What is the largest tire I can fit with no lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like Nitto Ridge Grappler because they are more quiet vs. the KO2's, but wondering if anyone else has them installed in 275/70/18? As someone mentioned before, depending on tire manufacturer, same sized tires still may vary slightly in actual size. I just want to make sure the 275/70/18 will not rub stock without spacers.

I like Nitto Ridge Grappler because they are more quiet vs. the KO2's, but wondering if anyone else has them installed in 275/70/18? As someone mentioned before, depending on tire manufacturer, same sized tires still may vary slightly in actual size. I just want to make sure the 275/70/18 will not rub stock without spacers.
Currently running this size with Bilstein 4600 and OME 865s on Tundra TRD wheels with no spacers. NO rub. These tires (NexenAT? ) are whatever the previous owner had on the wheels. Looking at making the jump to Vredestein Pinza or KO2s in 285/65/18 next assuming you can still buy tires these days.

Currently running this size with Bilstein 4600 and OME 865s on Tundra TRD wheels with no spacers. NO rub. These tires (NexenAT? ) are whatever the previous owner had on the wheels. Looking at making the jump to Vredestein Pinza or KO2s in 285/65/18 next assuming you can still buy tires these days.
Curious what the draw is for this more obscure size when the larger ones fit fine?

Curious what the draw is for this more obscure size when the larger ones fit fine?
Simply put, the 285/65/18 is the most economical and offered by Vredestein which gets me E-rated and 3-ply sidewalls while still retaining some manners on the road. If I go KO2 route I have to spend nearly $50 per tire more for same size. If I go with a 33" or 275/75/18 it is a $45 difference. I do believe the 285/65/18 is the standard for 200 series trucks so with Tundra wheels it makes it plug-and-play for the 100 series. Please correct me where I am wrong so I am not expounding incorrect information.

Simply put, the 285/65/18 is the most economical and offered by Vredestein which gets me E-rated and 3-ply sidewalls while still retaining some manners on the road. If I go KO2 route I have to spend nearly $50 per tire more for same size. If I go with a 33" or 275/75/18 it is a $45 difference. I do believe the 285/65/18 is the standard for 200 series trucks so with Tundra wheels it makes it plug-and-play for the 100 series. Please correct me where I am wrong so I am not expounding incorrect information.
I thought that the factory 200 series (18”) tires were 285/60R18?

In the BFG family of tires, 285/65R18 seems to be an oddball size, that is hard to find, and cost ~$50 more per tire, than a much more common 275/70R18, but that might not be true for all manufacturers.

I thought that the factory 200 series (18”) tires were 285/60R18?

In the BFG family of tires, 285/65R18 seems to be an oddball size, that is hard to find, and cost ~$50 more per tire, than a much more common 275/70R18, but that might not be true for all manufacturers.
According to discount, ATD, TIre Rack they offer both sizes in the KO2. It appears the 200 crowd bumps up to 285/65 as we on the hundo side go from 275/65 to 275/70. But again that is my observation and is not based on facts. Regardless, the Vredestein seems to be the better choice for my needs and either size works for me. I just prefer the extra almost half an inch or so in width over the larger sidewall ratio for my area since we have some water ponding issues on the roads in the summer. Could be the minute difference in hydroplaning versus not. Logically it seems I can make the leap that since it could work on a 200 why not with a 100? Again, I can be totally off base and open to learning. I would totally jam a 33x12.5 in there if I could. But I doubt that is actually possible without hub-centric spacers or some small lifting of the front end. That is a deal breaker for me. Function over form 90% of the time. Butttt... sometimes things just look too cool and you kinda hafta do it. Like Frenching taillights. Cutting and flushing bumpers. Then it's 110% form.

According to discount, ATD, TIre Rack they offer both sizes in the KO2. It appears the 200 crowd bumps up to 285/65 as we on the hundo side go from 275/65 to 275/70. But again that is my observation and is not based on facts. Regardless, the Vredestein seems to be the better choice for my needs and either size works for me. I just prefer the extra almost half an inch or so in width over the larger sidewall ratio for my area since we have some water ponding issues on the roads in the summer. Could be the minute difference in hydroplaning versus not. Logically it seems I can make the leap that since it could work on a 200 why not with a 100? Again, I can be totally off base and open to learning. I would totally jam a 33x12.5 in there if I could. But I doubt that is actually possible without hub-centric spacers or some small lifting of the front end. That is a deal breaker for me. Function over form 90% of the time. Butttt... sometimes things just look too cool and you kinda hafta do it. Like Frenching taillights. Cutting and flushing bumpers. Then it's 110% form.

I’ve run both the 285/65R18, and 275/70R18 BFG KO2s on my 06 LX470. From the driver’s seat I didn’t notice much difference in the two sizes. On my most recent tire refresh it came down to what size would be readily available in a small town, and $50 savings per tire.

I’ve run both the 285/65R18, and 275/70R18 BFG KO2s on my 06 LX470. From the driver’s seat I didn’t notice much difference in the two sizes. On my most recent tire refresh it came down to what size would be readily available in a small town, and $50 savings per tire.
Pretty much my exact conclusion. Where the vehicle is located is a tiny town and getting anything there has been like pulling teeth even with shipping. To put it in perspective it takes Amazon five day minimum to get something to me. I suspect tires to be a month or so wait.

Pretty much my exact conclusion. Where the vehicle is located is a tiny town and getting anything there has been like pulling teeth even with shipping. To put it in perspective it takes Amazon five day minimum to get something to me. I suspect tires to be a month or so wait.
I’m fortunate (or unfortunate) to live in a large metropolitan area. 275/70R18 tires seem to be in-stock at most tire stores. 285/65R18 are typically a warehouse call away, and arrive at the store within 24 hours. My goal was to have a common tire size, in a common brand/model, that even a small town tire store might have, when I rip open a sidewall on a trip into BFE.

I don't have a 200, so I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think you may be conflating the two stock sizes offered to the world market of 285/60/18 and 285/65/17. 285/65/18 is a pretty unusual size as far as I know. Part of the reason I run 275/70/18s is that there is a better chance of finding a replacement in a pinch. The 285/65/18s are a tiny bit shorter and wider, but I think the modest 1/4-1/2" ground clearance is worth it and I like the extra sidewall for airing down. The 275s are plug and play as well (on stock wheels, ymmv on Tundras). I know nothing about Vredsteins but I definitely like known quantities when it comes to tires (bfg, cooper, gy, toyo etc) and is up to you to define value for yourself.

I don't have a 200, so I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I think you may be conflating the two stock sizes offered to the world market of 285/60/18 and 285/65/17. 285/65/18 is a pretty unusual size as far as I know. Part of the reason I run 275/70/18s is that there is a better chance of finding a replacement in a pinch. The 285/65/18s are a tiny bit shorter and wider, but I think the modest 1/4-1/2" ground clearance is worth it and I like the extra sidewall for airing down. The 275s are plug and play as well (on stock wheels, ymmv on Tundras). I know nothing about Vredsteins but I definitely like known quantities when it comes to tires (bfg, cooper, gy, toyo etc) and is up to you to define value for yourself.
You are probably correct about the conflation. I agree with the idea of a size that is more readily available. The company Vredestein is a pretty well know brand everywhere but the US. But, that being said since Tire Rack and ATD (United States' largest tire distributor) sell them so, I do not think obtaining them would be too difficult. Just really a matter of the phone/internets working properly. I may have to wait but in that case like anyone else you take what's available to get you home and then remedy the issue later and have a gently used spare tire. I still have some time before I pull the trigger on 5 tires. I need to continue the repairs from the PO. I am getting close but tires are on the list for this year. I appreciate the input from everyone. It is what makes this place an invaluable resource.

:deadhorse:

19 pages and counting
Hold up, did you just come on here to make a post that contributes nothing to a thread to complain about the length of the thread?:rofl:

You are probably correct about the conflation. I agree with the idea of a size that is more readily available. The company Vredestein is a pretty well know brand everywhere but the US. But, that being said since Tire Rack and ATD (United States' largest tire distributor) sell them so, I do not think obtaining them would be too difficult. Just really a matter of the phone/internets working properly. I may have to wait but in that case like anyone else you take what's available to get you home and then remedy the issue later and have a gently used spare tire. I still have some time before I pull the trigger on 5 tires. I need to continue the repairs from the PO. I am getting close but tires are on the list for this year. I appreciate the input from everyone. It is what makes this place an invaluable resource.
I hear you. It's definitely worth taking your time to get what you want, as you'll be stuck with it for 50k miles. I'll have to look at those Vredsteins, what is their claim to fame?

I hear you. It's definitely worth taking your time to get what you want, as you'll be stuck with it for 50k miles. I'll have to look at those Vredsteins, what is their claim to fame?
Originally designed for the super fancy European touring car, cars i.e. Porsche, AMG, BMW, etc. Then decided to get into the SUV, offroad stuff. I have a post on here talking about it with links and stuff. But it seems like the hybrid between the Michelin "dad shoes" and the all-terrain types. Since 95% of my stuff will be on-road, fire-road type of driving dollar for dollar these seem to be the call. Get the all-terrain look and some use with more road manners.

Hold up, did you just come on here to make a post that contributes nothing to a thread to complain about the length of the thread?:rofl:
Oh yes, I do it regularly. on this thread too! which makes my point that no one is reading what has been discussed ad infinitum:flipoff2:

Anyone seen a Method 316, 17x8 on a 100 series? Curious if they sit the way Rock Warriors with the 10mm spacer do. Also curious why I don’t see a lot of cruisers with them, are they ugly and I just don’t realize it 🤔?

Anyone seen a Method 316, 17x8 on a 100 series? Curious if they sit the way Rock Warriors with the 10mm spacer do. Also curious why I don’t see a lot of cruisers with them, are they ugly and I just don’t realize it 🤔?
Also, I should add I’m hoping to clear a 285/70R17, and it looks like people pull that off with Rock Warriors at stock height, this probably isn’t the right thread, it’s early, apologies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom