What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just rolling the ball a little further each day.
LX stuff 014.jpg
LX stuff 017.jpg

Looking for a remflex gasket to fix my exhaust leak and drove it all week to and from work. Fixed my rear lights. I will need to replace the harness to get it done right since the PO hacked the harness.

Got the fiancé to help out with the tbi conversion!
image-2162815138.jpg

The best thing I've done for my Cruiser yet- new shocks to replace the originals- which were of course shot.

I can not believe how much better this thing rides now. It takes bumps without throwing all my **** in the air. I don't have to slow down for those dips in the road as I did before. The terrible wheel balance issue that cam with my STA tires is significantly lessened. Its a whole new truck- highly recommended maintenance. If you are riding around on old shocks- Bilstein 5125's on all corners- you'll love the difference.

Pete

Pete, which exact model 5125s did you use? There are several.

Installed a Flowkooler 1668 High Volume water pump

picture.php

and a Flex-a-lite 7 blade fan.

picture.php

I already had a Mr Gasket high volume 160 degree thermostat. Now my 40 doesn't get above 170 degrees in drive or low rpm's.

Last edited:
I changed the bell housing donut bushings.

Started tearing down the donor FJ62 for my 2FE conversion into the FJ40. Man, that truck is nasty...grease and oil covers almost everything. Fortunately there was almost no coolant in it, but the thermo housing was very clean...no rust or evidence of oil. There was some chunky white stuff almost like something precipitated out of the coolant. That or someone tried to use leakstop, but I don't know what that looks like.

GR starter which was quite easy and is pretty cool
Plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, pcv valve.
Seafoam treatment in gas tank, intake manifold and crankcase.
Fire extinguisher
Valve adjustment, carb adjustment, compression test and grease fittings this weekend then the advanced tuneup will be complete.

Moe R said:
Just rolling the ball a little further each day.

Love the matching steering stabiliser Moe- wish I'd have thought of that when I painted my rig.

Just get under the car with a two 19mm wrenches and a 19mm socket ratchet wrench. Use the socket on the to and the wrench on the bottom on the passenger side. Easy as pie.
Drivers' side you have to get to the head which is inside the frame. You should be able to get just a little enough bite to loosen it up.

I put a 4x4 block of wood on my jack and lifted it from under the transmission. You will have to lift it quite a bit because the old bushing are smushed flat. Once you get the bushing in stick in the bolt to line everything up and set her down. reorient the drivers side bolt and put her together. Watch out because the bolts are different sizes.

I have a set of those ready to install but I'm not quite sure the best way to get at them. Any advice?

First post, may as well start here as an introduction. I have a 74 FJ40 I bought in the mid 80s. Drove it as my primary transport through college. Job commute pushed me to something more practical and it has sat for 15 years at least, occasional starts to see if it would still go.
Last week, my son said "dad, we should see if we can get the old cruiser running". New plugs, oil, battery, brake fluid in the master and clutch reservoirs and some gas and it fired up. I was shocked, the kid was ecstatic. As it ran we discovered that the water pump leaked, the lights don't work, brakes are sketchy at best, and I have to pump the clutch several times to get it to work.
Looks like a project...I have been looking over some of the stuff in these forums and I hope as I try to do to this, that I can throw questions out there and tap into some of the expertise.

Just get under the car with a two 19mm wrenches and a 19mm socket ratchet wrench. Use the socket on the to and the wrench on the bottom on the passenger side. Easy as pie.
Drivers' side you have to get to the head which is inside the frame. You should be able to get just a little enough bite to loosen it up.

I put a 4x4 block of wood on my jack and lifted it from under the transmission. You will have to lift it quite a bit because the old bushing are smushed flat. Once you get the bushing in stick in the bolt to line everything up and set her down. reorient the drivers side bolt and put her together. Watch out because the bolts are different sizes.

That's really helpful. Thanks :beer::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom