What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At the advice of @bikersmurf (thanks!)
I pulled my valve cover again and front engine hook and gave them the Austosol treatment.
If anyone is looking for a fun inexpensive project with visible results, I suggest giving er a go.

1022221519 (1) Autosol V cover.jpg

My plan was to remove the front diff on my '78 parts vehicle and install it on my '72, giving me disc brakes. I did all the work to remove it, then decided there were too many issues, problems, things in general I didn't like about it. So, I just put it back in and decided that I would just buy a disc brake conversion kit. I would have been just as well off to sit on the couch and watch tv all day. Oh well... practice makes perfect.

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

Took it on it’s first test drive. Still lots of work to do but it was good to have it move under it’s own power.

1D42E761-38C5-4031-AECE-8E5CFEC98D47.jpeg

Last edited:
At one point, thought I had my engine rebuild done correctly, except that 1 drop after 50 miles of driving. It helps to read the FSM, and remember what you read.

I had a leak around timing cover , so I tighten the bolts some - what I didn't do is put silicon on the bolts per directions. In tightening vs silicon, the holes in gasket pooched out from overtightening. Oops

Also - thought I could speedy sleeve the harmonic balancer - I forgot to pay more attention to it (also got a new balancer too if sleeve not appropriate). Sleeve is not. Looks like PO put sleeve on and it must have come loose in it's life.

That is all done, now get radiator back on.

IMG-2703.JPEG

68823674482--32A8B541-371A-4AA9-9205-3660892EDE4E.JPEG

68823187988--128C41D5-F6B3-425D-BEEE-81AAA41A004C.JPEG

IMG-2704.JPEG

IMG-2705.JPEG

IMG-2708.JPEG

Last edited:
@Tank5 May I steal that picture to put up a wanted to buy? I would refer to the windshield frame with the vent. Pardon my ignorance but what years had that and would it fit my ‘72-‘78 Project WTF? That looks tuff!!

@Tank5 May I steal that picture to put up a wanted to buy? I would refer to the windshield frame with the vent. Pardon my ignorance but what years had that and would it fit my ‘72-‘78 Project WTF? That looks tuff!!

The windshield frame with the vent based on my experience was found on 40s and 45s from the early 60s to about 1966. There are differences on how the frame latched internally at the dash and 40 vs 45 roof latch provisions. Some were bolted in a fixed position and others had latches so it could be folded forward and there were some early fixed top 45s that had them permanently attached. I love the look of the lower vent window frame but one of the biggest disadvantages to fitting it on your later cruiser is the windshield wiper motors. The ones that fit the early frame are technically no longer available, now hard to find and expensive if you do. There are some hotrod shop versions you could mount up but they are not an exact fit from what I have seen. You would also need to modify how the frame is secured inside at the dash. If this is something you really want to do let me know. I tend to hoard the things I like and have an extra frame that has been modified already to fit later 40s like yours. I would consider selling it, just send me a PM.

Are you building a 40 or 45.

Last edited:
Johnny Cash 1972-78 40 series. I agree on the windshield wipers. I may have to eat my words and not look for one. It’s just that the airflow looks much more aggressive with the one you have.

E32460CE-11CE-4FB0-9CC9-8C6D459FE01C.jpeg

Johnny Cash 1972-78 40 series. I agree on the windshield wipers. I may have to eat my words and not look for one. It’s just that the airflow looks much more aggressive with the one you have.

View attachment 3148655
It looks like your windshield is complete and indecent condition. I personally wouldn't go through the trouble if I had what you have already. The airflow is ok from the widow vent but rolling the window down is more effective in my opinion.

61ish fj40 fst. Discovered dry carb, poor fuel pump. May have to rebuild both. Anyone know who does large window single bbl carb work?

Got a great deal on this 8274 yesterday. Needs a clutch assembly. Paid $300 for it. Just have to figure out which 40 it will go on once it's working.

20221025_145354.jpg

WHYD to your Cruiser this week?
Renewed the F engine on the 1973 FJ55.
Stripped it
cleaned it
reamed the ridges
honed cylinders
installed new rings and rod bearings
lapped the valves
installed new valve guide seals
repaired oil pickup
straightened the intake and header surfaces