What work can I get done at 250k when pulling the transmission out of 1FZ-FE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, the freeze plug is still what they think it is. People here say it's rare and unlikely so I'm looking to get another mechanic to look at it soon I just haven't had time. I'm going to keep assuming it's the freeze plugs for this conversation.

Last edited:
Man that’s an expensive unknown! I think you need to evaluate what your goals are with this rig and if they are lining up with your finances. Nothing about owning a 30 year old suv is cheep especially if you are not doing your own work. If you pull the engine you should do the head it’s a common issue with rigs that have sub par cooling systems and especially ones that are overheated. With the engine out it’s an easy job but yes gonna cost a couple grand. Let’s say they pull it and the freeze plug is ok and the leak was from the heater lines. I feel like you need a proper diagnosis even if that means paying another shop to diagnose. I don’t see why they could not use an inspection camera or watch the engine from below and see where the leak is coming from. I have rebuilt a few engines and never had a freeze plug issue they are stainless and do not corrode. Even if the engine is overheated the head gasket goes before the plugs. I’m just trying to be objective looking from the outside. Bring it home clean the crap out of the areas mentioned and run your engine and observe. Hard to believe a shop could not see the culprit.

Man that’s an expensive unknown! I think you need to evaluate what your goals are with this rig and if they are lining up with your finances. Nothing about owning a 30 year old suv is cheep especially if you are not doing your own work. If you pull the engine you should do the head it’s a common issue with rigs that have sub par cooling systems and especially ones that are overheated. With the engine out it’s an easy job but yes gonna cost a couple grand. Let’s say they pull it and the freeze plug is ok and the leak was from the heater lines. I feel like you need a proper diagnosis even if that means paying another shop to diagnose. I don’t see why they could not use an inspection camera or watch the engine from below and see where the leak is coming from. I have rebuilt a few engines and never had a freeze plug issue they are stainless and do not corrode. Even if the engine is overheated the head gasket goes before the plugs. I’m just trying to be objective looking from the outside. Bring it home clean the crap out of the areas mentioned and run your engine and observe. Hard to believe a shop could not see the culprit.
The first sentence in this reply is perfect. The last sentence is a close second in the race to perfection.

Yo man.

Wow this is a nuts thread. There IS a plug in the head. Ask me how I know. I can show you many pictures of mine, NOT in its appropriate location in the back of the cylinder head.

You can absolutely do a head gasket (head job) with the engine in the truck. Again, ask me (or countless others) how I know. Got pictures of this too, if you'd like.

This feels a lot like someone has a loaded shotgun and they are just randomly firing it into a dark room.

There are only a few places where rusty water can come from the back of the engine and "spill down across the transmission". All can be inspected with the engine in the truck.

It is somewhat straightforward to (temporarily) bypass the front and rear heaters to rule them out as culprits, which at the back of the engine only leaves like THREE things, and you say that two (PHH and Cylinder head) have already been determined as not the issue.

The heater core lines for both front and rear CAN drain in a way that would end up on your transmission, though to my mind, that should seem pretty obvious. The heater control valve fails on older trucks, it definitely drips straight down the back of the engine, and would do as you describe, though it also should be pretty obvious.

Ive dealt with two headgasket failures in recent years on two trucks, and neither dumped coolant. Not saying it cant happen, just saying it didn't. They have their own symptoms which have been documented many times over.

Dude, take a deep breath and think about this from the point of view of systems. There is nothing magic here, it's a straight six truck engine, simpler than a lot.

"Mechanics" and "Technicians" who can't diagnose the location of a coolant leak without pulling the engine frighten me.

Talk to Mike, @Shoppy Owner of nelson's Garage. He's a wizard with the 80s
IMHO it would be worth the drive
805 995 3658

Hello mud, I wanted to update the thread with the results. First, thanks to everyone for their recommendations, as a noob learning about this truck it's nice to have a community.

I ended up taking it to a land-cusier-specific shop. Mudrak in Sonoma. I met with Gary the owner who was sure it was a PHH issue. Together we pressure-tested the system and saw some leaking from the PHH. While it was lightly leaking from the PHH, it was a waterfall coming from the back of the engine and dripping down to the ground. He said he would replace the PHH and see. He called me the next day saying that I had a head gasket leak coming from the back of #6. He mentioned he had never seen that before but I would unfortunately need a new head gasket. After 2 weeks I got my 80 back with a new head gasket. It cost around 6k for the work out the door.

I don't trust mechanics, but at least Gary seemed like a very stand-up guy who seems to be very much a if it ain't broke don't fix it person. I'm hoping this repair gets me 100k more trouble-free miles on my 80.

@TheGreenAppa : Did the mechanic (or you) get photos of the bad headgasket and the deck and rear of the block where the leak was? Those would be informative for the forum to see if you could post them up.

Last edited:
That was a very fast turnaround!
Were all OEM parts used ?
What was done while they were in there ?
#6 at the firewall is a very common spot of the head gasket to blow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom