What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorta have a rolling chassis. Decided to just replace the rear of the tub. Ordered main bearings and a cam on May 25th 2022 and still haven’t received them so the engine machining is holding me up. Anyone know why a 1981 has an extended axle breather for the rear but no the front. Looks factory, comes out of the proportioning valve and has a frame hanger.

A0B7F2C7-7AE9-46BD-B3A2-AA573A5F70C1.jpeg

49D2BF3F-B809-4267-99F6-096619D62C2E.jpeg

Sorta have a rolling chassis. Decided to just replace the rear of the tub. Ordered main bearings and a cam on May 25th 2022 and still haven’t received them so the engine machining is holding me up. Anyone know why a 1981 has an extended axle breather for the rear but no the front. Looks factory, comes out of the proportioning valve and has a frame hanger.

View attachment 3185505

View attachment 3185506
I don’t have an answer for you, but my 1980 has the same

When I was a new recruit first time out to sea the guys in the boiler room sent me up to the bridge for some stack gas.
I had friends that had been in the navy and was set wise to the hazing's so spent almost an hour top deck goofing off before I went back down in the hole. (Boiler room)
When asked what took so long I told them that I checked in with every division and then went to the Capitan.
He told me over coffee what a bunch of jokers you guys were and if you gave me any more grief to come to him and he would straighten you all out.
I was a bit of a problem child during my hitch but I think that first episode set the standard and no one gave me much guff after that.
Yes, lot's of good ones in the Navy. Go to CIC for relative bearing grease, boiler room for a BT punch or a bucket of steam.

Not yet but getting ready to, I have learned the painful way that if you want something done right, do it yourself👍

Wow that is the truth!! Seems like every time I pay the expert I am disappointed. Not just automotive but home improvement as well.

And I thought I was the only one who had that problem... every time... every day.

We hired the largest, and most well known roofing company in town. We were withholding final payment until they came out and looked at some areas that appeared to have problems... they wouldn't. The roofing manufacturer inspected the roof and said it needed to be reroofed. A year later, after they'd sued us, they were replacing the 30 year warranty roof. Now, 11 years later & 15 repair trips later for one section of roof, they tried to tell us it was no longer under warranty. :bang:

I paid a well known, reputable shop, to rebuild my 40 trans and T-case. everything went smoothly as best I recalled. A couple years later I discovered they used an Oxy-Acetylene torch to trim the corner off my trans mount on the frame. I spent an hour (or more) modifying that mount to clear the T-case. The very lease they could have done was to clean it up with a grinder/sander and hit it with some paint. Even better would be to not take a torch to my frame. I got in solo without cutting it and without any fancy shop tools... I don't get why in a shop full mechanics and specialty tools couldn't figure it out. 😡

a shop full mechanics and specialty tools couldn't figure it out.

And that's your problem right there.

Having worked as a mechanic in the exact same scenario, I am well-versed in the kind of butt-f*ckery and *ss-hattery that goes on in those places, regardless of reputation and certifications.

Nothing beats a smart guy who really cares about what comes out of his/her shop.

And that's your problem right there.

Having worked as a mechanic in the exact same scenario, I am well-versed in the kind of butt-f*ckery and *ss-hattery that goes on in those places, regardless of reputation and certifications.

Nothing beats a smart guy who really cares about what comes out of his/her shop.
As a past shop owner hiring good mechanics was always a challenge.

can't remember, 16" and bought online........ didn't understand backspace when I ordered and not ideal, needed to add like an inch spacer........

I saw these the other day on a ride in town. The Nomad wheels are similar in appearance. Apparently they need no spacer. Nice width, 15x7, grey. They were mounted on 33x9.5 and looked proper minus the logo on the center cap or whatever. Below, your ride next to Nomads. Anyone on this sub forum using these wheels?

wheels.jpg

Ordered some Euro style mirrors from Japan.
I won’t miss those OEM floppy ones😎
4BFB4307-C4CB-41EA-8C70-F058C6582AA9.jpeg

These crack after two hot summers in the desert making them worthless.
ABA8A3CC-271D-4203-AB06-48A800C1905F.jpeg

67BFDC15-1821-430C-A0EE-909011E774BC.jpeg

DACFC883-E7F0-4842-9F56-825E85BFB926.jpeg

The glass seems better quality than the other set.
57E27166-A1F4-4101-A58A-C7F6CBE6620D.jpeg

I wanted to give City Racer some business but he’s been out of stock for some time. The new set came from a seller on eBay.
Ordered on November 7 and they arrived on Monday December 5th.

My 40 is my DD again and so I've been trying to get it back into shape. Its been sitting at my friends house for 3 years while I lived in japan.

Anybody else have the issue of starting more than one project at a time on their rig and end up spending more time than just getting one at a time done 😤 or even finishing...

Just got these aftermarket window regulators and contemplating painting them now or later. If I install them now, will I take them back out to repaint? Why would they come in gold?!

20221208_195110.jpg

My 40 is my DD again and so I've been trying to get it back into shape. Its been sitting at my friends house for 3 years while I lived in japan.

Anybody else have the issue of starting more than one project at a time on their rig and end up spending more time than just getting one at a time done 😤 or even finishing...

Just got these aftermarket window regulators and contemplating painting them now or later. If I install them now, will I take them back out to repaint? Why would they come in gold?!

View attachment 3188886
I feel your pain, Sir!
I have two FJ55s and two 80 series in the queue right now.
None of them on the road.
With the severe supply chain issues this has actually been a blessing and dovetails nicely into my ADHD.
When I can't get pistons, rings, gaskets or seals for one project I can pivot to another one until I hit a wall there.
At this point I have given up getting a cam, lifters or roller rockers for the 8.1L going in the 1994.
I can't afford the synthetic gear oil or clutch parts for the six speed in the 1997.
I'm down to rust mitigation and reassembly on the 1973.
Actually got the 4.5L from the 1997 rebuilt, so I'm swapping it out with the one I blew up in the 1994 (instead of installing the 8.1L).
I'm largely down to hand fabricating stuff on the V8 swap(s) and basic fabrication materials like steel have doubled or tripled in price.
I tried to buy a 4' X 8' sheet of diamond plate for some skid plates and it has gone up to $960.00, if you can find it.
Machine shops here are backed 6-12 weeks depending on the job and charge 20-40% more for the privilege.

I feel your pain, Sir!
I have two FJ55s and two 80 series in the queue right now.
None of them on the road.
With the severe supply chain issues this has actually been a blessing and dovetails nicely into my ADHD.
When I can't get pistons, rings, gaskets or seals for one project I can pivot to another one until I hit a wall there.
At this point I have given up getting a cam, lifters or roller rockers for the 8.1L going in the 1994.
I can't afford the synthetic gear oil or clutch parts for the six speed in the 1997.
I'm down to rust mitigation and reassembly on the 1973.
Actually got the 4.5L from the 1997 rebuilt, so I'm swapping it out with the one I blew up in the 1994 (instead of installing the 8.1L).
I'm largely down to hand fabricating stuff on the V8 swap(s) and basic fabrication materials like steel have doubled or tripled in price.
I tried to buy a 4' X 8' sheet of diamond plate for some skid plates and it has gone up to $960.00, if you can find it.
Machine shops here are backed 6-12 weeks depending on the job and charge 20-40% more for the privilege.
The supply chain is in shambles and seems to be getting worse not better. I work in the aviation industry and if things do not improve we are going to see a lot of grounded airplanes for lack of parts.

View attachment 3188886

I bought a set of SOR regulators from a third party. They don’t look as gold as yours, but they are more gold than pewter. Can’t tell you why.

I couldn’t really complain when I bought them from someone else who bought them from SOR. Since OEM are NLA, what can you do… other than shop for a different aftermarket supplier. However, my hunch is they are coming from one or two manufacturers and then being resold.

Every time I see your avatar…..View attachment 3189623
Good looking GSP! Used to hunt with one - he would run circles around my setter!

Re: the avatar, we just lost my buddy in the back of that pic. He was my sidekick and I miss him greatly. Have just made the call to get another, but he will never be replaced.

Good looking GSP! Used to hunt with one - he would run circles around my setter!

Re: the avatar, we just lost my buddy in the back of that pic. He was my sidekick and I miss him greatly. Have just made the call to get another, but he will never be replaced.
Sorry to hear. I told my wife when this one goes (she’s almost 11), I don’t think I’ll be up for another dog for quite awhile. Dirty little mutts really get you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom