What you need to know about 100 series aftermarket wheel options (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Hundyheads! I've been getting a good amount of questions about aftermarket wheel fitment, stance, and tire size options. This thread will share all of the information I have through my research and first hand experience. I will address in a general way wheel sizes, offsets, and tire options that worked for me. This should give you enough information to make an informed decision when it comes to what you are considering. Use my example as base line numbers and do the math for sizes you are considering. It should give you a good idea if you are going to have fitment issues.

Before we get started you should have a very good idea on how you plan on using your hundy. Heavy off road? Pavement princess? Do you have a certain tire size that you want to run? Research your tires first for your application. Bigger tires do not work well with most aftermarket wheels and a fully compressed suspension. Even if your hundy will be a pavement princess you can run into situations that will bottom out your suspension and cause damage by bending fender lips and tearing out wheel well liners. You may find aftermarket is not an option for the tire application you need.

Some may say...I'm going to run a lift that will prevent issues with bigger tires. Unfortunately, a lift will not keep your hundy from bending up that pretty sheet metal with a poor wheel and tire choice. If it will rub at stock height it will rub lifted. The only thing a lift does is start your suspension travel in a higher location and it still bottoms out in the same position as stock. Even with the added stiffer torsion bars and springs you will bottom out in the same stock location. It is much harder to bottom out with the lift and stiff components but you can still do damage when you do bottom out. A body lift will help to gain the extra clearance you need for large size applications.

Whats the wheel problem?

The 100 series Land Cruiser and LX470 have a very narrow window for wheel offsets and tire sizes. Throw in our protruding front hub and there are very few aftermarket wheels that will work with our vehicles. Most every aftermarket wheel that will fit is mainly produced to fit the Toyota Tundra. Luckily we share the same bolt pattern of 5x150 and from the factory use similar offsets ranging from +40mm to +55mm. The bad news is most aftermarket Tundra wheels have an offset around +25mm to +0mm. The Tundra is far more forgiving of lower offset than the 100 and this is the rub. Lower number + offset means that the wheel sticks out towards the fender. This can cause rubbing and clearance issues. To add to the problem finding an aftermarket wheel that is the stock 8 inches wide is nearly impossible. Most options will be at least 9 inches wide. This adds to the offset dilemma and decreases the already low offset wheel choices by 12.7mm. This puts things even closer to rubbing with your front fenders.

The conservative solution:

Whether you are choosing 16,17 or 18 inch wheels keep the offset +20mm or higher if running a 9 inch wide wheel. If you find a 8 inch wide wheel you can decrease your offset accordingly or increase tire width. I call this a conservative solution because running a wheel in this offset range limits you to a conservative tire size. I run a 275/70/18 on a 18x9 fuel wheel with a +20mm offset on my LX. It is on the edge of just fitting and required some minor modifications to avoid rubbing. This is what I consider to be safe. People will say you can go wider tires or lower offset but my experience with the fitment on my LX says different. I would not go lower offset or wider tire. This is conservative fitment of an aftermarket wheel that will work on a 100 series. If you want a wider tire you need either a 8 inch wheel, a shorter tire or a higher offset. Stock wheels are well suited for big tire options.

Modifications needed:

Any wheel you choose will likely need front center cap modification. The fuel wheels have a high cap and still required half inch poly washers to space the caps to fit. Keep it in mind when looking at wheels if you want to run caps.

The front fender liner will need to be remolded and flattened with a heat gun against the lower pinch weld. Easy fix.

The front fender liner where it attaches in the 12 o'clock position just inside the fender by a retainer clip needs to be pushed up flat against the inside fender. The retainer holds the liner and attaches it to a metal tab that will rub under full compression unless you push up and flat against the inner fender. Leave the liner attached when pushing up. You can do it with your fingers or block of wood.

This is how they fit.
Front
20170305_165205-L.jpg

Rear
20170305_165412-L.jpg

Fuel Trophy 18x9 +20 BFG AT 275/70/18
AHC on H

20170219_162312-L.jpg

Happy Trails!
Thanks for all the info as it is very helpful. I am currently in a dilemma of trying to find the right wheel and tire for my LX and have found it somewhat challenging. I really like the Fuel Trophy styling, however when I pull on a site to purchase I am told they do not fit, but obviously you had no issue. Also, how did you get around the front center cap/hub issue? It looks as though they fit? Any input would be great. Thanks!

Finally got the Rock Warriors on. Thanks to Jimthom for the Spidertrax spacers and the random dude on Craigslist for the Rock Warrior/lug nuts for $500. Running BFG KO2’s 285 70 17 with 1” spacers and no lift.

D857DDCE-C61E-4433-A72A-B55B17A95AF6.jpeg

26E6C1DA-B7D0-4377-864F-C875FE4A1DBC.jpeg

D3DA9072-10EA-40B5-9637-DCBFA0F79363.jpeg

Finally got the Rock Warriors on. Thanks to Jimthom for the Spidertrax spacers and the random dude on Craigslist for the Rock Warrior/lug nuts for $500. Running BFG KO2’s 285 70 17 with 1” spacers and no lift.

View attachment 2753611

View attachment 2753612

View attachment 2753613
That’s awesome. Good looking too. Do you know the offset and backspace on those wheels? I ordered some 17x8.5 Method 703’s (on back order for two months) and they have a +35mm offset and 6.2 backspace. Been a bit worried they might have issues. I want to stay away from back spacers is I can. Just curious what yours were for comparison. Let me know and we’ll done mate!

That’s awesome. Good looking too. Do you know the offset and backspace on those wheels? I ordered some 17x8.5 Method 703’s (on back order for two months) and they have a +35mm offset and 6.2 backspace. Been a bit worried they might have issues. I want to stay away from back spacers is I can. Just curious what yours were for comparison. Let me know and we’ll done mate!
Not sure what the offset or backspace is on the Rock Warriors, but they would not fit without spacers. I’m not a fan of spacers but if you stick with spidertrax or bora’s I think you will be fine.

Not sure what the offset or backspace is on the Rock Warriors, but they would not fit without spacers. I’m not a fan of spacers but if you stick with spidertrax or bora’s I think you will be fine.
The 1.25" SpiderTrax (@sleeoffroad ) machined spacers allows for the bore of the RW wheels due to the taper being slightly narrower towards the outside and will not go all the way on the 💯 hub.

The 1.25" SpiderTrax (@sleeoffroad ) machined spacers allows for the bore of the RW wheels due to the taper being slightly narrower towards the outside and will not go all the way on the 💯 hub.
Thanks gents! All good info. I’ll let you know how I go with the Method 703’s. Hopefully the end of the month they will be in. Cheers mates.

Thanks gents! All good info. I’ll let you know how I go with the Method 703’s. Hopefully the end of the month they will be in. Cheers mates.
When I called this week they said end of September and that they aren’t even sure if the center bore lip will clear the front hubs in the +35 offset 🤦‍♂️

What size Braids are you running Doc? :cool:

Those Braids look nice! I’ll look into those if the Methods don’t work. The Methods 703 have a 110.5 center bore and the hubs on my 2006 lx470 are 110.1 so hopefully there is no issue there. And I verified the wheels are lug centric and if so I shouldn’t have to worry about the slight difference in center bore sizes. I told the guy is the Methods delay beyond end Aug I’ll look at other options. Braids maybe? Thanks for the feedback all.

Just looked up the Braids. They are not cheap eh?! They look like you can make custom. Did you customize your for offset?
Not cheap, but not outrageous for quality wheels. ~$500/wheel I think. They are *all* made custom to you. There is no standard. You tell them what offset you want and they ensure the proper lug and center bore fitment for your vehicle.

If I do go to an aftermarket wheel, my plan has always been to go with Evo Corse Dakar wheels, which I think look really good on a Land Cruiser, but those Braids are giving me pause.

I was looking at the Evo Corse as well. After speaking with Paul @ Braid, I was sold. They're all about making great quality wheels that should last a lifetime.

Evo Corse are barely cheaper and I had a hard time determining that 100% a spacer was not needed for the 100. I think it's fine, but I recall having some hesitation. Braid was very clear that they would make it fit with no spacer. I like the Winrace S styling better as well. More sleek.

:cheers:

AHC or how much lift are you running?

Zero lift. Stock AHC heights. Plan to keep AHC forever and unlikely that I'll do any sort of lift. Factory AHC is plenty, IMO.

I was looking at the Evo Corse as well. After speaking with Paul @ Braid, I was sold. They're all about making great quality wheels that should last a lifetime.

Evo Corse are barely cheaper and I had a hard time determining that 100% a spacer was not needed for the 100. I think it's fine, but I recall having some hesitation. Braid was very clear that they would make it fit with no spacer. I like the Winrace S styling better as well. More sleek.

Interesting! I'll have to look into Braid now, though I somewhat prefer the Evo aesthetically. If Braid makes something I think is better looking and will guarantee the fit, even better.

That being said, new wheels would be very far down my list of upgrades.

Interesting! I'll have to look into Braid now, though I somewhat prefer the Evo aesthetically. If Braid makes something I think is better looking and will guarantee the fit, even better.

Yeah, I view wheels as icing on the cake. This is the first set of new wheels I've ever purchased. Only took this auto-obsessed guy 18 years into the hobby to finally make it happen, haha.

Yeah, I view wheels as icing on the cake. This is the first set of new wheels I've ever purchased. Only took this auto-obsessed guy 18 years into the hobby to finally make it happen, haha.

I've never once purchased a wheel in the 10+ years I've been wrenching and modding stuff. Perhaps there will come a day....

FYI Braid offers much of what Evo looks like IMO. I was on the Evo boat, too, but all things weighed equally I'm sold on the USA part of the whole thing,

FYI Braid offers much of what Evo looks like IMO. I was on the Evo boat, too, but all things weighed equally I'm sold on the USA part of the whole thing,
'MERICA

EC7ED179-628C-4FCF-9EB6-CF4B182476F0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• cbbr
Back
Top Bottom