What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (66 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my front bib notched out for the Hydraulic lines and test fit. Bezel will get painted white, not sure which one yet? Suggestions welcomed. Still need to get my hinges painted body color. Got my PIAA super tone horns installed. They work with my stock relay so that was cool.

image.jpg

picked up some stuff today for the 47. got a straight steering rod, tool bag with all the tools, original bottle jack and a seat belt. something cool about original stuff...

DSC00767.JPG

Changed the bearings / seals on the knuckles. Plan was to do it "myself' but instead opted to have a mechanical do it:). just sat back and watched the show!

I actually got to wheel it a little this weekend! Yay. First time since shoulder surgery in Feb. Went up to Cisco Grove and played around at the Yuba river and found some cool areas I have no idea existed up there. Now I'm itching to go back and camp there.

The wife and I drove the 40 to the peak of Green Mountain at Elev. 4,048' NGVD.
The 40 did great all the way up and down, total trip about 4.5 hours.

Anyway the views were awesome and the air was crisp and no bears in sight.

full

The terrain beat the snot out of my hitch basket can holder, one of the welds broke loose, only had about a 150 Lbs of load on it, time to re-weld it.
full

I have the HF cargo basket also, but mine has the "cage" all the way around. Where did the welds break, on the basket or hitch? Nice shots by the way.

I have the HF cargo basket also, but mine has the "cage" all the way around. Where did the welds break, on the basket or hitch? Nice shots by the way.

It was the first weld after the receiver, here's a pic.
full

Danny, I agree having 4 bolts in lieu of two is better, that joint is a very weak point. Mine was damaged like this, I momentarily got distracted while driving and drove into a crater/pot hole, while climbing the mountain, that jarred the vehicle forcefully downward and immediately upward, and that's when the weld cracked, because of the up/down force the cans exerted to the weld. The cans full of gas and water weighed around 150 Lbs, the down force was probably around 300 Lbs, I was surprised it didn't shear completely. Anyway, my basket was not intended for off-road vehicle use, I think they are rated for ATV use, but I'll fix that.

This weekend I took my truck up to Bonnaroo from Charlotte. It was about 760 miles round trip. The truck handled it well but brought a couple issues to light. The fan belt would start squealing going uphill in the mountains, the engine would get a little warm (never past the 2/3 mark), and one of the rocker arm adjusting screws was worn improperly so I had to adjust it 3 times in total. I knew it might be an issue but the 10 minutes to adjust it didn't seem like a big deal. Now I'll probably need to replace the pushrod and screw.

Anyway, I've got 35" tires that allowed me to cruise nicely between 65 and 70 getting around 14 mpg.

And people friggin loved the truck. Lots of waves on the highway. A lot of people walking by in camp that complimented it and a couple picture takers. One girl asked to sit in it while I walked away to check out the cluster**** to get in. While idling to camp another girl jumped in the back on top of our stuff to say hi and tell us how much she loved it. Top picture is our camp. I brought a couple pieces of 3/4" EMT (conduit) that I put in a 3" PVC pipe held to the roof rack with 4 hose clamps. If you drill a hole near the top of the EMT you can add a hook for the tarp and then guy it out and have a fairly solid awning for cheap. Let me know or message me if you want more details.

upload_2015-6-16_21-47-50.png
upload_2015-6-16_21-48-40.png

Installed OEM fogs and the crank handle guide.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434586211.938704.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434586235.155025.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom