What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (24 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excited to find 2 threaded mounting holes for relays on my aftermarket fenders, 40's don't need anymore holes.
relays.jpg

This just showed up on the flea bay. Up to $1 so far. Reserve hasn't been met. Too shiny for me and someone didn't take much care in the description. 1964 FJ cruiser (it is a 45) with an inline v6. There are no pictures of anything but the shiny paint.

Ashtray rust.JPG

Rust inside ashtray. Not what I'd expect on a restored rig.

Regulator upside down.JPG

Aftermarket window regulators are upside down and colour doesn't match. (Yes, I spelled colour different... deal with it ;) )

2F-V6.JPG

2F engine (Listed as a "V6" by someone who doesn't know Crusers or cars for that matter).

Shif pattern sticker.JPG

Shift sticker not plate.

Filler.JPG

Rust around gas filler.

Just imagine all the things that don't show in the 5 pictures I could post. I would expect some surprises and wouldn't buy without an in-person inspection.

Found a couple more worth posting...

Box Rust.JPG

More rust.

Frame Damage.JPG

Damage to frame.

Screwy shackle angle.JPG

Shackle angle is messed up.

Mystery Bolts.JPG

Movie was from last year, looks like a “let’s try and get rid of it this way” kinda thing.
The add gives me bad vibes.🤷🏼‍♂️

I did a few things to the FJ40 today, so going to be greedy and make 2 posts, cause I took enough pictures. First up. My 44 year old clutch pedal pad bit the dust. I ordered 2 new OEM pads from my local Toyota dealer to do new clutch and brake pads to last 44 more years, but only one has come in so far. Love getting OEM parts for this!

PedalPadNew.jpg

Easiest install of any part recently:
PedalPadInstalled.jpg

The brake pad should come in soon. Now on to something a bit more involved...

Next up, I ordered a new heater blower resistor from @Racer65, along with a new stainless steel bolt for it. Here's the goods:

ResistorParts.jpg

Now, technically this part is meant for year models 79+ cause it has a connector on the blower motor side that my '78 doesn't have. No worries though. I just got with @Coolerman and ordered the right Toyota specific connectors. Here is the specimen prepped for the procedure:

ResitstorSurgery.jpg

And the completed procedure:

ResitstorSurgeryDone.jpg

I also had to clean and prep the bracket a little bit. The old resistor didn't want to come lose, but some aggressive persuasion made it change its mind:

ResistorBracket.jpg

Lastly, here it is. But one more thing to note: the wiring harness on the 79+ part was too short and was in a bind. No worries though. I had ordered a spare 3 pin terminal from @Coolerman just in case, and that was fortunate. I was able to turn the old harness into a 1 foot long extension for the new part using all Toyota OEM connectors.

ResistorEdited.jpg

Ya'll have a great week!

Next up, I ordered a new heater blower resistor from @Racer65, along with a new stainless steel bolt for it. Here's the goods:

View attachment 3079985

Now, technically this part is meant for year models 79+ cause it has a connector on the blower motor side that my '78 doesn't have. No worries though. I just got with @Coolerman and ordered the right Toyota specific connectors. Here is the specimen prepped for the procedure:

View attachment 3079989

View attachment 3079990

I also had to clean and prep the bracket a little bit. The old resistor didn't want to come lose, but some aggressive persuasion made it change its mind:

View attachment 3079991

Lastly, here it is. But one more thing to note: the wiring harness on the 79+ part was too short and was in a bind. No worries though. I had ordered a spare 3 pin terminal from @Coolerman just in case, and that was fortunate. I was able to turn the old harness into a 1 foot long extension for the new part using all Toyota OEM connectors.

View attachment 3080000

Ya'll have a great week!
Not to be overlooked is the stainless screw. The original screw for some reason is usually thoroughly rusted.

I did a few things to the FJ40 today, so going to be greedy and make 2 posts, cause I took enough pictures. First up. My 44 year old clutch pedal pad bit the dust. I ordered 2 new OEM pads from my local Toyota dealer to do new clutch and brake pads to last 44 more years, but only one has come in so far. Love getting OEM parts for this!

View attachment 3079976

Easiest install of any part recently:
View attachment 3079979

The brake pad should come in soon. Now on to something a bit more involved...

View attachment 3079985

View attachment 3079989

View attachment 3079990

View attachment 3079991

View attachment 3080000

Ya'll have a great week!
I've got a new set of pedal pads for my '74 I was just going to install... and I need to resolder one of the wires onto my resistor.

I guess these old trucks all need the same things done. :D

Rebuild the carburetor. First time doing a carb rebuild so this was all new to me; pretty happy with the outcome. Wanted to detail a bit more but this is a driver so you eventually have to move on.

View attachment 3079742View attachment 3079743View attachment 3079745View attachment 3079744
View attachment 3079746

This is the Tightest OEM 2F late model , He’ll any OEM land cruiser model AISAN carburetor I have seen in a long long time mr. @Pitter Patter , seeing then realizing & knowing a bit of what all you did here this is worthy of a stand alone 40 series TECH. Thread without question …

You should be a proud person . Because details matter and you have them going on without question here ….

Matt

IT'S FINALLY HERE-
IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

I've been looking for an OEM dash pad for 3 years that could be had for under $400. Finally, thanks to a big sale last March I was able score this one for $350 from a little Toyota dealer in Alabama. Free shipping - WHOO HOO :bounce::bounce2:

Also found mirrors for 77 and 78 - $103 for the pair:

IMG_0821.JPG

MESOHAPPY!!!

Made a spare tire mount for the NOS Crown Automotive Jerry Can Holder I found this winter. The Jerry Can was my Dad's. I think he would be impressed that I can now stick metal together reasonably well. No plans to carry fuel, just a discussion piece.

Also installed a third brake/signal light on the the Jerry Can. Light is manufactured by a friend of mine.

Not to be overlooked is the stainless screw. The original screw for some reason is usually thoroughly rusted.
Yes sir! Ordered that from you too. I installed it today with a stainless M5x0.8 nylock nut. Thank you sir for providing this part, you have had the 24v one forever, but when you got the 12v one I sprang on it! And thank you for your whole site, it's been a life saver!

ResistorBolt.jpg

Today I finally found my IH8MUD sticker. I had "put it up" so that I "could find it" once I got the 40 running. Now nearly 2 years later I finally ran across it. I put it right under the PO sticker that I am going to leave on there.

IH8MUDsticker.jpg

Loosely assembled my newly rebuilt manifold. Now it’s headed for a box in the basement like everything else since the tub is coming apart, engine will soon be disassembled and all the things are happening. It was a much bigger job than I anticipated and a lot more expensive than I estimated. Toyota thinks those springs and clips that hold the outer exhaust manifold pipes together are worth a lot-o-$ as is all that hardware but it was a fun project and I learned a lot about extracting broken bolts.
07009E3B-8D2B-46E6-92A1-EFF5AC2071BF.jpeg
B191C6B1-24AE-4597-8295-0CE03686B754.jpeg
DF754C46-E8BF-4541-8C43-2B8CFE395F2A.jpeg
8617685A-4862-4DDC-868E-70D4E8E51187.jpeg
5CE8176A-8C50-4CE8-A874-EECA1BF7F263.jpeg

Loosely assembled my newly rebuilt manifold. Now it’s headed for a box in the basement like everything else since the tub is coming apart, engine will soon be disassembled and all the things are happening. It was a much bigger job than I anticipated and a lot more expensive than I estimated. Toyota thinks those springs and clips that hold the outer exhaust manifold pipes together are worth a lot-o-$ as is all that hardware but it was a fun project and I learned a lot about extracting broken bolts.
View attachment 3080911View attachment 3080913View attachment 3080914View attachment 3080915View attachment 3080916
Have you been doing all the re-plating of your parts like what is seen above and on your carb rebuild a few posts ago? These parts look incredible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom