When lifting the motor and gear boxes to install in the frame how do you keep the transfer case from rolling the whole assembly to the PS? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

POPO AGIE

SILVER Star
Threads
I have my drive train and block assembled but once the transmission and transfer case are not supported by the transmission jack it rolls and not sure how far it will go.

1706152462398.jpeg

Even when just lifting the gear boxes with the transmission jack I need to use the floor jack under the output side of the transfer case to keep it from tipping over.
I would like to stab the drive train tomorrow so that I can get the motor mounts and the crossmember support tacked in place then pull everything back out.

I do not have any jacks that will lift high enough to reach were the transmission needs to be to line up with the bell housing motor mounts to stab the bolts on both sides to set the forward aft position so the transmission is in the same location as the 4 speed was.

Last edited:
I have R/R the assembly in my 72 (F 3sp) three times by myself, and never had an issue. Removing the header and starter makes it easier to shoe horn it into the rails.

Thanks.
This is a Cummins R2.8 and H55F 5 speed with a split transfer case. This transfer case is a lot heaver with the 3:1 low range then the 4 speed transfer case was.

I dropped the 4 speed and transfer case with a rope to the floor when I removed them in the 90s by myself.

I pulled the 155F and the bell housing a few days ago and it came right out no problem.

I knew by looking it was big monster. I think the easiest and fastest way is make a new lifting eye offset towards the side it wants to roll towards. There should be a balance line for the center of rotation, you could also try placing a few bags of shot on the lite side to move the center.

Lifting set up so far.

Will run to Casper, WY to pick up a HD high lift transmission jack from HF to assist getting the drive train in and out of the frame.

1706199488795.jpeg

I need to use the bell housing mounts to set the datum of the drive train and lift the gear boxes to mount the new crossmember under the transmission.

That is one sexy set up, nice, I would let it tilt until tcase is in tunnel then put the black jack in just like in pick and use foot on handle of black jack to push back as you push hoist in at same time.

I have thought about that but this front case has the oil filter mounted on the back side of the oil cooler. There are supposed to be adapters in the kit to convert to a remote filter and may have to do that so the filter does not clash with the DS frame.

I am also thinking of getting a 3/4 ton come along to help level the load until I can put some weight on a transmission jack.

level it out with jack as soon as tcase gets past axle, the long, hanging, huge arse filter should be clear. Never heard of up travel limited by oil filter.
Did you go with the 4.0 low gears in the splitcase ?

level it out with jack as soon as tcase gets past axle, the long, hanging, huge arse filter should be clear. Never heard of up travel limited by oil filter.
Did you go with the 4.0 low gears in the splitcase ?
I had 3:1 installed in the transfer case. The up travel is not limited by the oil filter but when it lifts the whole assembly rotates to the PS and the oil filter goes toward the frame. I am going to have to figure out the conversion kit for the oil filter and remove the filter. I don't want it that low anyway.

1706203595744.jpeg

I reached out to Overland Cruisers in MT that made the conversation kit and they know full well about the transfer case rolling the whole assembly.

They said to get it as level as possible in the transverse direction and use a transmission jack to take some of the load once in the frame to get the new crossmember in place and bolt up the bell housing motor mounts to help support and set the datum so the the new mounts can be tacked.

I haven’t done it often but I usually set the engine in the chassis then the tranny transfer after , two piece install.
The transfer case would roll on my small transmission jack and need the floor jack to keep it from tipping over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom