. The model # became a lot more detailed then to with the type of doors, the number of speeds in the transmission and market codes being added to the model#. 73 the plaque the hood contained information on the engine which is kind of funny since the F in the model told what engine it has and date on the A pillar plaque could help get any detail information for a engine from that date.

hello there, can you help me out decoding this vin number? FJ40168797

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT DECODING THIS VIN NUMBER FROM MY TOYOTA FJ40?

FJ40-168797

IT ALSO SHOWS SOME MORE DIGITS:

FJ40-LV
LT.14746'

CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT DECODING THIS VIN NUMBER FROM MY TOYOTA FJ40?

FJ40-168797

IT ALSO SHOWS SOME MORE DIGITS:

FJ40-LV
LT.14746'

Yelling will not help.

Click on the SOR links somebody posted above for date range of production. As posted above, there’s nothing to decode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom