What you need to know about 100 series aftermarket wheel options (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Help! Should I rattle can my stock 18’s or buy aftermarket… ?

7DDB9718-2979-406C-8693-644EE004414C.jpeg

3FEACCE7-7D86-4756-B69E-A401EED6DCF6.jpeg

Are you asking if you should spend $1600-$2400 on aftermarket wheels or $80 on spray paint and prep materials?

I think that is one of those questions that if you're even asking, you know the answer. If you think you could live with them painted, seems like the an easy and inexpensive way to find out, and in the event you don't like it, you can just buy the aftermarket then.

... and man that will look great with grey or black wheels!

At that time I was running 35mm offset wheels with 33x12.50 tires with stock AHC. The only place they rubbed was under full compression the tire would rub the frame on the rear at full stuff. Now I run 35x12.50's on 17 inch wheels with zero offset and have Old Man Emu medium duty springs in the rear and have larger bumpstops, no rubbing with the new setup...

View attachment 2790939
Which wheel are you running?

E4FFB867-9986-408C-A2C4-13482D15EFAE.png
I just ordered these …. 17x8.5 with -6 offset and 35’s. Woah … I know what your thinking but let me elaborate. I realize I’m moving everything outboard 66 mm and making the vehicle track about 5 inches wider overall. And at first glance it might seem I’m gonna be buying new fenders.

But … BUT … they are 255/85r17. Originally I was going to get method bead grip in a zero offset, I like those wheels. Another user on here ran the Rubicon Trail in his hundo with 35 inch trepadores on methods and a zero offset. That tire 31mm wider on the outer and inner side and 62mm overall. With a zero offset he was able to just barely clear the fenders. So within -6 offset and 255s I will still be nearly a full inch in board of where those Treps were sitting. Maybe even better than that as 255 is the fattest portion of the tire and not the tread width, which is only 9.8 inches. So even with the -6 offset I should be able to tuck those 35 inch tires up just fine. I never wanna get rid of the AHC, but I did put a 31mm body lift on the front and a 25mm body lift on the back, each body lift mount was reduced by about a millimeter digressing from front to back. I felt like the front of the truck needed to look just a little bit higher, I’m not into that raked dragster look so much. So that’s all been done, frame sliders welded on and gusseted, just waiting on these wheels and tires to come.

Finding actual beadlocks for this truck was arduous. Plenty of selections for the simulated beadlocks but I’m looking for function, these tall skinny‘s need to be aired way down to go through the sand down in Mexico. I’m going to do the hub bore in 110.3mm … they custom make these wheels so you can get them spec’s however you want.

I ordered them actually from trail built off-road … and they are going to mount the bead locks with balancing beads and ship them to me for free. They were even installing new TPMS sensors because I will run two sets. I’m keeping my 18 inch stock wheels with just some regular ATs in 33 inch flavor For those highway trips. I’m hoping that my lockers and gears will be in before these 35s get here. I’m doing the transfer case reduction as well. I figure with fuel prices as cheap as they are I might as well take advantage of it.

Curious to see if anyone else has done any crazy experimentation like this? I’ll definitely be posting back onto this thread once everything gets installed and I’ll let you know if I made some erroneous errors in my maths.

Hey Everyone! This is a great thread and appreciate everyone’s comments overtime. I have a question about a setup I am eyeing to purchase and want to get some thoughts. I am looking at a set of Methods 312 18x9 +18 offset wrapped in Toyo MTs 33x12.5x18. For context, I am running SPC UCAs and a OME 2 inch lift kit. Has anyone had a similar set up? Any thoughts on this? I don’t think I will need any mods but wanted to ask the group just in case anyone has had experience with a similar set up. Thank you in advance!

Erick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom